Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM

154 posts, read 686,227 times

Advertisements

We're not local and are looking at a house for sale on South Quaker Rd ( the 500 block).From the satellite pictures it looks like a main road and we do have two kids so I'm wondering if it's a really busy area (i.e. noise, traffic, etc.) and maybe not suitable for kids....

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,000,317 times
Moderately busy. I seem to recall at least one bus route also runs along that stretch of South Quaker Lane. It is not a commercial district however and aside from I believe a church or two in the area it is basically residential.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 6,527,927 times
I agree with WILW - its not commercial, but it is busier. Probably not the best if you are concerned about children and potential noise.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,000,317 times
My Grandparents used to live on St. James St. which is just a few blocks up the road from this address.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
We used to live on a fairly busy street and that's why, when we were looking for a house in West Hartford, we avoided Prospect, Farmington, Trout Brook, Main, Quaker Lane, Albany, etc...

That's not to say that everyone would have a problem with it -- it just wasn't what we wanted the second time around.

I didn't like the idea of walking the dog on a busy-ish street, so you might not like the idea of your kids on one.

I think it's a subjective matter, though. Someone might find our neighborhood too quiet. Y'know what I mean?

That said, Quaker Lane is not as busy as, say, Farmington Ave or Main.

Sorry, that didn't help much. Bottom line is that Quaker Lane is a busy-ish street.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM

154 posts, read 686,227 times
that actually helped a lot - thanks!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM

103 posts, read 426,466 times
I once lived on South Quaker Lane in the 300 block and I found it only moderately busy. I had no problem walking my dog because I was right aroud the corner from a pretty quiet area of streets. The area I lived in had sidewalks and was near a light so traffic couldn't go that fast but the area you're looking at has more of an open road.

It may not be the most peaceful area but I think it's pretty hard to find a really quiet part of West Hartford- there are just too many people and there is the background noise of 84.

There are a few parks nearby but not exactly walking distance.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
Karelise,

As I was walking my dog this morning, I happened to notice a number of homes for sale in my neighborhood. It's a very quiet area (maybe too quiet for you, as it's a bit removed from the Center?) and we are soooo happy here. It has a true neighborhood feel, and it's a cul de sac so there's no extraneous traffic.

I don't remember what price range you were originally looking at, but I don't think these homes are particularly expensive. When we bought it, we were (and are) definitely in budget mode, and the market has dropped even more since then (a year ago next month).

If you'd like to know more, private message me and I'll tell you the 3-4 streets in the cul de sac. You can then ask a real estate agent for info on the houses for sale here.

Oh, and you'd have at least two friendly neighbors right away... US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut