Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 AM

652 posts, read 1,275,616 times

Advertisements

We moved from PA to FL 8 month ago and we are ready to move back north! We are planning to move to CT but the job search is delaying us. I see a lot of people in here who are moving from other places to CT and have jobs already. Can anybody tell their experiences, like how long it took to get a job, do they pay for relocation (even though relocation package doesn't matter to me). My field: International Transportation/Customer Service Management/Logistics. BA/Pennstate. experience 13 years. Female and bilingual in english/spanish. Would consider to work 20 miles within Stamford or 20 miles within New Haven. I appreciate your input.

Last edited by katalin; 02-20-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 28,760 times
why in the world would you want to move back up north ?? Miss the awful weather and high taxes ?? Have you looked into North Georgia where there are TONS of jobs and a great cost of living along with great pay

Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Those in Florida have had their home owners insurance go through the roof- even a modest home now costs thousands to insure- car insurance is very high- Florida has one of the highest rates of crime and auto theft in the nation.

Sea rise and increasing hurricanes due to global warming- another huge negative. And I do not consider hot and humid weather 9 months of the year to be personally desirable.

Atlanta has some of the worse urban sprawl, highest crime rates, worse traffic, increasingly hotter summers (if thats possible) -due to climate change, low quality schools, plus LOWER pay, poor local services, and a rather regressive social environment.

The economy in these areas is predicated on lower costs- but with all these newcomers coming in from the north (for perceived lower costs) the local infrastructure will have to be improved- be that schooling, local services,road improvement etc. Where is this money coming from? Robert E. Lee's trust fund? Nope- higher taxes folks.

That is happening now in Florida.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-22-2007 at 04:53 AM..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDoctor View Post
why in the world would you want to move back up north ?? Miss the awful weather and high taxes ?? Have you looked into North Georgia where there are TONS of jobs and a great cost of living along with great pay
Why on God's earth would anyone want to live in a suburban sprawl, big box, cultureless hell hole such as North Georgia is beyond me.

I like 4 balanced seasons, tons of history, the plethora of arts here...being 30 minutes to the ocean and mountains isn't so bad either.

I think a lot of people are discovering that FL, NC and places like Atlanta are not the "paradise" they once thought.

I see you have most of your posts in the CT forum and not the Georgia forum...homesick?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM

652 posts, read 1,275,616 times
Default re

I agree with Jviello and Skytrekker. I thought I would like FL just like anybody else. I used to come here for vacations and I really liked the place but I should have listened to my friends when they said it is not the same when you live there. I like 4 seasons and the changing of colors of the trees, history and beleive it or not I miss the snow and I miss the cozy nights in the winter time! Also it is ridicoulous to pay high prices on auto insurance just because your group didn't do well, I don't like to be punished for other people here in FL can't drive.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I agree with Jviello and Skytrekker. I thought I would like FL just like anybody else. I used to come here for vacations and I really liked the place but I should have listened to my friends when they said it is not the same when you live there. I like 4 seasons and the changing of colors of the trees, history and beleive it or not I miss the snow and I miss the cozy nights in the winter time! Also it is ridicoulous to pay high prices on auto insurance just because your group didn't do well, I don't like to be punished for other people here in FL can't drive.
I spent 5 years in Orlando. Same deal. NOT like being on vacation - excuse me, let me clarify NOTHING REMOTELY like you experience just visiting vs living there.

I used to pine for rainy days vs 30 minute mega dumps - sounds crazy but a grey rainy day curled up on the sofa with hot cup of soup and a warm fire is actually pleasing at times.

And you really just exchange cold Winter for unbearable Summers. I'd rather toss on a wool sweater and head out hiking vs trying to mow my yard in 100* heat barely able to breath.

Having the sun at a certain angle at certain times of the year messes with your "inner clock" too. Having a September sun in January was just weird as was thanksgiving dinner on a picnic table...But I digress.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why on God's earth would anyone want to live in a suburban sprawl, big box, cultureless hell hole such as North Georgia is beyond me.

I like 4 balanced seasons, tons of history, the plethora of arts here...being 30 minutes to the ocean and mountains isn't so bad either.

I think a lot of people are discovering that FL, NC and places like Atlanta are not the "paradise" they once thought.

I see you have most of your posts in the CT forum and not the Georgia forum...homesick?
Ha...funny, but looking back, I was getting married in 3.5 months, had no kids, a lot of money in the bank, a nice custom bike in the garage, sports car and hot rod truck in the drive and not much to worry about.

Now, 4 years later...I'm married with 2 kids, broke beyond broke, owe taxes and paid taxes that are obscene, all the toys are gone and a $30 mexican dinner is a treat. I'm understanding why many people relocate from here.

How time changes things. Indeed.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
JViello that is funny the difference in your posts in 4 years. Heck my thoughts change to that extreme on a daily basis.
My husband and I love it here, but in the two years we've been here, our housing budget has gotten smaller and smaller. I'm realizing just how much money needs to be held aside for taxes. Property, state, personal, federal. And yeah, you start to get resentful.
It's one thing if a person hates a state and wants to leave. It's downright sad when a person loves a state but does not know if they will be able to carve out a living here.
I guess we'll eventually buy a house. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet. But I really doubt we'll ever be able to retire here. I just don't see that happening.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
JViello that is funny the difference in your posts in 4 years. Heck my thoughts change to that extreme on a daily basis.
My husband and I love it here, but in the two years we've been here, our housing budget has gotten smaller and smaller. I'm realizing just how much money needs to be held aside for taxes. Property, state, personal, federal. And yeah, you start to get resentful.
It's one thing if a person hates a state and wants to leave. It's downright sad when a person loves a state but does not know if they will be able to carve out a living here.
I guess we'll eventually buy a house. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet. But I really doubt we'll ever be able to retire here. I just don't see that happening.
Exactly. Well said. It's been about a year since we went to FL and then cut short and went to NC to look around. I never posted a "why" we are still here because several factors came into play (Deal for my business fell through, our entire house was flooded, gutted and remodeled) that made it not feasable at the time. However, nothings changed. If anything, we've gone a little further backwards.

I don't hate the state, but it takes money - a lot of money to have a good quality of life here. And by that, I'm talking things as simple as owning a modern home in a nice town with a two car garage so you are not out in the elements clearing cars at 6am everytime there is a storm.

Taxes, taxes taxes. I was talking to FBAM last night, and literally just on property taxes and income we would save $600.00 a month moving to a state like FL. That's just personal property tax and income tax! $600.00 a month is a lot of money. Maybe not for someone who owns a $600K house, two $50K cars etc and has financial reserves out the wazoo. But for an average family, that's a lot.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
JViello is talking like me,I said this a long time ago,same type statement.We have house in Vernon,paid for.I capped oil in July,glad I did.We would not consider renting because renters can and do cause problems.
We had move set up for 10/01/10 and after much thought could not come to grips with the thought of wasting $6000 per year plus for what?We were in CT from Sept thru Dec and and enjoyed our time with our families.
As for Florida we live in North FL been here 20 years,southern FL expensive.All expenses very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut