U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 93,438 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to CT soon, but my roommates and I are having the hardest time finding a place to live! We've checked out 3 bdrm houses/apts/condos within the Stamford/Norwalk vicinity, all ranging from $2k-$3k/mo. When we finally reach a consensus on a place, we make an inquiry through the realtor to the agent/landlord, and the landlord turns us down because we're too young!!! No references called, no employment verification, nothing! Just one look at our age (we're 20, 21, & 22), and the app. is rejected!
Anyone know of a place near Stamford/Norwalk that might be a little more open to renting to young finance professionals?! I currently live in a college town, so naturally this has never been a problem for me, but we MUST find a place to live in the next week or two! Any ideas?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,877,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Grad View Post
I'm moving to CT soon, but my roommates and I are having the hardest time finding a place to live! We've checked out 3 bdrm houses/apts/condos within the Stamford/Norwalk vicinity, all ranging from $2k-$3k/mo. When we finally reach a consensus on a place, we make an inquiry through the realtor to the agent/landlord, and the landlord turns us down because we're too young!!! No references called, no employment verification, nothing! Just one look at our age (we're 20, 21, & 22), and the app. is rejected!
Anyone know of a place near Stamford/Norwalk that might be a little more open to renting to young finance professionals?! I currently live in a college town, so naturally this has never been a problem for me, but we MUST find a place to live in the next week or two! Any ideas?!
I'm 23 and I've had the same thing happen to me in Danbury. No references, he didn't even meet us, and he called and turned us down. I agree, it's frustrating.

There are many rents in Norwalk so don't stop looking. Have you tried Craigslist.com? If you can't find anything else in Norwalk, maybe try further up the line in Fairfield, Trumbull or even Shelton (but Shelton would be a 30 min commute down the Merritt). If you're in Fairfield, you can take the train to Norwalk then switch to the Danbury line which drops you off right at Merritt 7. I've never done it so I'm not sure if it would be a pain in the a$$.

I do know someone who is actually looking to rent a 3br home in Georgetown...Haven't spoken to her in a week so I'm not sure if she found a tenant, but I will contact her and message you off the boards to let you know.

J

Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM

16 posts, read 93,438 times
Default Any last minute advice?!

Alright guys, I'm only a couple weeks away from making the big move up to CT! I finally found a place in Norwalk, off Main Ave. near the Merritt Pkwy. Anyone familiar w/ this area that might possibly be able to give a heads-up on what this area is like (besides/in addition to the info. that realtors can/can't give)?
Also, thanks so much for all the posters who've provided extremely helpful information over the past few months! All the information provided is truly appreciated!
Can't wait to move up there and become CT's newest resident...keep your ears open for a (hopelessly conspicuous) southern drawl!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Good luck and welcome to the state. I hope it all works out well for you. Jay

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,877,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Grad View Post
Alright guys, I'm only a couple weeks away from making the big move up to CT! I finally found a place in Norwalk, off Main Ave. near the Merritt Pkwy. Anyone familiar w/ this area that might possibly be able to give a heads-up on what this area is like (besides/in addition to the info. that realtors can/can't give)?
Also, thanks so much for all the posters who've provided extremely helpful information over the past few months! All the information provided is truly appreciated!
Can't wait to move up there and become CT's newest resident...keep your ears open for a (hopelessly conspicuous) southern drawl!
That's a very convenient area to live. You're right near the office parks and there are many good restaurants in the area. My two favorites are both in the same plaza, Sushi Land and the small deli/sandwich shop next door both right on Main Ave near Carvel. They are packed during the lunch hour, but dead in the evenings. You have Outback Steakhouse and Walmart up the road.

Malls closest to Norwalk would be the Stamford Town Center, Trumbull Mall and Danbury Fair Mall.

Don't forget to check out SoNo on the weekends and definitely take advantage of being less than an hour from Manhattan. Taking the train in is your best bet. New Haven also offers a great nightlife, and if you decide to go up there, check out Pepe's Pizza. Excellent.

Oh yeah and Norwalk has the annual Oyster Festival in Veteran's Park each year in early September. Great food and lots to do.

Good luck with your move

Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,319 times
Default ct nightlife orientation

good luck w/ your move :-)

as you settle in, you might be interested in checking out my latest community service project: a website containing a (hopefully) current and comprehensive listing of connecticut gay nightlife venues. all of the online listings i found were incomplete, outdated, and/or inaccurate, so i decided to put one together myself.

Connecticut Gay Bars (broken link)

~k

Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychristopher View Post
good luck w/ your move :-)

as you settle in, you might be interested in checking out my latest community service project: a website containing a (hopefully) current and comprehensive listing of connecticut gay nightlife venues. all of the online listings i found were incomplete, outdated, and/or inaccurate, so i decided to put one together myself.

Connecticut Gay Bars

~k
Kelly - Nice website. I am of the generation that use to go to Gay Bars even though we were straight because they were fun . The bar you list in Westport (Cedarbrook) has been there for many years. We use to pass it on the Post Road as kids and whisper about it. That was probably 40 years ago. When I got older, my friends and I would drop in when we went bar hopping in Westport. Not sure that the name is the same, was it just called The Brook before? That was a long time ago so my memory isn't the greatest. Thanks for the information. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut