Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,764,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Monroe is a great place
Education was also our main priority and we actually "interviewed/toured" a lot of the high schools in the towns previously mentioned. We were impressed by the faculty and students at Masuk and I am happy to say, it has been a wonderful choice for my family.
Now i'm really confused usmc. You've done a 360 from 2 weeks ago when you posted this:

Quote:
kdjack,

Not all the school districts in the state offer gifted programs. Make sure you check, I would even call the school and get info about the gifted programs and what they offer. Many programs are being cut, I guess, due to lack of funding. Unfortunately, we just assumed there would be a gifted program and we didn't do our homework. Sadly, now my 6th grader is paying the price. We love the town and moving is not an option. His teachers are very honest about lacking material/time to challenge him. We provide the "extras" and high school will offer him more of what he needs.

Being relatively new myself, I don't know much about other school districts, however, Orange, North Haven, Durham, Madison have excellent reputations and are beautiful towns. Housing is in a slump now so there maybe something in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 PM

756 posts, read 2,212,249 times
Stratford, I don't think so. This is not the topic of the thread. Sorry, but don't waste my time or yours. If you read the post, I did not do my homework on middle schools. However, we love the school and we supplement at home.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Stratford, I don't think so. This is not the topic of the thread. Sorry, but don't waste my time or yours. If you read the post, I did not do my homework on middle schools. However, we love the school and we supplement at home.

The topic of the thread is where should the OP relocate to, where the school system is "excellent". Note that i remained on topic on page 1, with my recommendations of Orange and Woodbridge. You indicated that Monroe had an excellent school system and i questioned that based upon your previous post in which you expressed disappointment with the system. Your response now is that "we love the school". A parent's "love" of a school system doesn't equate to excellence.

To the OP: Sorry for the thread-jack. If you do choose Monroe or Trumbull, they are both considered to be above average systems and your children should do well. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 PM

42 posts, read 116,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Steph - Not to be critical, but on one hand you indicate that Amity students never learn to "relate" to others and then later you advocate private schools or home schooling? Isn't that kind of a contradiction? How does a student learn to relate to others when they are home schooled or when they go to a private school full of students just like themselves?
It could be true depending on which private school and a homeschool kid can have opportunities to meet w/lots of different people. Homeschooling does not mean staying home all the time. Lots of them go to public school to take some classes (like art,music etc..) and have more time getting involved in the community.
Anyway,these are just thoughts for me,back up plans...

As for Amity, I am sure there is more to the school than a bunch of brats. Jay
Just not what I am looking for..everyone needs to make their own research and decision in the end.

Steph

Old 11-26-2008, 06:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,837,735 times
I did find as my older kids went through school in Monroe that the middle schools lacked the gifted programs that the elementary and high schools have. Not that the middle schools are bad, they are very good. But funding for the gifted programs was an issue. There seemed to be more of a demand for programs for special needs students.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I did find as my older kids went through school in Monroe that the middle schools lacked the gifted programs that the elementary and high schools have. Not that the middle schools are bad, they are very good. But funding for the gifted programs was an issue. There seemed to be more of a demand for programs for special needs students.
I'm glad that you understand the point of this forum. The point is to honestly and as accurately as possible, describe the good things and the things that you feel may be lacking somewhat, within our town(s).

I'll throw in my .02 on this by saying that Monroe residents vote on their town budget, and that practice is unusual for this area. It's typically an acrimonious affair requiring at least a few votes before a budget is approved by the residents. I think it's a great thing that they vote on their budget, and i wouldn't mind having this choice in my town.

The per pupil expenditure in the town is amongst the lowest in the state. But, they do a fantastic job with the resources that are allocated to them, and prospective residents shouldn't be concerned about how much $$$ town A spends, compared to towns B,C,D. Each town/city has unique issues that influence the PPE. It's not an accurate barometer for predicting how great the system is.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 83,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly-2000 View Post
How close is Stratford to Milford? Does this violence spill into neighboring towns? Also my sons 10 and 8 play hockey..do you know if there are any towns that offer this sport?

Thank you
Milford has an ice skating rink offering youth hockey as well as an outdoor rink offering street hockey and roller hockey leagues. I have played at both facilities for many years. Shelton also has a beautiful double rink as well. Hockey is big in CT.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 995 times
Default How far for his commute?

You have picked neighborhoods where you will get a decent house for 1/2 a mill. But, try Oxford, CT. It has brand new schools. It is not too far a commute (40 min.) and has wonderful community resources plus a great value for the dollar. At $500k you will get a great house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut