U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,075 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at homes in these two towns and I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between them. Is there any? Also should I also consider Shelton or will I be priced out compared to Seymour?
Thanks for any advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 PM

93 posts, read 354,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RThomas View Post
Hi, I am looking at homes in these two towns and I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between them. Is there any? Also should I also consider Shelton or will I be priced out compared to Seymour?
Thanks for any advice.
Hi RThomas

Oxford, Shelton and Seymour are all part of the Naugatuck Valley in southern CT. All three towns are in a pretty centralized location with reasonable commuting distances to New Haven, Waterbury, lower Fairfield and Danbury. Many people also make the daily commute to New York.

Seymour and Shelton are more established communities with businesses, downtowns, etc. Oxford is a more rural town and is a bit more expensive than Seymour and Shelton (excluding the Huntington area of Shelton where real estate values are extremely high). Oxford has recently had a spike in real estate prices due to lower Fairfield County folks becoming tired of the congestion and high prices. Some homes here have gone up more than 100% since the last revaluation, and it was the fastest growing town in CT two years in a row.

In all 3 communities, starter homes begin in the mid- 300s (depending on acreage). You can get the best bang for your buck in Seymour.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to private message me.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 19,075 times
Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM

105 posts, read 316,936 times
Oxford seems to have some reasonably priced multi-acreage homes. I saw one with 7.82 acres. With this much acreage, are we looking at good land or, as we call it down here in the deep south, bottom land? In order words, is it usable acreage? Are these lots heavily treed?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,854 times
Default Seymour, CT

What's the population of different ethniticy in Seymour, CT?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 AM

24,612 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Seymour has a 2007 population of 15,834 people. The breakdown is as follows:
  • White - 14,631
  • Black - 402
  • Asian - 424
  • Native American - 21
  • Hispanic 654
  • Other 356

Not sure why this does not add up unless some people qualify for listings in two catagories. Jay

Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Default We picked Seymour

Oxford has very little services to speak of. It is very very rural. Mostly well water, and septic. No supermarket yet. not sure how many gas stations. They just built a highschool, but haven't been able to keep out the papers, because the town doesn't want to finish the ballfields or settle the school budget issues. But you may get a house with a bigger lot in Oxford

Seymour has huge new developments going in. The area of most growth right now is the northeast corner by the Woodbridge town line.

Most neighborhoods have water and sewer, but you do need to check each listing. The downtown has been the subject of Economic Development and the town is looking to grow. It has a supermarket, gas stations, etc.
and is right off Route 8, 334, 67, easy to get to places from Seymour. If you pick Oxford you add commuting time to your day to get to the highways.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

15,743 posts, read 22,011,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Oxford has very little services to speak of. It is very very rural. Mostly well water, and septic. No supermarket yet. not sure how many gas stations. They just built a highschool, but haven't been able to keep out the papers, because the town doesn't want to finish the ballfields or settle the school budget issues. But you may get a house with a bigger lot in Oxford

Seymour has huge new developments going in. The area of most growth right now is the northeast corner by the Woodbridge town line.

Most neighborhoods have water and sewer, but you do need to check each listing. The downtown has been the subject of Economic Development and the town is looking to grow. It has a supermarket, gas stations, etc.
and is right off Route 8, 334, 67, easy to get to places from Seymour. If you pick Oxford you add commuting time to your day to get to the highways.
My parents live in Oxford, and love it.

Oxford is not "very, very rural", as it's classified as Suburban with a current population close to 13,000 people and growing rapidly. There is a difference between a town having a rural appeal vs being rural. Oxford's homes are on larger lots (most on 1.5+ acres) and the area is woodsy, but I wouldn't call it a rural town by any means.

The town doesn't have a grocery store, but there are stores 10 minutes away in Southbury and Seymour. The one in Seymour is 1/8 of a mile from the Oxford town line. Currently there are plans to construct a shopping center along route 67 in southern Oxford which will have a grocery store and a few restaurants, and this should be completed by summer of 2009. Other than that, there are several shopping centers in Oxford. They have banks, coffee/doughnut shops, Quiznos, Dunkin Donuts, ice cream, pizza parlors, video stores, doctor's offices, tanning salons, etc. Yes, the town has limited services, but not "very little services." Well, maybe if you're coming from a large city you might view it that way, but in reality it's your average suburban town minus the big box stores. Residents like it that way.

As for Oxford High - the school just opened this past school year. The fields are currently under construction, and the football field won't be completed until all four grades occupy the school - makes sense to me. Currently the only grades housed there are freshman and sophomores, and the school will be fully occupied in the 09-10 school year.

And as for highways and commuting from Oxford - the town is centrally located between Danbury, Bridgeport, Waterbury and New Haven. It takes 8 minutes to get to 84 at exit 11 in Newtown from my parent's home in central Oxford, and 6 minutes to get to Route 8 in Seymour. Not that far away.

Just wanted to clarify.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,184,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Oxford is not "very, very rural", as it's classified as Suburban with a current population close to 13,000 people and growing rapidly. There is a difference between a town having a rural appeal vs being rural. Oxford's homes are on larger lots (most on 1.5+ acres) and the area is woodsy, but I wouldn't call it a rural town by any means.
If your going to start a semantics lesson, then lets be clear.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
Rural
Ru"ral\, a. [F., fr. L. ruralis, fr. rus, ruris, the country. Cf. Room space, Rustic.]

1. Of or pertaining to the country, as distinguished from a city or town; living in the country; suitable for, or resembling, the country; rustic; as, rural scenes; a rural prospect.

Who has "classified" Oxford as suburban?

I've looked at CERC.com's Oxford Profile http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/oxford.pdf (broken link)
It looks rural to me by the numbers and driving around there is lots of country settings. So, let us leave any further bickering to a matter of opinion.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM

15,743 posts, read 22,011,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
If your going to start a semantics lesson, then lets be clear.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
Rural
Ru"ral\, a. [F., fr. L. ruralis, fr. rus, ruris, the country. Cf. Room space, Rustic.]

1. Of or pertaining to the country, as distinguished from a city or town; living in the country; suitable for, or resembling, the country; rustic; as, rural scenes; a rural prospect.

Who has "classified" Oxford as suburban?

I've looked at CERC.com's Oxford Profile http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/oxford.pdf (broken link)
It looks rural to me by the numbers and driving around there is lots of country settings. So, let us leave any further bickering to a matter of opinion.
First I'd like to thank you for providing me with the definition of "rural" since I truly had no idea what the word meant. Sarcastic, if you couldn't tell.

Three summers ago the US Bureau of Census designated Oxford as suburban. The Waterbury Republican American ran a Sunday article on the front page showing the towns that were, in recent years, transformed from rural woodsy towns to suburban bedroom communities. Oxford was one of them, as was Woodbury, Southbury, Middlebury, Newtown and Bethany.

So aside from opinion (and you have a right to hold yours just as every other American), Oxford is factually classified as suburban according to the US Census Bureau. It's not a matter of bickering - it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or