Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 256,908 times

Advertisements

Hi Lintu,

We are just like you here in Milford and in our late 20's., so many times it has cross my mind that i would move to down south, but i travel alot for my work, and all i can say is everything is relative and i would want to live near where all the action is(NYC). We saved, saved and saved just like you guys and my wife and i bought a house in Milford, and now we have a beautiful baby boy as well...

so good luck and happy to see like minded people!

Regards, CoolStrom

Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,066,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgal View Post
Help, any other midwesterners in CT there? How do you deal with it? Can you live a normal life?
We moved here from Illinois (not Chicago area). The cost of living, particularly housing, is a lot higher here.

We bought a smaller house on a smaller lot with a very long commute for almost twice the price of the newer and nicer house we sold. It was the best we could do.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,971,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
We moved here from Illinois (not Chicago area). The cost of living, particularly housing, is a lot higher here.

We bought a smaller house on a smaller lot with a very long commute for almost twice the price of the newer and nicer house we sold. It was the best we could do.
Headed

most of Illinois is very affordable- except greater Chicago- which is about the same as greater Hartford. What part of CT are you located?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Headed

most of Illinois is very affordable- except greater Chicago- which is about the same as greater Hartford. What part of CT are you located?
I live in Newtown.

It was as close as we could get to my job in Stamford and afford a house.

Afford: meaning the maximum mortgage I was willing to take on. Lenders would have been willing to write a bigger mortgage, but I wouldn't have done it. I have to plan on retirement someday, and even with the conservative mortgage it looks like we cannot afford to remain in CT when that day comes. But we're ready to go, I think. We'll be headed west.

You make a good case for living in eastern Connecticut, but I will not miss Fairfield County and its insane yuppie drivers.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,971,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I live in Newtown.

It was as close as we could get to my job in Stamford and afford a house.

Afford: meaning the maximum mortgage I was willing to take on. Lenders would have been willing to write a bigger mortgage, but I wouldn't have done it. I have to plan on retirement someday, and even with the conservative mortgage it looks like we cannot afford to remain in CT when that day comes. But we're ready to go, I think. We'll be headed west.

You make a good case for living in eastern Connecticut, but I will not miss Fairfield County and its insane yuppie drivers.
Well 'headed west' certainly would not mean the Pacific coast- which is more expensive then where you currently reside.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Well 'headed west' certainly would not mean the Pacific coast- which is more expensive then where you currently reside.
That is correct.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM

879 posts, read 1,650,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Congratulations on the house, and Stratford is nice (according to my dh who had family there, growing up) but I just have to mention that Texas isn't landlocked-there are beaches.
Sorry---where I'm from (Dallas) is landlocked. Houston is just hell I don't even consider that a viable place to live

Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM

879 posts, read 1,650,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStrom View Post
Hi Lintu,

We are just like you here in Milford and in our late 20's., so many times it has cross my mind that i would move to down south, but i travel alot for my work, and all i can say is everything is relative and i would want to live near where all the action is(NYC). We saved, saved and saved just like you guys and my wife and i bought a house in Milford, and now we have a beautiful baby boy as well...

so good luck and happy to see like minded people!

Regards, CoolStrom
Congrats on your little boy! I hope to be in a similar situation in a couple years

Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Sorry---where I'm from (Dallas) is landlocked. Houston is just hell I don't even consider that a viable place to live
Yes, I agree with you-I spent some time there as a child because of my dad's job-it was quite the experience, and not in a good way! We actually spent time in Dallas too (because of the same job), I had forgotten that it is like 8 hours to the beach-like another world-because here in CT, if you drive 8 hours, you go through like 10 states, or to Canada LOL.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,789,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Are you sure you're not just saying that because you're from Dallas? Too many people from there are ignorant about Houston and bash it. Aside from being more humid, there's nothing about it that is far worse than Dallas, and in many ways it's better (all the same big city amenities but with lots more greenery and trees, milder winters, and a nearby beach)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut