U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,548 times
Default Where to live within commuting distance to NYC

Hello all, and my apologies for the Umpteenth "I'm moving to CT, where should I live?" thread.

My girlfriend and I are seriously considering a move from Princeton, NJ, to Connecticut. She works in NYC, commuting daily, and I'm looking to transfer to either Fairfield county or NYC. We are both in our mid-late 20s, and are looking for a nice area to live with the following requirements:

- Commuting distance of under an hour on the morning express trains to NYC
- Reasonably priced apartment ($1500ish would be tops for a 1 bedroom)
- Walking distance or short car ride to train station
- Safe neighborhood - Remember, we're coming from Princeton - it's def diverse, but also very safe
- Some activity around us - ideally, it would be great to be able to walk to restaurants, bars, town, etc., but it's not a requirement
- We have a little Boston Terrier puppy, so any potential area or rental needs to be pet friendly

I realize that what we are seeking is the best of everything, but we'd like to know our options for when we go visit and look around. We've been to Greenwich and New Caanan before, and they are both wonderful towns, so we have at least a little idea of what the extreme high end is like.

A couple of other questions:

1) South Norwalk was featured in Coastal Living several years ago as an up and coming neighborhood with restaurants, bars, stores, etc. I realize that the town is an old industrial town, and have read old posts commenting on safety issues. Is the town still on the rise, or has it had its day in the sun? Are there really safety issues, especially around the train station? Would anyone recommend living there (again, we are mid-late 20s) or simply visit it when we wish to go out?

2) How is Stamford in terms of living quality? Is it a clean city? Is it walkable? Does it have much in the way of culture (restaurants, bars, shops, museums, etc), or is it mostly business? Any areas of Stamford or any apartment complexes that would garner recommendations? Also, any areas of the city to stay away from?

3) The obligatory "Are there any other towns to check out?" We'd like to do our on-line research so we can make our time visiting as efficient and useful as possible.

4) Are there any good public golf courses in Fairfield county? I used to be in the golf business, so good golf is a must.

5) How over-priced is real estate (condos in particular)? I'm checking out condos in different towns, and listing prices are more than twice that of the appraised value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,796,542 times
Hope you decide to make Fairfield County your home!

In answer to the questions:

*South Norwalk has a lot of gentrication that has occurred over the past decade +. Lately, within the past year, many stores have closed. Mainly I think, due to the economy. Also, it has some notorious crime issues, but is still flooded with some tourists on the weekends, and many young singles and couples that live there. There is a huge "95/7" complex billed as "live/work/play" going in right by I-95, about 1/4 mile from the heart of Sono. They are continuing to clean up the area, and it continues to get better slowly. I think the vacancies are just a minor set back. As for the crime, well, there are some housing projects about a 1/2 mile away or so. Something to think about.
*Stamford is my city--I own a house here. It is wonderfully safe. It has the best of both worlds, in my opinion: it feels small yet it is really big. A lot of bars with 20-somethings, 30-somethings, and couples out and about on weeknights and weekends. It's got a great scene for that! Super close to the city too: the train is 44 minutes. Stamford is only getting better. Trump built his tower downtown, under construction, a luxury "starting @ $1.3 million" building is going up, and the Ritz-Carlton is building 2 towers downtown. Not to mention the whole south-end redevelopment project that will transform the city....it's a hot city and a good place to be now. As for areas to stay away, there are pockets in the west side, and on the south end. Small pockets, but they exist.
*You may want to check out Westport or the Black Rock section of Fairfield--but that might be too far away, add another 15 and 25 mins onto the trip by train, roughly.
*I don't golf, but I know of a couple of public courses in Stamford.
*Prices in Stamford have come way down for condos/houses in the past 6 mos-1 year. It's a good time to buy, so they saying goes...

Let me know if you need any clarification, etc. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 28,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

*You may want to check out Westport or the Black Rock section of Fairfield--
Question - when I first arrived in NYC, I was complaining about not liking it (I still am not crazy about it). Someone told me I would really like a town in CT that is on the sound, because all of these artists and writers live there. I cannot ever remember the name of this town, does this fit any description of a town on the water??

Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,501,964 times
South Norwalk is decent in the immediate downtown, but around the train station gets a little sketchy. You can check out the Merritt River Apartments in Norwalk - they don't get great reviews online but few apartment buildings do. It is a pretty suburban area near the corporate Merritt 7 buildings with some great restaurants nearby. It's also within walking distance to the Merrit 7 station - though it's on the Danbury line and you'd have to switch trains in South Norwalk.

Stamford is a good option. There are some urban walkable neighborhoods downtown and the ride to Grand Central is about 50 minutes. Real estate in Stamford is high, but coming from NJ you shouldn't experience much sticker shock. I think now is a great time to buy too.

You also might be able to find a 1br for 1500 in Westport - you'd just have to look hard.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturely View Post
Question - when I first arrived in NYC, I was complaining about not liking it (I still am not crazy about it). Someone told me I would really like a town in CT that is on the sound, because all of these artists and writers live there. I cannot ever remember the name of this town, does this fit any description of a town on the water??
If the town you're describing is in Fairfield County, then it's probably Westport but it could also be a number of towns on the eastern CT shoreline e.g. Old Saybrook, Guilford, Mystic.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

In answer to the questions:

*South Norwalk has a lot of gentrication that has occurred over the past decade +. Lately, within the past year, many stores have closed. Mainly I think, due to the economy. Also, it has some notorious crime issues, but is still flooded with some tourists on the weekends, and many young singles and couples that live there. There is a huge "95/7" complex billed as "live/work/play" going in right by I-95, about 1/4 mile from the heart of Sono. They are continuing to clean up the area, and it continues to get better slowly. I think the vacancies are just a minor set back. As for the crime, well, there are some housing projects about a 1/2 mile away or so. Something to think about.
*Stamford is my city--I own a house here. It is wonderfully safe. It has the best of both worlds, in my opinion: it feels small yet it is really big. A lot of bars with 20-somethings, 30-somethings, and couples out and about on weeknights and weekends. It's got a great scene for that! Super close to the city too: the train is 44 minutes. Stamford is only getting better. Trump built his tower downtown, under construction, a luxury "starting @ $1.3 million" building is going up, and the Ritz-Carlton is building 2 towers downtown. Not to mention the whole south-end redevelopment project that will transform the city....it's a hot city and a good place to be now. As for areas to stay away, there are pockets in the west side, and on the south end. Small pockets, but they exist.
*You may want to check out Westport or the Black Rock section of Fairfield--but that might be too far away, add another 15 and 25 mins onto the trip by train, roughly.
*I don't golf, but I know of a couple of public courses in Stamford.
*Prices in Stamford have come way down for condos/houses in the past 6 mos-1 year. It's a good time to buy, so they saying goes...

Let me know if you need any clarification, etc. Good luck!
Your recommendations are good but note that it may be difficult to find an apartment in Westport at that price. Also, Black Rock is a part of Bridgeport not Fairfield. They should be able to find an apartment in Fairfield at that price. It is a wonderful safe town and has everything you will need. Great shops and restaurants. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturely View Post
It could be Westport, or it could be the Blackrock section of Bridgeport--near Fairfield. These are both on Long Island Sound. Westport is extremely expensive--Blackrock much less-so, but still pricey, as compared to many other metro areas.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Your recommendations are good but note that it may be difficult to find an apartment in Westport at that price. Also, Black Rock is a part of Bridgeport not Fairfield. They should be able to find an apartment in Fairfield at that price. It is a wonderful safe town and has everything you will need. Great shops and restaurants. Good luck, Jay
Jay, yeah, Westport is extremely pricey. A $1500 budget is next-to-impossible finding a place there. As for Black Rock, yeah, that was a typo. Thanks for noticing!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 PM

49 posts, read 113,628 times
Naturerly- The town you are trying to remember is Rowayton. It's part of South Norwalk. Lots of artists and actors. It's on the sound with a great beach. It's very New England in appearance and liberal. Andy Rooney from 60 minutes lived there for 40 years (moved to NYC a couple of years ago after his wife died)..very diverse. Great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut