Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy View Post
thanks Jay for your advice. I've heard so many negative things about hartford. I will say they are only rumors dont know if these rumors are valid or not. Would I be able to take the path trains from ct to Nyc if i wanted to do that? I ve heard that hartford has a crazy gang problem. I have a teenaged son so I am not trying to bring him into a situation like that.
You're going to find problems like that in any urban area you go to.

I live in Hartford and have 2 teenagers. Despite the area, they've done pretty well and haven't gotten into any trouble - yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 99,384 times
You are absolutley right Leilani, It is most definitely hard to avoid gang activities and crime in general especially in urban areas. I just don't want to move from an area with little to no gang activity, to an area where it is saturated with it. I see your point where you said that your teenagers are doing fine, that makes me feel better about looking into Hartford as well. Thank you again for the comment.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

You're absolutely correct!

As a mother, you always have such good intentions for your children, but we all know that things don't always end up the way we expect it either!

I don't blame you for your decisions.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM

48 posts, read 99,384 times
I want to thank everybody for the advice. I will be following up on the new information that you all have given me. I'll let you know what i've decided!! thanks again.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
or maybe i'm jus 20 and grew up in the AIM culture. So if I sat here and used big words, do u think that I would be an exception to ur, "waterbury is a cluster of ignorant fools"? or would u say that "if he types like that waterbury must have TONS of Ph.D's".

Talk about being narrowminded. So do u think that only kids who graduate from suburban high schools use capital letters when they begin sentences? I talk how I talk cuz I have nothing to prove to u. u talk junk about city schools but guess what, I got into uconn the same year they added the writing portion to the SAT's. theres a time and a place for everything. btw, wut college did u go to?
I know this is off topic (and please don't take this the wrong way), but you remind me of my 16 year old son by the way you type and the type of language you use.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I know this is off topic (and please don't take this the wrong way), but you remind me of my 16 year old son by the way you type and the type of language you use.

As a parent of 2 teens, and a tween, I have realized this is how their generation communicates. Cell phone texting and IMing are responsible. My kids use it all the time to "talk" or communicate to others. However, it is not used for schoolwork and they know that.

I have to admit even I use the shortcuts when texting! LOL, cu l8r!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
As a parent of 2 teens, and a tween, I have realized this is how their generation communicates. Cell phone texting and IMing are responsible. My kids use it all the time to "talk" or communicate to others. However, it is not used for schoolwork and they know that.

I have to admit even I use the shortcuts when texting! LOL, cu l8r!
I guess it drives me a little crazy. Maybe because it was never used in my generation and I'm in my 30's.

I had a dispute with a teacher in my son's 9th grade class a couple of years back because she graded one of his papers as an "A", but when I read the story I found a lot of misspellings in words such as "there" instead of "their" - "cuz" instead of "because", etc. when i confronted her, she told me that this is the only way she could get the kids to write. I thought it was lazy and it gives the kids just another reason to get comfortable with writing like that.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
I guess it drives me a little crazy. Maybe because it was never used in my generation and I'm in my 30's.

I had a dispute with a teacher in my son's 9th grade class a couple of years back because she graded one of his papers as an "A", but when I read the story I found a lot of misspellings in words such as "there" instead of "their" - "cuz" instead of "because", etc. when i confronted her, she told me that this is the only way she could get the kids to write. I thought it was lazy and it gives the kids just another reason to get comfortable with writing like that.
Times (and values) do change. I had several teachers in elementary school who would "correct" my speech (it's never "have got," it's simply "have"!) and spelling.

By the time I was in college, more than one Composition and Literature professor were stating that "I don't get hung up on grammar or spelling." What?

I have friends who speak in abbreviations: you been to the new B-Dub's in New Haven? I had to ask, "What's B-Dub's?" Apparently, it's Buffalo Wild Wings.

It's not cute...it's lazy.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
Quote:
lol, i just turned 20 so im not too far off. As long as I'm effective and get my point across.

I think this is where the snotty/snobby issue comes into play. I think about it all the time, and I wanna say that it has something to do with the social divide in the quality of pub schools too. (I think) People in Connecticut do not have a lot of tolerance for others. i'm not offended leilani, but I do think that ppl in georgia or virginia (places i've lived/visited) would even bother to comment. This is what ppl mean when they ask "hey are connecticut people snobby?" They're asking how tolerable the ppl are.

(not necessarily directed to u leilani, which is a very nice name, but ppl in the state in general)

That whole attitude is whats gonnabe the demise of not just connecticut, but for all of the northeastern states. Residents of the midwest and the south are open minded to new things and most importantly, I think they're willing to accept that things wont always be the same. Residents should learn to accept people at face value and try not to be so socially conservative. If we don't learn to do this, minorities will always live and the cities and the suburbs will be white forever.

In my opinion.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Residents of the midwest and the south are open minded to new things and most importantly, I think they're willing to accept that things wont always be the same.
You must be kidding, right. The midwest and south are among the most conservative parts of this country, while the northeast is among the most liberal and accepting. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut