Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,274,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkkr View Post
I'm just not cut out to live down there, but a vacation there is great.

I feel the same way. Since 1997, for pratical reasons, I tried so hard to fall in love with NC and just couldn't. No knock against NC (we discovered a great aquarium at Fort Fisher this summer).

Despite February's miseries, I love New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM

154 posts, read 799,032 times
To me ideally, and this is my eventual plan, is to have two homes so I can stay in CT during the months I like (April - October) and then leave to a second home (condo) from November - March. That way I have something to look forward to all year round, never get sick of a single location, and my condo can be rented out during the summer or used by family.

Connecticut is a nice place for a good portion of the year and my family and friends all live in CT so it would be hard to leave all that I have, but when November and December roll around to me it is depressing. Then when April rolls around I forget about it all until the next year and the cycle begins again. I just need to get away from here for a few months each year. I could even settle for leaving just from December - Feb.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
To me ideally, and this is my eventual plan, is to have two homes so I can stay in CT during the months I like (April - October) and then leave to a second home (condo) from November - March.
Where? Would you go all the way south or something midway?

I'm good April-December, I'd miss the potential of a white Christmas. About the 2nd week into January, though, I'd be good to go. And Feb I'm just gritting my teeth.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

I'm good April-December, I'd miss the potential of a white Christmas. About the 2nd week into January, though, I'd be good to go. And Feb I'm just gritting my teeth.
I think ideal for that situation would be a consistent rental for Jan and Feb (March for some). No sense in owning a property for 2-3 months of the year...BUT if all we are bitching about is a couple months a year with otherwise nice weather, it could be worse.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
it could be worse.
Absolutely! My sister lives in St. Cloud, Mn. Record lows in Jan and Feb -43 and -40.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM

154 posts, read 799,032 times
Quote:

I think I would go further south than North Carolina because North Carolina does get cold winters and ice at times. I'd want something that would be the opposite of Connecticut weather and that would be perhaps Florida. I like Charleston, SC but that might be a bit too North in the winter for me. I lived in Savannah for 3 years and it wasn't exactly warm in the winter months.

As another option there are other countries such as Costa Rica and others which might be appealing as a vacation home, however I would have to do business at the residence in the winter months while away so it would make more sense in my situation to be in the US. I am looking at it as more of a second residence/investment as opposed to a pure vacation home since my "vacation" there would be working still. I've also always wanted to help my parents out. They would love somewhere to just get away yet they will NEVER do it themselves. This would be a perfect opportunity to pay them back a little.

I wouldn't mind being around for Christmas, that is one of those days where you just don't care if there is snow outside or not as that is part of the Christmas folklore. Next year I am celebrating Christmas in Puerto Rico for the first time so that should be interesting.

Right now the winter is just killing me. We went to a club Friday and a museum Saturday and it was just a bear even walking down the streets it was so cold, it makes me just want to stay inside. The newly renovated American Art museum in New Britain is very nice and free before noon.I can't wait for spring and the mountain hikes, trips to wineries, and just being outside.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
Absolutely! My sister lives in St. Cloud, Mn. Record lows in Jan and Feb -43 and -40.
Hey like they say, MN has Winter and July! LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,635,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myito View Post
Dand,

Just wanted to chime in and share that my experiences with neighbors in CT mirrors yours. I lived on my block for almost 5 years and I really only spoke to 4 of our neighbors (live on a cul de sac in Glastonbury with 14 homes). The other neighbors only spoke when they wanted information. The only family we really will think about keeping in touch with is an older couple who have gone out of their way to be nice in the time we've been here. Other neighbors are worried about their Glastonbury lineage (of which we have none) and despite the fact that we are likely more educated and more financially sound -- we don't flaunt it and no one knows it thus we are "less than." It's amazing to me.
Do you mind if I ask where you lived in Glastonbury? I lived off a New London Turnpike and also in the College Town areas and the people were wonderful in both places. Very friendly. The College Town folks sponsored a golf tournament every year and tried to get people together in the neighborhood. We did have a problem with one family in the area and their pit bull but other than that, all of my neighbors were great people.

Glastonbury is such a great town with so much to do and so many amenities.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM

328 posts, read 1,031,396 times
Default Oppressive Connecticut

Gee, why are so many people leaving Connecticut ? Let's begin with the oppressive taxes imposed on the residents of the "Constitution State. " A healthy chunk goes to funding " Education" which is now defined as not learning but learning to take tests !!! All this money and still our schools are less stellar than many other "Test Taking Systems" across the country. While there are some schools ( this should silence the detractors) that perform well they are the exception rather than the rule. Just goes to show you that throwing money at "Education " is not the solution. Our schools are by and large not gettin' it done and it's not for lack of money......Let's move to another hot topic:Property Taxes.... Equally as opressive...People screaming for reform. The response ? ZIP! ZILCH! ZERO !!! Utilities? Another laugher...Or were it not so sad it would be funny.
Stir in a cup of the worst traffic and roads on the planet, the influx of New Yorkers invading the ripe real estate ( Compared to NYC and Westchester) and you have a sample of why many are heading out. People say, but the quality of life is superior here. I say BS to that. If Connecticut epitomizes quality then get my pipe and fiddle Ma,I'm headin' for the hills.....And that's just what I'm gonna do !!!!!! It's just not worth the aggravation.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,961,222 times
Good luck spirit

you may find in the end that the grass is NOT greener............
traffic bad? go to L.A San Fran Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh/ Durham Washington DC, Seattle
Complain- sure but for most of the state- it relatively benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut