U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,814,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Grad View Post
UPDATE... I just found out I will more than likely end up in the office park near the intersection of Route 7 and the Merritt Parkway in Norwalk. What is this section of Norwalk like? Any ideas on where to live that would be close or easily accessible to/from this point?
Also, what's this business about a car tax? Is it expensive/possible to avoid by postponing my car registration from TX to CT until later in the year?
Thanks again for all the helpful info./advice!
This area is known for retail and office parks. As a matter of fact, the local MLS for Western Connecticut is located at Merritt 7 Corporate Park - Bldg 101.

As for delaying registering your vehicle after October 1st or later, you could. However, most every town now prorates the tax by issuing an interim property tax bill. (Some towns offer incentives for locals to "turn in" tax evaders.)

In case you're confused by the personal property tax, here's a brief explanation. Each town/city looks at the assets physically located in that town on October 1st. For vehicles, the list is provided by DMV showing all vehicles registered on 10/01/20xx. About 7 or 8 months later, the towns begin to finalize their budgets.

In late June, real and personal property tax bills are mailed out. Taxes for personal property are due in ONE INSTALLMENT on 07/01. Taxes on real property are due in TWO INSTALLMENTS on 07/01 and 01/01.

The bill due on 07/01/2007 is for any vehicles registered in that town on 10/01/2006 (nine months prior). It sometimes gets messy when one moves from one town to another within Connecticut. It also gets messy if one changes the type of vehicle registration. For example, I traded a 2000 Maxima for a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The transaction was on 10/05/2003. On 07/2004, the town of Cheshire charged me for 1 month of tax for the 2000 Maxima and 11 months for the 2004 Dodge Ram. If I had purchased another passenger vehicle (and not one with Combination plates), I wouldn't have been taxed on the new vehicle until 07/2005!

Out of curiosity, what is the year/make/model of your vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 05:56 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,108,921 times
07 Grad
You will find here quite a bit of southwestern Food- and in Fairfield county many very good places that offer Tex Mex, Barbecue and Cajun- all of great quality. Cars are taxed here as 'personal property' and if you move here and do not register the vehicle till after July 1st, you will not be taxed till the following year- if I am wrong about this -somebody correct me.

If you drive an expensive car, truck or SUV- the taxes can be high. For instance a BMW 5 series will cost you about $1000 a year.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,814,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Cars are taxed here as 'personal property' and if you move here and do not register the vehicle till after July 1st, you will not be taxed till the following year- if I am wrong about this -somebody correct me.
The date is October 1st (Grand List day), not July 1st (tax bill due date). Most towns now issue an interim tax bill for registrations that missed the October 1st cut-off date. Some towns go after new-to-state registrations while others go after new-to-state and new-to-town registrations.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 93,517 times
*cough cough, choke choke* What?! are. you. KIDDING ME?! So...In addition to Fed. income tax, state income tax, property tax, and sales tax, you also pay a PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX?! Ummm, wow. Is there a tax for breathing CT's air?? (just kidding, I don't want to give the gov. any ideas...).

All joking aside, what do the citizens of CT get in return for this?! That's not a pejorative statement at all; I understand that you have to pay-to-play and that you get what you pay for, but it seems that unless you have kids attending CT's top-notch public schools and/or you live in an extremely safe part of town, then the state gets the goldmine and you get the shaft, so to speak.

But then again, in states such as TX, we give practically nothing to the gov., and they most definitely return the favor.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 PM

139 posts, read 578,584 times
Not to mention the recent increase of electricity costs?

Electricity rates in Connecticut has risen to a new high in, 2007 to become the highest electricity rates in continental USA.

CL&P customers were hit with an average seven-point-seven percent electricity rate increase in January on top of a 22 percent increase last year.

In 1989, Connecticut was receiving 89 cents worth of federal investments for every dollar Connecticut taxpayers sent to Washington. Today, Connecticut receives a paltry 66 cents for every federal tax dollar.

Welcome to a "Blue State" my friend

Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Grad View Post
*cough cough, choke choke* What?! are. you. KIDDING ME?! So...In addition to Fed. income tax, state income tax, property tax, and sales tax, you also pay a PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX?! Ummm, wow. Is there a tax for breathing CT's air?? (just kidding, I don't want to give the gov. any ideas...).

All joking aside, what do the citizens of CT get in return for this?! That's not a pejorative statement at all; I understand that you have to pay-to-play and that you get what you pay for, but it seems that unless you have kids attending CT's top-notch public schools and/or you live in an extremely safe part of town, then the state gets the goldmine and you get the shaft, so to speak.

But then again, in states such as TX, we give practically nothing to the gov., and they most definitely return the favor.
LOL yes it is a bit tough

I wanted to add a couple of things. I lived in Bridgeport and worked in Norwalk and the commute took about 45 minutes along I-95 (15 miles) and sometimes longer of there was an accident or bad weather. Reverse commuting (living in Stamford or closer to NY) or living in Norwalk would be ideal for you.

Also, to touch on what Kirby said, United Illuminating electric rates will rise I believe 50% this year. UI may not cover that part of the state though, but rates are still up there.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 AM

All those UI folks have to face the music regarding electric rates- those of us already have with CL & P- Anger, frustration and an expletive deleted or two sum up my feelings on the rate hikes- that have state government red faced, and the utility companies managing to ineffectually find solutions. :-(

Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
All those UI folks have to face the music regarding electric rates- those of us already have with CL & P- Anger, frustration and an expletive deleted or two sum up my feelings on the rate hikes- that have state government red faced, and the utility companies managing to ineffectually find solutions. :-(
I didn't realize CL&P also had rate hikes. I thought the utility companies were trying to get other providers to make the rates cheaper? I guess not.

I'm in the middle of moving anyway, so it won't affect me anymore but right before I sold the house here in CT I remember seeing the rate increase notice...sheesh!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 AM

CL & P raised rates by 50% last year- basically my light bill has jumped that much, and more- from $75 a month to now $125.00.

Both CL & P and UI are on the hot seat- however the former Governor and speaker of the house both said deregulation would 'be a good thing'- Nope
these companies have been forced to buy energy on the open Market- and are charging us the much higher rats- not lower as was anticipated.

Now they are in the process of going back to generating their own energy. We hope.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,322 times
Default Where to Live

South Norwalk is lively by Connecticut standards. There are a good number of bars, restaurants, and retail on and near Washington Street, but, if you walk a couple of blocks, it's pretty ghetto (not in a dangerous way, just in a run-down, ugly, ubiquitous aluminum siding kind of way). Although there is some loft living going on in SoNo, and new condo units continue to crop up, the place feels more like a leisure destination than a full-time, 24-hour community. Also: The scene is decidedly heterosexual (though it skews metrosexual).

If your job is within walking distance of a Metro North train station, I'd suggest that you consider living in New York City--either in Murry Hill or Yorkville, both which are reasonably-priced by Manahttan standards and accessible to Grand Central station, or in Harlem, near the 125th Street Metro North station. (Harlem is still rough around the edges and varies a lot block by block, but it has lots of character and is quickly gentrifying). Commuting to Fairfield County by car from NYC is possible but time-consuming, unpredictable in duration, and expensive (NYC car insurance rates are very high, and garaged parking spaces below 110th Street run upwards of $400/month).

You might also consider downtown New Haven, which has Connecticut's largest and liveliest gay scene, good restaurants, and interesting cultural opportunities, all within a relatively compact, walkable center. I personally wouldn't want to commute by car between New Haven and mid-Fairfield county because the traffic on I-95 and the Merritt Parkway is so jam-proned, but commuting by Metro North, if feasible, wouldn't be bad.

Finally, if you think your social life is going to be centered in New York City but you don't want to live there, you could consider living in Westchester County, midway between the city and Fairfield County. White Plains has a big downtown, lots of shopping, and one gay bar, but not much character.

Good luck!

-K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut