U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 100,341 times

Advertisements

What are the best school districts in Hartford area? Which schools are known as the high test scores, far from the rifraf e.t.c. I've been reading and I have some clue, but need better info. specifically on schools!

Avon?
W.Hartford? (I've hear Hall High side)
Glaston bury?
S. Windsor
Farmington?

What are some of the newer developed areas? And best accessablity?
In a perfect world I would be close to library,postoffice,mall,resturants,grocery store,TARGET!!! Money is not huge issue, husband makes 200+
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:43 PM

181 posts, read 33,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2dallas View Post
What are the best school districts in Hartford area? Which schools are known as the high test scores, far from the rifraf e.t.c. I've been reading and I have some clue, but need better info. specifically on schools!

Avon?
W.Hartford? (I've hear Hall High side)
Glaston bury?
S. Windsor
Farmington?

What are some of the newer developed areas? And best accessablity?
In a perfect world I would be close to library,postoffice,mall,resturants,grocery store,TARGET!!! Money is not huge issue, husband makes 200+
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!
Yes those all seem right on (south windsor would be the lowest out of the ones you named and its still pretty good). Conard in west hartford is not so great but hall is known to do very well. dont forget about simsbury, hartford high (just kidding), suffield is pretty good. Your kids might grow up to be a bit stuck up in those schools with the types of people they would be around, but they do offer a lot educationally. Almost every person I know who came from those schools but were unique (different from the rest) have pretty big social anxiety issues that were brought upon by the strenuous and continuous need to fit in and be up to par to everyone elses standards...basically like every high school but multiplied by 10..I'm proud of where I come from and that I made it through a high school that "isnt good" b/c its made me a stronger person IMO. Sorry to go off on a tangent haha..as I said you were on with those schools and I added a few more..where will your wealthy husband be working?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM

downtown Hartford I believe and I thanks to bush politics and taxes... I do not consider us wealthy!!!! Thanks for the info. I've been looking at houses online in Avon and it looks really nice there....how long is the commute into Hartfor from there?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
downtown Hartford I believe and I thanks to bush politics and taxes... I do not consider us wealthy!!!! Thanks for the info. I've been looking at houses online in Avon and it looks really nice there....how long is the commute into Hartfor from there?
If you like avon then you would like farmington which is slightly closer to hartford..the next town closer to hartford and you can actually get right on the highway easier too..avon you would have to go through farmington first I believe. Either way its not a horrible commute. I would say if there was no traffic it would take about 15-25 minutes depending on how deep into the towns you were. What price range on houses are you looking for? If I made 200 grand I would feel like richy rich. I grossed 32 grand last year and live just fine (granted not in avon or farmington) but I get by. Go to google and click on maps and you can click driving directions and put main street, hartford, ct as your destination and then your start point as one of the houses you find it will tell you distance, show you the route on the map and also approximate a time (with light to moderate traffic I believe..not rush hour)

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM

I just thought that it wasn't a lot of money for the area???? So I looked at Glaston bury and the houses in the 300-600 range did not look as nice for the $$$$. Are the schools better there or what why is it more money??? I'll look into Farmington. I guess the target house payment is 3-4k. I want a newer(less than 10 yr) house atleast 2000 sq ft 4 bdrm and a bonus would be wood floors, granite counter tops, stuff like that. 34k for a single person is great! I'm fine with a commute of anything less than 30 min.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I just thought that it wasn't a lot of money for the area???? So I looked at Glaston bury and the houses in the 300-600 range did not look as nice for the $$$$. Are the schools better there or what why is it more money??? I'll look into Farmington. I guess the target house payment is 3-4k. I want a newer(less than 10 yr) house atleast 2000 sq ft 4 bdrm and a bonus would be wood floors, granite counter tops, stuff like that. 34k for a single person is great! I'm fine with a commute of anything less than 30 min.
Ya I didnt mean to imply that you would be rich but you will be above average in those towns. I mean average household salaries in the richest towns in CT is about 160 which would be a few select fairfield county towns, but averages in gbury, avon, and farmington should be a little above 100k. I am not sure why the houses you found in gbury are more $$ than the other 2 towns. I would definitely consider the towns comparable. It might have something to do with the location. Gbury is south of hartford, while avon and farmington are west of hartford. All beautiful towns and you can find some really beautiful houses. I would use move.com to search for houses..it tends to give some good details, at least when I was looking at charlotte homes

Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM

I keep hearing about Fairfeild county, but I never hear any names of the cities inside this area, so I don't know where to look...why is fairfiied "better"? Is there any reason why it is more money(schools, parks,malls,newer?)How far would the commute into Hartford be fore "Fairfiled County"? I am a really conservative "nice" person that may not want to be around too much snubbing, but if the schools were better, for my 2 young boys sake I would like to look into the area

Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 PM

built in 1997

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Home...3&lnksrc=00001

Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I keep hearing about Fairfeild county, but I never hear any names of the cities inside this area, so I don't know where to look...why is fairfiied "better"? Is there any reason why it is more money(schools, parks,malls,newer?)How far would the commute into Hartford be fore "Fairfiled County"? I am a really conservative "nice" person that may not want to be around too much snubbing, but if the schools were better, for my 2 young boys sake I would like to look into the area
you dont want your children going to school in fairfield county..its all of the +'s of avon/farmington/glastonbury with even more snootiness and "my dad makes more money than your dad" type stuff. Fairfield county is so much more partially b/c of its proximity to NYC. Many people take the train into the city to work and the average salaries are into the 150s and 160s with some people making into the millions and millions of dollars. Alot of famous people have bought houses there and theres tons of houses for 4.5 milliion and up. Towns are stamford, new canaan, westport, darien, norwalk, greenwich, weston, trumbull, southport, wilton, etc. They are very expensive and not worth the money. The commute to hartford in rush hour would take you 2 hours + It is like its own section of connecticut that I didnt know existed until I was about 16 b/c its that far from the bulk of connecticut. You will be very happy with gbury, avon, or farmington without a doubt from what you are looking for.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM

41 posts, read 159,382 times
Fairfield County isn't necessarily better... just more expensive has a lot to do with proximity to New York city.. much of it is commutable distance to NYC. Schools are generally pretty good. I am in northern Fairfield COunty (Ridgefield), I am about an hour from Hartford. The commute would be horrible. If you can make good money and not have to live in Fairfield Cty, then all the better, IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut