Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family of six considering moving to Milford, seeking information about Milford, family activities, elementary schools, friendliness of people, daily living

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 AM

13 posts, read 34,297 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

As you know, I'll move next summer to CT, I'll work in YNHH, married +4 (8,6,3,3 yo). We prefer an suburban place like Milford.

What about Milford?

Who can write about Milford: people. activities, elementary school, is it an interesting place?,

My wife will be for the first 6-7 month, at least, with the kids, she will have what to do every day?

I am trying to find a place with some "urban" characteristics because my concern are my wife and the kids, I'll be busy every day and the place where we will live is not so important for me than for my family.

So, if somebody there can give me an orientation, I'll realyy appreciate it

Izik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
I lived in Milford for 9+ years. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a lot of trouble in the elementary schools, and this wasn't long ago- this was in the late 1990s early 2000s. I was bullied to death, harassed by kids, threatened, etc. and the administration did nothing about it. I hope that it has changed now, but I doubt it. But I guess it depends on where you go. The high schools are much better than the middle/elementary schools but they're recently getting worse due to drug problems and such going on.

The most prevalent interest I can see in Milford is the mall. It definitely brings in a lot of money and a LOT of people. There are loads of stores at the mall... Shopping stores, sport stores, coffee shops, restaurants, you name it. It's there. We also have Downtown Milford which has a lot of antique shops and a few restaurants that are good to go to on Friday nights, like Stonebridge for example.

And crime has gotten a bit worse since I lived here, as would any city. Though nothing has happened to me personally. The people are overall pretty friendly. I haven't had too many encounters with rude people other than people in my own group of "peers".

As for interesting? I don't know. I guess it depends on what you're in to. For me, it's not so interesting since I don't like being at the mall every second and I'm not old enough to go clubbing and all. But that's just my opinion.

This site is good as well: Welcome to Milford CT

I hope I explained this well enough, but I'm sure someone can elaborate better than I could.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
I live and work in Milford, I love it, and I am originally from Texas! If your wife plays tennis, there is a nice indoor tennis club in Milford, right on the Post Road, and plenty of outdoor courts in the summer. There is a skating rink on Bic drive. Boating is an option for an activity. There is a dog park by Eisenhower park. We don't have kids yet, so I dont know much about the schools. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izik View Post
Hello everyone

As you know, I'll move next summer to CT, I'll work in YNHH, married +4 (8,6,3,3 yo). We prefer an suburban place like Milford.

What about Milford?

Who can write about Milford: people. activities, elementary school, is it an interesting place?,

My wife will be for the first 6-7 month, at least, with the kids, she will have what to do every day?

I am trying to find a place with some "urban" characteristics because my concern are my wife and the kids, I'll be busy every day and the place where we will live is not so important for me than for my family.

So, if somebody there can give me an orientation, I'll realyy appreciate it

Izik

Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 34,297 times
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut