U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM

11,891 posts, read 12,297,516 times
My vote goes to Caraluzzi's in Fairfield County. Great quality, a little pricey but worth it. I heard they're putting one in Trumbull but I think plans were halted because of uncertainty. I think it would be a nice addition to the Shelton/Trumbull area, all we have are S&S, Shaws and Big Y.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 AM

4,776 posts, read 7,701,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My vote goes to Caraluzzi's in Fairfield County. Great quality, a little pricey but worth it. I heard they're putting one in Trumbull but I think plans were halted because of uncertainty. I think it would be a nice addition to the Shelton/Trumbull area, all we have are S&S, Shaws and Big Y.
That is their second recommendation on this thread, I'll have to check out their new Newtown store.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 01-06-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

14,270 posts, read 22,385,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tionne317 View Post
LOVE- Whole foods and super walmart in wallingford

DisLike- Stop in shop b/c of their high prices
You dislike Stop & Shop because of high prices yet shop at Whole Foods? That is a contradiction IMHO. Jay

Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM

2,102 posts, read 5,087,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You dislike Stop & Shop because of high prices yet shop at Whole Foods? That is a contradiction IMHO. Jay
Yes and no. If you could get brands sold at many different chain grocery stores for less, you might consider them over Stop & Shop.

Since very few of the chain grocery stores sell the exact items as Whole Foods, then you don't have a choice.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 42,518 times
I decided to bring this thread back up front. If anyone new is on these boards, feel free to add your supermarket of choice.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,053,955 times
most of the time, S&S mainly because they're everywhere and thereby more convenient. but i've found in the last 3 or 4 years they discontinue stuff that i buy. first Coast soap then Entenmanns cereal bars. because of that i started going to Shaws occasionally. unfortunately, the closest Shop Rite isn't that close (Meriden/Wallingford line).

Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM

22 posts, read 42,518 times
Let's keep this thread going. Please keep posting your favorite grocer. Also, please list your least favorite grocer in the area.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 11,652 times
Default Caraluzzi's with another recommendation from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is their second recommendation on this thread, I'll have to check out their new Newtown store.

Let me the third to give props to Caraluzzi's. Living in Newtown we have access to Stop and Shop/2 Big Y's/Stew Leonards/and now Caraluzzi's and Caraluzzi's is real nice,clean,great selection, wonderful staff.

My wife does all the shopping but she hates Stop&Shop, likes Big Y (except for deli meats because no Boars Head and the produce spoils in 2 days) She loves Caraluzzi's and Stew Leonards (kids are 1,2, and 4 and they love to play and tastetest) but I am banned from Stew Leonards because I spend waaaay too much everytime I go.

Caraluzzi's get an extra nod for carrying PORK ROLL, which for some ungodly reason has never left the Jersey Shore where I am from but once people have it as a breakfast alternative to bacon on a sandwich......never go back!! Pork Roll, egg and cheese on a hardroll for breakfast!!! The BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,371,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newington101 View Post
Let's keep this thread going. Please keep posting your favorite grocer. Also, please list your least favorite grocer in the area.
It's funny you brought this one back up. Big Y has really grown on me since my original post 9 months ago. I still prefer ShopRite, but 90% of my grocery shopping has been at Stratford's Big Y in the past 3 months. The Stratford location should stay pretty competitive pricewise, seeing as ShopRite will be opening up the road a bit in Shelton in the former Shaw's location. That dumpy Stop&Shop in Shelton is going to deservedly get hammered. I'm not picking on Shelton here, i think the Stratford S&S is dumpy as well and i haven't shopped there in a long, long time.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM

109 posts, read 255,637 times
My favorite stores are listed from most to least preferred: Stew Leonards, Highland Park Market, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Stop and Shop, Price Chopper, Big Y, and finally Shaws. Big Y would score higher, IMO, if they actually had sales I could use. What's with the buy one, get five free anyway?

Stop and Shop seems to have a problem with not pulling inventory past the sell by date. I have been ripped off by them many times by getting home and something is past its date. Once it was a $15 pork tenderloin a week past its sell by date. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut