Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You mean Sarah Palin
Actually, Sarah Palin never said that. It was a line in a SNL skit.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM

174 posts, read 639,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Look I dont get peoples problem with some of the things I say. Its all true.

*New Englanders are scum who like the Red Sox and other Boston teams and are ABSOLUTELY obnoxious about it. Remember how they spent the whole two weeks before the Super Bowl saying our beloved Giants had no chance. Well we showed those a-holes! BIG TIME! 18 AND ONE! 18 AND ONE! 18 AND ONE!

*There is a Tri-State part of CT (all of Fairfield County) that commutes to NY and roots for NY teams and a New England part of CT (the rest of the state) that commutes to Boston and roots for the Boston teams like the rest of New England.

Whats wrong/false about that? Tell me.

Generalizations? Blanket statements? Stereotyping? Inability to check facts? Prejudice? Bias? Discrimination?

The list goes on..

Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Communicating using universal qualifiers (all, none) immediately turns off a lot of readers (i.e. all left-handed people write with a reversed slant, all welfare recipients are lazy, etc.).

Some of your thoughts could be conveyed in a more constructive way: I find New York City, having a population of 8.5 million people, more to my liking than Boston, with only 581,000.

No one can argue with this because it's your opinion supported by facts.

I am very biased toward the Mid-Atlantic Region, too. However, I find western Massachusetts aesthetically beautiful.

As I'm typing this, I'm re-reading your first asterisked (*) blurb which you could've written as "I find the fans of Boston teams to be obnoxious in their affection for their teams." See the difference?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think andthentherewere3 was just referring to moronic statements.
Exactly! Tina Fey was making fun of Sarah Palin and her often less-than-intelligent remarks. For instance, take Katie Couric's interview with Sarah Palin, when SP said something about the fact that Russia was a neighbor and that it enhanced her foreign policy----that interview was hard to follow, and just painful to watch.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Exactly! Tina Fey was making fun of Sarah Palin and her often less-than-intelligent remarks. For instance, take Katie Couric's interview with Sarah Palin, when SP said something about the fact that Russia was a neighbor and that it enhanced her foreign policy----that interview was hard to follow, and just painful to watch.
I found this on ABC News: EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

Of course, having Tina Fey deliver this line wouldn't be nearly as funny as the one she did deliver in the skit.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I found this on ABC News: EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.
LOL-but which sports teams does Russia root for, along the border?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM

34 posts, read 380,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Look I dont get peoples problem with some of the things I say. Its all true.

*New Englanders are scum who like the Red Sox and other Boston teams and are ABSOLUTELY obnoxious about it. Remember how they spent the whole two weeks before the Super Bowl saying our beloved Giants had no chance. Well we showed those a-holes! BIG TIME! 18 AND ONE! 18 AND ONE! 18 AND ONE!

*There is a Tri-State part of CT (all of Fairfield County) that commutes to NY and roots for NY teams and a New England part of CT (the rest of the state) that commutes to Boston and roots for the Boston teams like the rest of New England.

Whats wrong/false about that? Tell me.
So you've met every Red Sox fan? You've met every Patriots fan? You witnessed every single one of them commenting about the Giants having no chance? I highly doubt that. Maybe the fans you have contact with acted like that, but not the fans that I know.

I wasn't aware that one's location determines who you root for. Someone better tell my sister in Fairfield County that she's not supposed to be a Patriots fan.

Not all of northern CT commutes to Boston. Not sure where you get that idea. Most people work in the state, as far as I know.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 AM

356 posts, read 808,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKel View Post
So you've met every Red Sox fan? You've met every Patriots fan? You witnessed every single one of them commenting about the Giants having no chance? I highly doubt that. Maybe the fans you have contact with acted like that, but not the fans that I know.

I wasn't aware that one's location determines who you root for. Someone better tell my sister in Fairfield County that she's not supposed to be a Patriots fan.

Not all of northern CT commutes to Boston. Not sure where you get that idea. Most people work in the state, as far as I know.
I will. Root for your local teams.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 AM

177 posts, read 958,894 times
Regarding the fan locality. I suppose that the poster alludes to is the fact that cable companies divide Connecticut into two zones, where in the North East you get more of Boston local channels, hence the Boston native teams, and in the South West you get more of the NY local channels, hence the NY native teams are covered more. For someone growing up in one part of the state you may be more inclined to root for the team that appears on the TV more often and hence you are more familiar with it. Of course this is a sufficient condition but not the necessary one in making a choice for the team of your liking. One should also make it abundantly clear, that Connecticut has a significant influx of migrants from around the US and from all over the world and that makes it for a very interesting mixture of fans.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 AM

356 posts, read 808,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Regarding the fan locality. I suppose that the poster alludes to is the fact that cable companies divide Connecticut into two zones, where in the North East you get more of Boston local channels, hence the Boston native teams, and in the South West you get more of the NY local channels, hence the NY native teams are covered more. For someone growing up in one part of the state you may be more inclined to root for the team that appears on the TV more often and hence you are more familiar with it. Of course this is a sufficient condition but not the necessary one in making a choice for the team of your liking. One should also make it abundantly clear, that Connecticut has a significant influx of migrants from around the US and from all over the world and that makes it for a very interesting mixture of fans.
Exactly our local teams in Western Connecticut are the New York teams. We dont get the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins on TV but we get all 9 NY area sports teams. If Fairfield County ever got a team it would be considered a NY area team like the Devils, Nets, and Islanders.

Anywhere PAST Fairfield County its different. They get Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins games and can drive into Boston any day to see them the way we drive into New York any day to see them. It takes them an hour or so to go to Boston while it takes us 3 1/2 as opposed to 40-50 minutes to NYC. They live in the "New England" part of Connecticut and we live in the "Tri State" part of Connecticut.

So whats so wrong about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut