U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 PM

356 posts, read 515,714 times
Default Is there ANYTHING around Storrs?

Cause I'm 17 and I'm getting to the time where I gotta start applying to colleges (starting next October) and I want to apply to Uconn but everybody tells me there's nothing around the UCONN campus and the nearest city is (ROFL) HARTFORD and even thats like 30 minutes away!

So what is it like up there? Do people root for the NY teams (like where I live in Fairfield County) or the Boston teams (like I've come to realize everyone in Connecticut outside of Fairfield County does)?

Thanks!

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM

714 posts, read 1,247,400 times
imagine 16,000 seventeen through twenty year olds going to the same school. Thats UCONN. there doesn't need to be a big city around storrs in order to have fun.

where else are u applyin to?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Probably Syracuse, Boston University...not sure about the rest though. I'm only a junior.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM

714 posts, read 1,247,400 times
oh..during football season, for like $5 you can ride the bus to rentschler in East Hartford to see the football games and same thing for the basketball games. thats always popular wit the freshmen. theres trips to nyc and boston too, they're not that far apart. We have a real good student union (it has a theater, a wendy's and a food court inside. another thing that freshmen and sophomores is carriage and celeron in the warm months lol.

some advice:
make sure u do well on the math part of the SATs.
got friends at uc? see if they can let u stay one night/weekend. u may like it.

i went to syracuse on nov 15 to see the uconn beast for football and it made me proud that i go to uconn. syracuse is in the middle of absolutely nowhere (3-4 hour drive) so sorta like uconn but a bit more urban. Plus uconn is wayy cheaper and I believe we have more majors. besides, who wants to pay all that money to sit in a stadium and watch your football team suck? The best way to describe cuse is to put a smaller uconn into new haven (almost exactly).

Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 AM

Uconn's nearest city is Hartford! HARTFORD! How can it be urban?!

Uconn Football isnt that great. Sorry to burst your bubble. They'd get creamed by USC or Oklahoma.

I'm not much of a Notre Dame fan but I'm Irish/Catholic so I may try and get tickets for that game next year.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2008 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM

11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Uconn's nearest city is Hartford! HARTFORD! How can it be urban?!

Anyway, I suck at math. Writing and anything involving reading my thing.

Uconn Football isnt that great. Sorry to burst your bubble. They'd get creamed by USC or Oklahoma.

I'm not much of a Notre Dame fan but I'm Irish/Catholic so I may try and get tickets for that game next year.
How appreciative you seem of the information and advice given to you.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 PM

154 posts, read 566,123 times
You can't expect a football team who has only been in D1 for a short period of time to instantly get the top players in the country and be in the top 10. It's good enough that they were ranked in the top 25 in such a short period of time and have been better each year including a bowl appearance.

Storrs is not urban, it's in the middle of farmland. If that isn't your thing then don't go there. Hartford is also a dump of a town anyways with some lousy college bars (which may be your thing) and a few nice restaurants thrown a bit too close to the ghetto for my taste. Most likely you will be on campus or at the few local bars they have.

CT is a split state on sports although I'd give the edge to Boston teams the closer you get to Boston, that only makes sense. It's not like you will get stoned to death if you sport a NY shirt though.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,239,207 times
If you're basing your college decision and future education on a schools football team than I hope you get rejected when you apply to UCONN. I enjoyed my time there and I certainly didn't base my decision to go there on the success of its football or basketball teams. There is plenty to do if you look for it.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
yeah, there's really nothing around storrs.....manchester has a mall lol. willamantic is kind of a ghetto and hartford is a 1/2 hour away..

but its a big college campus. so, the idea is to do stuff on campus. its not quite ann arbor, madison or new haven for that matter....but its still a cool place.... and people are both boston & ny sports fans.

the townies lean towards boston though..

Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 39,542 times
I know there is a nice mall pretty close to Ucoon in Manchester. I think it's the Buckland Hills Mall. It's pretty big with a nice array of shops and whatnot. Props for liking the Giants. We won a huge game last night in OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut