Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecake View Post
I never said that it wasn't slavery. What I said was "the terms and ideas" that we use to define slavery have a different meaning from today's modern definition. In the Bible both types of slavery, voluntary and involuntary, are clearly reflected. However, as I stated, there were Laws one was to abide to when owning a slave, otherwise there would be penalities. Did people abide by them in Biblical times? Of course not. Does that mean GOD encouraged the practice because it was talked about in the Bible. No, it was more a matter of an acknowledgement of the practice but with tight regulations.

Also, consider this...........do you have a credit card with a zero balance? Do you own a house with a mortgage? Is your car paid off? If said no to any of those, then like the rest of us, we are what in ancient times would be considered the classic definition of a slave..........to the bank that is. The only difference is as a slave you'd be living at your Master's house. In this case probably in the guest room of the CEO of Bank of America's house working your debt off. Especially for such a large debt like the one given out for a house or a car. Without knowing it, you are already a slave to the likes of Wells Fargo or Chase Manhattan Bank. If we were living in ancient Jewish society, our debt would be forgiven after 7 years. A 30 year mortgage payment? Now that's slavery!
stretching....

perhaps the terms and ideas that were used to define homosexuality in biblical times are different now too?? and FYI - i have no credit card debt, I have no car loans and if i wanted to I could sell my home and rent, therefore releasing myself from the "slavery" of the banking industry. Its my choice to be a "slave". Most wouldn't have had that choice years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Well, I hated CT to begin with, now I've lost all respect for CT.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Oh behave! BTW, I see you in your profile that you desire "orientation" about sex. We can do that in CT now! BWA-HA-HA!!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Oh behave! BTW, I see you in your profile that you desire "orientation" about sex. We can do that in CT now! BWA-HA-HA!!
You're in CT already? I thought you were going to Minneapolis? Is this perhaps the reason you moved to CT?

I was drunk when I made that profile

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
You're in CT already? I thought you were going to Minneapolis? Is this perhaps the reason you moved to CT?

I was drunk when I made that profile
CT flew onto my radar as soon as I had heard that it had approved same-sex marriage. Minneapolis is a place I'd most certainly like to visit, but I'd be too isolated. The rest of my family is here in PA or in L.A. I'm not in CT yet. I'll be there most likely in June 2009.

Drunk, eh? That's the BEST time to make a pass at a straight guy. Don't you know anything about tasteless romance? LOL!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 AM

163 posts, read 374,838 times
You're not alone. Corrupticut really sux lately. Especially with this thread discussion, no pun intended.

Quote:

Old 10-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Drunk, eh? That's the BEST time to make a pass at a straight guy. Don't you know anything about tasteless romance? LOL!
I'm a straight guy, and I don't have homosexual tendencies when I'm drunk. If someone of the same sex made a pass at me I would probably flip out.
I don't think you want to move to CT. Have you read the state forum lately? Apparently the state is being invaded by illegals and corrupt officials. I just hated the state because everything is almost as expensive as NYC.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Glad you can control your sexual impulses when drunk or sober

But what does gay marriage have to do with the political and economic climate in Connecticut?

Does not NH have gay civil Unions? And I would hardly say that NH is immune from those horrible illegals.

In the end-you can run, but never hide. The corrupt officials? Whom? John Rowland- and who else?

Corruption in politics runs all political spectrum's-

Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Who said anything about hate or fear? Please dont put words in my mouth. I dont even dissagree with it. I just recognize it as what it is. Its not about rights. Its about people refusing to deal with the reality of sexual relationships.
How is it not about rights? What its really about is equality. Not sure what you mean by "people refusing to deal with the reality of sexual relationships."

Quote:
ont tell me about respect. I respect homosexuals, the issue is that some of them refuse to respect the rest of us.
How is it that homosexuals don't respect heterosexuals? By wanting a bit more inclusive environment that treats us with a shread of respect, rather than the usual derogatory, sensationalized negative statements our detractors are known to project toward us?

Quote:
What rights or freedoms are withheld from homosexuals? They have all the rights that everyone else has.
Where does it end? It should end short of marriage.
Its similar to people in whele chairs seeking to change the laws because they have no use of their legs. Or, regarding drug addicts its the same as saying, ok we know you cant help it so you just shoot dope into your arm & we will consider it the equivilent of a diabetic injecting insulin.
How do homosexuals have all the rights that heteros have? It is still legal to fire someone if their homosexual in 37 states. It's completely legal to fire them from their job, take away their children. It's completely legal in every state which does not have a gay marriage law to refuse them the ability to visit their spouse in a hospital. And even in the states which have passed gay rights laws, there are ways around it. Homosexuality is not the same as being a diabetic or a drug addict. It is not pathological, and if homosexual people are respected and encouraged to be who they are it won't effect you or your children because you can't "catch" it; it's not a disease. ---and actually I served in the U.S. Navy and truthfully it wasn't a problem, even with southern rednecks, the vast majority couldn't have cared less.

Quote:
Huh? Does one need to change the world in order to tolerate homosexuality? I have no, zero, trouble tolerating homosexuality. I just refuse to consider it normal enough to put on equal footing with normal marriages, not because I hate anyone, but rather because its not remotely the same.
Homosexuals are not trying to change the world; its gays that no longer want to live a lie. And why should you ever believe homosexual marriage be on equal footing with heterosexual marriage? Everything you've ever been taught, has related that to be a homosexual is the worst thing you can be. Every movie, television show/sitcom, treats the issue like its a big joke at best. At worst, that it is a horrible tragedy. So if a handful of people are trying to suggest the media depict more positive role models is that "trying to change the world?"

I know it might be hard for you to imagine, but imagine if when you went through puberty you realized you were attracted to the same gender, and decided to do whatever you could to conform to what you thought society expected of you. It's not fun.

Quote:
Sure thing, as soon as you & they admit that a gay couple is anything but a normal couple. What you refuse to see & some gay folks refuse to see is that they need to get over it. Since when do the healthy need to get over someone elses disorders? In every other mental or sexual disorder its the aflicted that need to "get over it" or work thru it.
Homosexuality is not a disorder, and you'll have a hard time finding a psychiatrist whom will treat it as such. Again you conform to societies teachings. If homosexuals are treated with respect and dignity and given their equality they deserve, the world for heteros won't be much different at all.
Quote:
In the end its not even worth discussing other than for the entertainment value.
It is, in every sense a rediculous parody of reality, a joke.
From above---Every movie, television show/sitcom, treats the issue like its a big joke. At worst, that it is a horrible tragedy.

So if a handful of people are trying to suggest the media depict a more "realistic" positive role models is that "trying to change the world?" It's sad that there are still people who believe that an enormous amount of discouragement is still required to prevent homosexuality from occuring; it is not a behavior that can be influenced. If a straight guy in jail jumps the fence for a little while, its not going to turn him gay. The human sex drive is not a behavior, it is an instinct, and like many other things in nature, it is not a constant, it can vary.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL I actually find your attempt to "instruct" me on biblical matters pretty funny. Thanks for the laugh.

I know I know - I'm just "one of those people" as you put it. What I can I say. Please be kind, after all, I'm just a fallen human being too. After all, you wouldn't want to do the very thing you are accusing me of would you?
What IS hysterical is that you ignore the fact that we are living in the 21st century and most people don't believe in, or follow your archaic draconian, scripture that you subscribe to so dearly (depending on its convenience of course). Do you also believe the world is flat? You know the pope had Galileo tortured for suggesting that it was round (amazingly Galileo wasn't even exhonerated until the year 1980!) Do you wear blended fabrics? eat shellfish? Are you going to teach your children that masturbation is sin! What about those married people who get divorced? Ex-communicated? What about fornicators? Ever wonder how many people actually save themselves for marriage? Seems theres not gonna be too many people in heaven? --Assuming you really believe in such a thing. And unlike homosexuals who have no choice in who they are, these previous "sins" are deliberate acts.

Well, perhaps you'll overlook some of these things.....after all you want some people left in those pews don't you? After all, at least their not homosexual! God forbid.

What is trully the "laugh," is that you provoke your religious viewpoints on others, admonishing them for not following your ancient, primitive scripture that don't necessarily agree with you, then you turn around and violate your own religious laws by "judging" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut