Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 AM

154 posts, read 688,408 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any general thoughts or opinions on living in Manchester? We are a family who would like to relocate to CT but are finding some places (Litchfield and Tolland County) a little out of our starter home price range. So we're looking for an inexpensive but safe place in the meantime. Manchester fits the financial bill but we can't quite get a feel for the city. Any info would be welcome.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Manchester is a good town- its become more diverse- but has many good neighborhoods, with very affordable housing- and incredible shopping, history, a great Community College, and a very pleasant and walkable classic New England downtown. Schools are better then average.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelise View Post
Does anyone have any general thoughts or opinions on living in Manchester? We are a family who would like to relocate to CT but are finding some places (Litchfield and Tolland County) a little out of our starter home price range. So we're looking for an inexpensive but safe place in the meantime. Manchester fits the financial bill but we can't quite get a feel for the city. Any info would be welcome.

Thank you.
Manchester is probably the last, working small city in CT that still has a majority of nice neighborhoods and a living downtown.

I'm on a remote location right now so I can't post in detail but I did a very large write up on Manchester.

Here are a few links to them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...terbury-2.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-advice-2.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...orrington.html

Just look through the threads for my posts, they are in several postings.

SkyTrekker also has a lot of good input on the area.

I love it in Manchester personally. It has everything you could possibly want or need in a municipality.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

179 posts, read 293,891 times
what places in tolland and litchfield counties were you looking? These are 2 of the more affordable counties to live in, so just to get an idea what is your price range?

I grew up in rockville from age 7 till present (the town over from manchester) and have spent much time in manchester over the last 17 years. Manchester is one of the reasons I am sad about leaving for North Carolina b/c I love it so much. There is only one section that is not so great but its also not horrible either. There is always something to do whether it be movies, dining, mall, bowling, etc and you are minutes from 3 different highways 84, 291, 384 (some people dont think thats a good thing..I love being able to get on a highway at any point in town so I can travel and commute to different towns fast and easily). The nicer residential sections of Manchester are on the Glastonbury border, and if you're on a tight budget they may also be out of your range, but since you havent specified we cannot be sure. With normal traffic you are only 10 minutes from hartford, and rush hour traffic into hartford would be the best of the 4 incoming directions from manchester. Coming from the south, north, and west would be a little busier, while coming from manchester lightens the congestion (not by too much but its a slightly noticable difference). Manchesters school systems are diverse and IMO help raise well rounded children with a balance of street smarts and book smarts. You have the option of Manchester High School, Cheney Technical School, and East Catholic High School. Manchester Community College is ranked one of the better Community Colleges in the state and country. I know you are looking to buy, but are you opposed to renting for a short period of time to get to know the area? I do know a few nice apartments in the area that offer 3 bedrooms and a nice apartment community.

oh forgot to add..as I've said before Manchester which was once a small quaint shop filled historical neighborhood, has been said to be on its way to becoming more like a city than a town. They are supposed to be building more homes as well as more businesses to industrial, office, retail, etc jobs. When most people think of Manchester they dont think quiet town, but then again they dont usually visit the quiet nice residential neighborhoods either and are only familiar with the mall area.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:48 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Just a note, Manchester has an incredibly good town owned golf course, Manchester Country Club. A great layout and a great greenskeeper. May be a little short but still a lot of fun. An excellent little restaurant/bar downstairs too.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:03 PM

182 posts, read 810,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post

I know you are looking to buy, but are you opposed to renting for a short period of time to get to know the area? I do know a few nice apartments in the area that offer 3 bedrooms and a nice apartment community.

I am interested in the Manchester area, kd83. What apartment communities would you recommend?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Default re

There are a bunch of newer apartment complexes around Buckland. Also the one across the street from Buckland mall is nice, sorry don't know the names.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM

179 posts, read 293,891 times
waterford commons and aspen woods are both very nice by buckland hills a 3 bedroom is around 1200-1400 but very nice n well kept

Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 AM

182 posts, read 810,790 times
Thanks kd83. I had noted both of those complexes on rent.com. Nice to know they are as good as they look online!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Thanks kd83. I had noted both of those complexes on rent.com. Nice to know they are as good as they look online!

Yes they are...they are in the heart of the "retail" district as well and only a mile or two to downtown.

In my travels today, I'll make a note of some of the other complexes here.

There are also some older townhouse type apartments that are nice...the brick front type. You have to be selective about the older units - just like a home, as everyone ages differently.

Another thing you see up here a lot more than I've seen in FL is rental condo's. A lot of people buy a condo, and instead of selling when they move into a house, they will rent privately. You can get a lot for your money that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut