U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 40,366 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I've in the Hartford area for a little over a year and just did not like the area (I work near Springfield, MA). I have a job opp that may take me closer to living in Stamford. I found the lack of diversity in the Hartford area concerning (I'm Asian) and I'm hoping there is more of a mix of people in Stamford so I can actually meet people that aren't my co-workers since I'm single

Are there areas in Stamford that you would recommending living in (apartments) if you're single and looking for a mid 20s-mid 30s scene? I'm sure I'll go to NYC during the weekends but even if I want meet people on Thursday or Friday nights, it would be great to have options in the city I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,809,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshb View Post
Hi all,

So I've in the Hartford area for a little over a year and just did not like the area (I work near Springfield, MA). I have a job opp that may take me closer to living in Stamford. I found the lack of diversity in the Hartford area concerning (I'm Asian) and I'm hoping there is more of a mix of people in Stamford so I can actually meet people that aren't my co-workers since I'm single

Are there areas in Stamford that you would recommending living in (apartments) if you're single and looking for a mid 20s-mid 30s scene? I'm sure I'll go to NYC during the weekends but even if I want meet people on Thursday or Friday nights, it would be great to have options in the city I live in.
According to Connecticut Economic Resource Center (CERC) – Economic Research, Marketing Services & Business Development in CT, Stamford has nearly double the Asian population as Hartford (about 6.3 percent to Hartford's 2.9):

http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...s/hartford.pdf

http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...s/stamford.pdf

Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM

3,022 posts, read 8,271,459 times
Stamford was once highly Italian-American. Now though, the Italian population is still here in pockets, but the city is a hugely diverse area today. There are many things to do for singles in Stamford. There are quite a few bars downtown, and mostly single 20 and 30 something professionals frequent them. Stamford is safe and has a ton of corporations. In comparison to Hartford, Stamford is much smaller, but doesn't have the large amount of really bad neighborhoods, as does Hartford. Stamford has an excellent quality of life and should be a great place for a single person. Stamford was listed as one of the best cities in the US for dating a couple years ago...by some magazine.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:59 AM

59 posts, read 109,685 times
I live and work in stamford for many years. Can be somewhat expensive at times but has alot to offer. I went to school in springfield and been in hartford many times and have to say stamford has way more to offer. Everything is pretty convienently located and its a pretty safe town. Lots of industry here, taxes are a little high. Overall I would say its worth trying and better than hartford.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 40,366 times
I am planning on checking it out this weekend including apartments. I am also planning on checking out South Norwalk as my future employer told me that many single people in their 20s-30s live there. Hopefully they would be better to live in and meet people than in Hartford.

Also, since I will travel to NYC occassionally on Saturdays and come back late nights. Would either area be somewhat safe to walk back home from the train station? I plan on living a few blocks at the most from the train station in a safe area. Obviously in NYC I never have problems walking to train stations at 2am or walking around most areas but I don't know how Stamford or S. Norwalk is since I've never experienced nightlife in either city.

I walked back to my car from a Hartford downtown bar at 1am and was always nervous since it was a ghost town.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 PM

29 posts, read 94,371 times
lots of desis around downtown stamford, look in Morgan Manors, Avalon or somewhere close by UBS area in general.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 13,950 times
Hey, I'm here checking out Stamford for business with high probability of moving here. Wanted to check out the nighr life - can you recommend any hot spots? Not too young - just 30's or so? In hotel d/t right now. By Barcelona...

Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 13,950 times
Hey, I'm here checking out Stamford for business with high probability of moving here. Wanted to check out the night life - can you recommend any hot spots? Not too young - just 30's or so, nice approachable chics? In hotel d/t right now. By Barcelona. Saw some remarks about Thirsty Turtle? Or is that more rave-ish?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM

65,021 posts, read 47,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshb View Post
Hi all,

Lots of Asians in the cove section now. I think the East end is your best bet to live. Close to downtown. Close to train to NYC. Close to highway. And close to work. And close to park. Enjoy.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,233,150 times
Stamford's train station is located just south of the center of downtown. If you live right downtown then you will be within walking distance of the train, but there is housing that might interest you just north and east of downtown which puts you a little far from the train. If you live outside of downtown proper then you'll want to catch a cab home from the train. You'll want to look at places downtown, the apartments on Glenbrook Road near East Main Street, or anything north of Downtown on Bedford, Summer, or Strawberry Hill. There are a lot of apartments to choose from so it just depends on your preference. Be warned that housing in Stamford is expensive; it's hard to find a 1 bedroom for less than $1300 and many are upwards of $1800.

Stamford and South Norwalk have very different vibes, so check them both out in person before settling on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or