Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM

7 posts, read 20,571 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to move from California to Connecticut, but I don't know much about the state. More specifically, I would be moving to Meriden, Connecticut, in the area near Platt High School, which my daughter would be attending. I need to know approximately how much it would cost to move, moving vans, etc., how much a 2-bedroom apartment in that area would cost monthly, the quality of the neighborhood, the quality of the school, and anything else that might be helpful.

Please help us... this is a very important move! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Meriden is a small city with some of the issues you would expect in an urban area. Certainly not as bad though as some of the bigger cites. For information on the schools check the link below

Strategic School Profiles by School

Good luck and welcome to Connecticut. Jay

Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM

124 posts, read 367,804 times
The cost to move depends on the amount of stuff you have. If you're having someone else move you, get some quotes from movers for a more accurate picture. Last I checked, renting a truck was around $2000 + gas to move yourself.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

29 posts, read 62,693 times
Just curious, why this particular high school?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aopoet04 View Post
I'm trying to move from California to Connecticut, but I don't know much about the state. More specifically, I would be moving to Meriden, Connecticut, in the area near Platt High School, which my daughter would be attending. I need to know approximately how much it would cost to move, moving vans, etc., how much a 2-bedroom apartment in that area would cost monthly, the quality of the neighborhood, the quality of the school, and anything else that might be helpful.

Please help us... this is a very important move! Thank you!
I'll admit this is a biased post, but only because I think Meriden is CT's worst city. Sorry.

The city is rundown, people don't care about their homes enough to keep them up and the politics are horrible there. It is working class and very affordable for CT, but IMO those are the only two good things about the city. lol

Told ya it was biased. But really, I'm not a fan of Meriden. Can you tell?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,384,365 times
I'm not a fan of meriden either. It's pretty run down in most areas their are a lot of rentals their and none of the homes seem to be up kept all that well, and i wouldn't use the school their if you have any choice. If you're going to live their since it is cheaper then other areas i would highly consider private schooling. I would avoid Meriden...and look in nearby Wallingford, Newington or Hamden for a rental where you will find better schools than meriden. But if you're looking for a 2 bedroom apt in a safe area that isn't rundown it will likely cost you at least 950 or 1000 a month.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm not a fan of meriden either. It's pretty run down in most areas their are a lot of rentals their and none of the homes seem to be up kept all that well, and i wouldn't use the school their if you have any choice. If you're going to live their since it is cheaper then other areas i would highly consider private schooling. I would avoid Meriden...and look in nearby Wallingford, Newington or Hamden for a rental where you will find better schools than meriden. But if you're looking for a 2 bedroom apt in a safe area that isn't rundown it will likely cost you at least 950 or 1000 a month.
Some good suggestions. I'd add Middletown to that list too.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

427 posts, read 1,383,049 times
I have to agree on meriden, it also has a lot of gang activity. There are many other towns surrounding it that are much safer.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM

My daughter has some friends who go there... that's part of the reason for the move; she wants to be with them.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Thanks, but the reason for the school and Meriden in general is that we have friends there... thank you very much for your input, though! In California, we live in a pretty dangerous area, so it's not too much of a concern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut