Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,855 times

Advertisements

not greener less oppressive !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Connecticut is a great place to live- and not because of 'conservative' values- and gee the stock market is down again today-

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-02-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
oppressive as opposed to what? Do you truly think that Bill O'Reilly is going to 'release' you? Hardly- the far right has what has gotten into this mess- not the horrible 'liberals' c'mon that story is 3 decades old- the new reality is change and being progressive.
With all due respect, the right wing bashing is getting old.

Both the progressives and the right wing zealots are both loons IMO.

Most of the mess regarding taxation in this state is from the "spend it" party, that can't be denied as it's a matter of public record.

And for the record, Bill O'Reilly is a middle of the road libertarian and not given to any political bent and has demonstrated this on many occasions. He's not perfect, and no one is but he's not right wing or left wing.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM

328 posts, read 1,033,855 times
Sounds like Hilary won't let you out from under her skirt. Tax and spend ...It's worked so well all these years....So interesting your "New/Progressive thinking." See you across the barricades !!!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Most of the mess regarding taxation in this state is from the "spend it" party, that can't be denied as it's a matter of public record.
In light of the past 6 years, at least at the Federal level, both parties have shown that they can "spend it" and spend it well...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM

93 posts, read 394,247 times
Quote:
Good luck spirit

you may find in the end that the grass is NOT greener............
traffic bad? go to L.A San Fran Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh/ Durham Washington DC, Seattle
Complain- sure but for most of the state- it relatively benign.
I'd have to disagree with saying traffic in most of the state is relatively "benign." I-95 between Greenwich and New Haven is among the congested highways in the nation. Past New Haven into Branford, Guilford and Madison is no prize either. I-84 from Danbury to Southbury is ridiculous during the 5 o'clock rush hour and it isn't much better during the day, hence their reasoning for adding an extra lane in the coming years. 84 and 91 in the Hartford area is a mess during rush hour, as is 91 down toward New Haven. The Merritt Parkway up through the Wilbur Cross is always heavy, and traffic there often comes to a complete stop. So, again, the state of CT is no exception when it comes to traffic, contrary to what some would like others to believe. Maybe up by Manchester and Vernon through the 'quiet corner', traffic is non-existent. But, hey, that's why they call it the 'quiet corner.'

Now for Spirit-

Your rant is ridiculous. You claim that schools in CT are second to many schools in the US. That couldn't be more false. We have excellent schools here, yes, even in Waterbury, Hartford and Bridgeport. Much of our tax dollars goes to "test taking" as you call it, but it's working, isn't it? We have among the highest rate of students that go off to college, among the highest average IQ in the US and a highly skilled labor force. There's a reason that people who want to become certified to teach in CT are subject to a more rigorous program than nearly all other states. You can knock CT for many things but one thing you can't knock is education here.

I agree, sky, CT is a great place to live.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM

West

I agree from New Haven west the traffic is BAD- but for the other 70% of the state- as compared to the metro areas I mentioned it is 'paradise'.

Yep up here in Vernon Traffic is nothing- that is why the so called 'quiet corner' is so sought after- lets keep it a secret ok? Seeing too many NY, NJ, VA, MD, FL and CA plates these days.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-02-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 02:37 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
West

I agree from New Haven west the traffic is BAD - but for the other 70% of the state - as compared to the metro areas I mentioned, it is 'paradise.'

Yep up here in Vernon Traffic is nothing - that is why the so called 'quiet corner' is so sought after - let's keep it a secret OK? Seeing too many NY, NJ, VA, MD, FL and CA plates these days.
Seventy percent in acreage, most likely not in population. In the three counties (Fairfield, New Haven, and Hartford) that comprise 75 percent of the state's population, traffic varies from bad to terrible. There really is no excuse for why I-84 gets backed up between Southbury and Danbury except that two lanes are not enough to cope with the volume.

I wouldn't necessarily say that out-of-state drivers are the problem either. I state two cases: 1) the in-state folks who perceive the interstates as commuter/alternate local routes and won't get out of the left lane even though they're going only 50 mph and 2) the phenomenon of coming into Connecticut from Brewster where traffic goes from 70 - 80 mph to 45 for no apparent reason (primarily Connecticut license plates).

Old 03-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Well Rich

it might be true to say Geographically- that most of the states traffic problems emanate in the states SW corner- Fairfield county along I 95- and into New Haven- and to a lesser degree the Merritt-- and that area on I 84 between Danbury through Waterbury- these areas do constitute 30% of the state at least geographically- and perhaps a wee more population wise-no?

The transportation planners in the state have failed miserably over the years to address these problems in this part of the state-which lead into the great urban megaplex of New York- someone was sleeping at the wheel all these years.

Traffic in the Hartford area is heavy- but after spending time in L.A. Seattle, the DC area and the San Francisco bay area- greater Hartford is easy.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-02-2007 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 PM

154 posts, read 801,895 times
Our problem is we have antiquated highway systems. When I drive along the shore I can hardly believe it each time as I drive on 95 and it's only 2 lanes... Our state tends to do small upgrades which don't last the test of time, might as well over-upgrade somewhat to meet future demands. After all that waiting on 84 with the years of construction the difference I notice is small in the amount of traffic congestion.

The corridor on 95 from New Haven to NYC needs seriously another 3-6 lanes. There should be at least 4 main lanes and a couple commuter lanes and maybe a specialized lane. Luckily the Merrit is close by, the saving grace having no truck traffic.

Then there is the big daddy, the 91/95 interchange in New Haven. 1 lane to merge onto 95??? They actually took two lanes and then at the last second merge them into one right before the off ramp. Amazing. I love the part on 91 where it opens to 4 lanes before New Haven, you can instantly see the traffic flow much faster with just that 1 lane.

Hartford is just a mess so I won't even go into there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut