U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 16,326 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move from Georgia to NY in April 2009 for work. I have been doing some research but I really need some help in deciding where to relocate to.

My question is where would be the best place in the tri-state area for us to move to if working in NY? I will be working in Manhattan.

My requirements are:
Great non-private schools (I have a baby just over a year old)
Decent commute from NY City (60 mins)
Surburbian feel (I currently live in one of the suburbs in ATL - Alpharetta)
House prices between $350K and $450K (preferably 3 bed 2.5 bath) or a 2 bed condo with parking,
Safe and diverse neighborhood
Low Crime

I'm sure you've heard this question over and over, but I couldn't find a post that had all of my questions in it. I am sorry if this is a re-post.

Thank You very much,
Seyi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,464,760 times
Hi, Seyi,

I lived in Stamford, which is just one town into western CT and a 44 min express train ride into Grand Central Station in Manhattan. The only closer city/town is Greenwich. I am afraid there are no close to Manhattan towns, within 60 minutes commute to the city, that will provide you a 3 br and 2.5 bath home for $450. The average price of a home will be a sticker shock for you. It was for us when we moved here from the South a couple of decades ago. Maybe others know if some 2 bed condos are available for that price. You may want to consider renting in Stamford or Greenwich for a while.

You may want to ask the NY city-data board about Westchester County. They may have some information on that area which is quite beautiful and a great commute to the city. We lived there, too, and may have some more affordable options for housing.

Good luck with your move. We love it here!

A former Southerner

Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
hsw

2,067 posts, read 4,386,273 times
Given that NYC is the epicenter of the financial meltdown (and many layoffs), prob smarter to rent something in Greenwich or Scarsdale....

People in NYC region generally exaggerate how short is their commute....need to consider exact door-to-door commute time, which can wildly vary depending upon time of commute and exactly where in Manhattan, etc....

Know many who live in Greenwich backcountry and drive daily to office in Midtown; they depart from their home's garage and arrive at a garage under/adjacent to their office bldg; arrive in Manhattan by ~6AM and leave Manhattan ~7PM....roughly 40min drive in AM; 70mins in PM...and they are busy on car's Bluetooth on calls w/colleagues in other time zones during entire drive (London in AM; SF in PM), so view it as most civilized, safe, productive commute in NYC region...

Many door-to-door commutes via train from decent suburbs to Midtown are ~90mins (and awfully sweaty/smelly/at-risk of terror events)...

Many intra-Manhattan door-to-door commutes are ~40mins and similarly unpleasant....

NYC region easily has most difficult, costly commutes in US...takes some money to afford to commute in safety, privacy, comfort of own car....and decent Manhattan garages can be costly...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Many door-to-door commutes via train from decent suburbs to Midtown are ~90mins (and awfully sweaty/smelly/at-risk of terror events)...

Many intra-Manhattan door-to-door commutes are ~40mins and similarly unpleasant....

NYC region easily has most difficult, costly commutes in US...takes some money to afford to commute in safety, privacy, comfort of own car....and decent Manhattan garages can be costly...

There are MANY commutes from very nice suburbs that are MUCH less than 90 minutes (Chappaqua, Bedford, Katonah, etc in NY; Edison, Livingston in NJ and many, MANY other areas. The problem for the OP is the projected budget. It won't get you much of anything.

And taking the car is VERY costly because you have to park it in Manhattan...at the rate of at LEAST $25/day.

And one CAN have long intra-Manhattan commutes. But mine takes about 17 minutes. My brother-in-law's takes about 20....It can go either way, depending, obviously, on where you live relative to where you work.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:30 AM

3 posts, read 16,326 times
Thank you all so much for your replies.

I will do some research on the areas mentioned. This is definitely going to be much harder than I thought trying to pin an area down

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut