U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 25,277 times

Advertisements

Hello- thanks for reading this! I live in Westchester County, NY and intend to move to Milford, CT next year. I LOVE the town, it seems like a nice New England town. I originally was looking in Stratford, but parking at Metro North there seems impossible, so I have begun to look for houses in Milford, CT. This morning I went to purchase a yearly pass for Metro North (to secure it for when I move) and now it looks like those are on a waiting list too. Since I am not sure whether the house I will purchse will be close to Metro North or not - does anyone know anything about the parking situation at Metro North? Are there other places - close to - to park at? I am really concerned because I have my heart set on Milford, but the commute to NYC (80+ mins) will be long and I don't want to spend a long time in the morning worrying about parking. Thank you so much for your time. I encourage anyone to leave any other additional information about Milford that they would like, e.g. people, shopping, the town, crime, taxes, etc. I do not have kids and have no plans for them so I am not as concerned about schools. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 PM

53 posts, read 195,325 times
Hi Tat,

I am a Milford resident since last 2 years and i moved here from Hamedn, this is one of the jewel outside of the Fairfield county, but still in the commuting distance of NYC. Yes, for parking you have to wait, but there are spots around the train station where you can park also. I have friends who commute to Stamford, white plains, and NYC from Milford and have no issues. The parking provided by train station may have a queue and you have to register yourself there, but like i have said there are other parking lots right near the train station you should inquire about. I have a friend who actually parks in the library everyday and she has been doing that with no issues since last 2 years, while i would not recommend that...i am sure if you look around for other private parking stations around the train station , you should be able to find something. As far as Milford, the town goes, you can't go wrong with this. In terms of growth of any CT town, it was listed in top 5/6 town consistently. Its very young, vibrant, has a nice mall , new whole foods being put up on post road...things are definatley looking up. The town is liberal compare to Orange and is very business friendly compare to other towns sorrounding it.They are also going to put up the biggest board walk connecting all the beaches of Milford.

If you like the house, inquire about the parking...you won't go wrong with town for sure...

my wife and i are just in love with this town...

Hope that helps , CoolStrom.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM

53 posts, read 195,325 times
Oh yes, and as far as crime goes...its very safe, and it also has a nice walkeable green (downtown). Taxes have gone up a little in last couple of years, but again..its not like NJ by any means and town's business friendly policies, encourages the businesses and tries to keep the taxes low. We are also spoiled with the fact that everything you can can think of is available on Boston Post Road in Milford going into Orange-West haven, so you don't have to make miles of commute to get to your groceries...we didn't want to do that and it was the right fit for us.

HTH,Coolstrom

Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 25,277 times
Default Thank you!

Hi CoolStrom,

Thanks so much! One other question came to mind, are there are restriction to street parking in Milford i.e. if I have people over on a weekend and a few are parking on my street - would they need a permit? I know in some towns in westchster - Pelham, Larchmont for example - you cannot park on the street unless you are a resident with a sticker in your window - even if it is on the street in front of their home. Are there any restrictions like that to parking in front of your home in Milford? Again, thank you!!! Best, TAT

Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 PM

8,473 posts, read 9,837,373 times
Permit parking isn't a huge issue on public streets in Connecticut. Primarily, it's only instituted in neighborhoods that are within .5mile of the beach, or on a high-density multi-zoned street in an inner-city.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 30,147 times
Default Beach Boardwalks in Milford?

Coolstrom -- regarding your post/comment on the proposed boardwalk connecting all Milford beaches -- is this true, has it been approved and any idea when this is going to happen? We just bought a home in Milford. That would be exciting! Also, any news on the Whole Foods opening on Post Road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut