U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 35,209 times

Advertisements

I've lived in hartford county before, but for the past 10 years i have lived in sunny, warm San Diego, California. I'm thinking about moving back to Connecticut, but can't get over the cold winters and snow. i'm curious to find our if the snowfall varies by town. I imagine that towns along the shore get less snow and a little warmer winters than say West Hartford or in the center of the state. Can you tell me how you get through the winter? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:11 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,754,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindanne73 View Post
I've lived in hartford county before, but for the past 10 years i have lived in sunny, warm San Diego, California. I'm thinking about moving back to Connecticut, but can't get over the cold winters and snow. i'm curious to find our if the snowfall varies by town. I imagine that towns along the shore get less snow and a little warmer winters than say West Hartford or in the center of the state. Can you tell me how you get through the winter? Thanks.
I live in southeast Connecticut…the part of the state that gets the least snow. Most of the Hartford area receives about 40 –inches of snow a winter…while most of southern Connecticut (New Haven, Stamford) receives about 25-inches of snow a winter. NYC averages 22.5 inches of snow a winter. So southern CT gets about half the snow northern CT gets. In most of southern CT, although the period from December through March can be cold (although it was 60 a few days ago), snow is not really a big deal most often.

Of course it’s relative to where you are coming from.

25 –inches of snow a winter in New Haven or Stamford means little if you can’t compare it to something. Snowfall/winters in Connecticut will seem mild if you moving here from places like Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Minneapolis, Boston…etc - which get 50 to 60 inches of snow each winter and in the case of the Midwest – get far colder. At the same time… if you’re moving from a place like Charleston, SC or San Diego, CA even 24 –inches of snow is a lot. If you once lived in Hartford, then you know the deal, at least in northern CT.

Snow on the East Coast south of Massachusetts is not really a big deal most often. Every five or six years… the Tri-State area/East Coast may get a winter with a lot of snow (for us), but it’s the exception not the rule. Also, unlike places up in the Midwest, Great Lakes, or Northern New England, the East Coast is far sunnier…so snow in the Tri-State area never sticks around long.

If you hate snow, my advice is stay south of Massachusetts. If you saw the news in the last few days, areas just to the north of CT had a crippling ice storm…while it just rained here. Right not its cold 30 F, but there is not a cloud in the sky with blazing sunshine.

So far as of today (December 13th) …no snow has fallen yet.

Good Luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 AM

2,606 posts, read 6,098,388 times
Their is less near the shoreline, the most is in northernmost CT near the Mass border and in the NorthWest corner which is hills so it tends to snow their first before anywhere else.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM

thank you wavehunter 007 for the snowfall comparison between hartford and southeast ct. yeah, i saw the pictures on the news from the ice storm...and it made me cringe... but if that's not the norm in southern CT then I'm releived and can still consider moving to southern CT.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Their is less near the shoreline, the most is in northernmost CT near the Mass border and in the NorthWest corner which is hills so it tends to snow their first before anywhere else.
thanks KH02 for the info about the snow and hills... i forgot that parts of CT have a lot of hills and didn't make the connection between snow and hills, but you're right... i don't remember southern ct as being hilly and it doesn't get a lot of snow. So it seems i am ruling out all of CT except southeast CT.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM

63 posts, read 78,792 times
Default getting through the winter

[quote=Can you tell me how you get through the winter? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The best way to get through the winter is to learn to enjoy it - learn to ski, ice skate, snowshoe or just appreciate the beauty of new-fallen snow or a roaring wood fire at home. Otherwise you are missing out on all of the benefits of 1/4 of your year.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Lindanne73:

When you look at the hard numbers…winters are pretty easy in the East Coast states from southern Connecticut southward.

As of today, December 16, there has been no snow so far…and the cold has been limited to a few days that stayed in the lower 30’s. Tonight we may get 1 or 2 inches that will melt when it rains on Wednesday and hits 44 F. When you compare Tri-State winters to places in the West, Midwest, and northern New England……our winters are pretty wimpy.

I saw that a few days ago in North Dakota they had 20-foot snowdrifts and temperatures of 33 below zero…with wind chills to 55 below zero. When we get a cold day around here of 30 F - everyone complains. We on the East Coast are wimps!

Still, a cold overcast day of 44 F in January in New Haven or Hartford…..is not nearly as nice as a sunny 60 F day in San Diego.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM

4,784 posts, read 8,018,685 times
We had a few inches of snow in Monroe last week, but it melted the following afternoon. Monroe is in Fairfield County, which is in the SW corner of the state. Some towns in southern Ct. got even more snow. Snowfall does vary from town to town.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
We had a few inches of snow in Monroe last week, but it melted the following afternoon. Monroe is in Fairfield County, which is in the SW corner of the state. Some towns in southern Ct. got even more snow. Snowfall does vary from town to town.
That's right...I saw that on TV awhile back, I forgot about that. We here in coastal New London County have had just abot nothing so far.

However, year in and year out many folks seem to expect more snow that really falls each season across Ct and the rest of the Tri-State region. The offical NWS site at Stratford for example, only averages about 24 -inches of snow all winter. Cut that into 4 months its like 6 inches per month...not all that much. So far, according to the NWS site at Stratford - 3 inches of snow has fallen (and we still have 14 days left this month). So we really are pretty close to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut