Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times

Advertisements

"Other Peoples Money" was filmed in this area (Ansonia-Derby). Very gritty old blue-collar corridor between Bridgeport and Waterbury. Certainly more attractive as a lower cost alternative to lower Fairfield County. If you are looking for culture...probably better off looking towards the New Haven area. Ansonia and Derby are stuck in the old parochial mindsets...run by people that probably have close friends and "connections" in Waterbury. These areas may be on the rebound....but they still look pretty run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"Other Peoples Money" was filmed in this area (Ansonia-Derby). Very gritty old blue-collar corridor between Bridgeport and Waterbury. Certainly more attractive as a lower cost alternative to lower Fairfield County. If you are looking for culture...probably better off looking towards the New Haven area. Ansonia and Derby are stuck in the old parochial mindsets...run by people that probably have close friends and "connections" in Waterbury. These areas may be on the rebound....but they still look pretty run down.
I disagree with this statement. I live in Westport but have many ties to Ansona (friends, coworkers, etc). The city actually is on the rebound, and it shows. Downtown Derby is being completely torn down and rebuilt. Plans include many shops, restaurants & cafes and nice apartments/townhouses along the river. The new Main Street (Route 34) will be beautiful.

What is your definition of culture, JiminCT? Ansonia has an amazing mix of many nationalities (huge Polish, Italian and Irish populations). These are people who moved their families here in the 50's right from their home country. They are hardworking people proud of what they've accomplished. They are middle class. Hardly lower class, as the average incomes there prove it. With Ansonia ridding itself of the apartments on Olson Drive, the city is sure to get even better. If wealthy Yale students mixed with poor minorities is culture to you, then sure, New Haven is perfect. And ties with Waterbury? Ansonia is about a 25 minute drive south from Waterbury and you can't even begin to compare the two. The city has stronger ties to (and is closer to) New Haven.

The poster who was offended by the comments about Olson Drive, you can't blame the mayor for crime in the city. The mayor and the police department can only do so much. People do have rights, you know, and unfortunately it takes one to commit a crime for someone to do something about it. But guess what? They are doing something about it. They're getting rid of the apartments. What more would you like them to do?

I agree with Westguy. Ansonia is a nice city and I too would suggest the area around Pulaski Hwy. A friend of mine lives up there past Warsaw park and let me tell you, people in his neighborhood are the friendliest people I've come across anywhere. They had a block party today.

There's a reason the city won the All American City award in 2000.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM

Yale and New Haven (even the ghettos) ofter a lot more culturally than Ansonia and Derby. Unless you like dingy bars and pizza....

Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Actually I believe only one scene of Other Peoples Money was filmed in CT and that was the shot of the old factory that Danny Devito was trying to take over. The factory was the old Seymour Wire factory in Seymour which has since been torn down.

As for "culture", well that is subjective. Not everyone needs to live near museums, art galleries, live theaters, fancy restaurants, etc. Most people just need the basics (stores, basic restaurants, maybe a movie theater) at a reasonable price and Ansonia and Derby would be fine. The OP asked for a comparsion of the two towns, not opinions or alternatives to them. When you resources are limited, you live the best place you can afford. JMHO Jay

Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 AM

I think opinion is a natural offshoot of comparing the towns. If you want something surface and sugarcoated...talk to a realtor. No offence...but there are many other commuter towns around there that offer more. Ansonia and Derby are very parochial and quite frankly...depressing.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Ansonia and Derby are very parochial and quite frankly...depressing.
That is your opinion. Some people that live there may not agree. Jay

Old 05-31-2007, 02:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
The hubby (as he looks over my shoulder here) says:
I was born in Griffin hospital, attended both Derby and Ansonia school systems, thinned many a shoe sole walking Division Street and using the Bradley's Path. If they took the Elizabeth Street Park and put it in Ansonia, you'd have an ideal town.

That being said, having discovered life here on the coast of Maine, I would never, ever live in The Valley again.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 106,891 times
What about Woodbridge?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM

97 posts, read 395,871 times
The commute from ansonia/derby area to stamford/norwalk will be a challenge in the morning & night commute. The Merritt Parkway will be bumper to bumper. 95 will be as bad. I lived in Beacon Falls and tried going up past Stamford , did it 3 days and said NO way. Too many people/cars etc. and not enought ROAD! Naugatuck schools are ok, and Beacon Falls has a new high school. But really if you need to work in Stamford, what about the train!!!! My sister-in-law did it from her Derby home and worked in Stamford.Good Luck.....

Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 AM

67 posts, read 227,832 times
Based on all the towns you have been looking at you will pay the least for your home in the Ansonia/Derby/Seymour area. As you have expanded your search to Milford and Shelton I would also look in the town of Stratford. The price per square foot in Stratford is great with homes available in some very quaint areas. It will be more than Ansonia but less than Shelton and probably about the same as Milford. The benifits are that you will be closer to Stamford and have the availability of Rte 15, I-95 and a train should you need it. It also has beaches and the Housatonic which Milford offers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut