Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 16,088 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of all this rude attitude around here.

Cashiers seem to be annoyed all the time, no greetings, no smiles, just impatient and unfriendly people.

Things are getting worse and worse, and it does not help to complain with the manager as he/she doesn't seem to see the problem with unfriendly and rude arrogant employees.

How is your experience in places like Stew Leonard's, Circuit City, Home Depot, Macy's, etc?

"The customer is never right, and don't you ever come back again. Thanks for your business!, Welcome to Fairfield Cty, Connecticut, the poor back yard of Manhattan".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM

21,589 posts, read 31,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacustomer View Post

Cashiers seem to be annoyed all the time, no greetings, no smiles, just impatient and unfriendly people.

Things are getting worse and worse, and it does not help to complain with the manager as he/she doesn't seem to see the problem with unfriendly and rude arrogant employees.

How is your experience in places like Stew Leonard's, Circuit City, Home Depot, Macy's, etc?

"The customer is never right, and don't you ever come back again. Thanks for your business!, Welcome to Fairfield Cty, Connecticut, the poor back yard of Manhattan".
People here aren't all for bending over and kissing your ***** because you decided to buy a slow cooker at Macy's. I find customer service here to be efficient, courteous and thorough. People here aren't generally for the fake attitude and BS - I respect people more for that and cringe when I hear an associate speaking to me in a tone that I know isn't genuine.

I've found that people from outside of southern New England are incredibly needy and have a sense of entitlement, especially those from places like GA and DC.

From your posts it sounds like you hate the USA. Good luck with your move out of the country.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM

132 posts, read 330,927 times
I was expecting a bunch of snobby elitists when I moved here but was surprised to see that it is not true. I do think that people here forget to make time for that extra wow especially earning minimum wage in a very expensive state.

I was surprised how people here keep to themselves. I expected a Desperate Housewives town where everybody needs to know your story, but people are more reserved and move on as if they could care less. In some ways, I like it. Not in others though.

People here can be snobby sometimes, but I have met so many wonderful, bright people that I know this attitude is not across the board.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM

34,811 posts, read 56,709,084 times
I am not sure where you shop but I don't notice this either in Fairfield County and I am there often. As noted people there do not give you a fake greeting like you will find in other parts of the country. People here are a bit more reserved. If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you. If you find someone who is not being nice, consider that maybe they are having problems and need someone to smiale at them. JMHO, Jay

Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 AM

326 posts, read 1,450,679 times
In CT I do not find the kindness in customer service that I find in the Midwest where I visit my in-law family (South Dakota is where my Midwest experience comes from). However, having lived in South Florida for 12 years, I can assure you that it could be much worse.
V

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,970,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People here aren't all for bending over and kissing your ***** because you decided to buy a slow cooker at Macy's. I find customer service here to be efficient, courteous and thorough. People here aren't generally for the fake attitude and BS - I respect people more for that and cringe when I hear an associate speaking to me in a tone that I know isn't genuine.

I've found that people from outside of southern New England are incredibly needy and have a sense of entitlement, especially those from places like GA and DC.

From your posts it sounds like you hate the USA. Good luck with your move out of the country.
Exactly!

I find the service is there when I need it most times and I would rather a swiftly moving line then being able to talk about the weather with a customer service rep.

When things are not so busy, if you want conversation, I find it's there most times as well.

The OP to me is the real frustrated and rude person and no matter where you go...there you are.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,870,695 times
I've not had a problem shopping except in some of the larger cities like Stamford and Norwalk, but even then cashiers are mostly friendly. And in the stores mentioned above, the only one I've encountered any rudeness in is at the Home Depot in Norwalk. I can't blame the rudeness because Norwalk is a city though, since I've always found the employees of Bridgeport's Home Depot to be friendly.

But I certainly wouldn't waste my time complaining to the manager because a cashier didn't smile at me.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 AM

235 posts, read 782,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacustomer View Post

Stew Leonard's - Very Good
Circuit City - Good to Very Good, depending on the person you deal with
Home Depot - Good, provided you can find someone soon enough
Macy's - Based on visits to the Milford Mall, Very Good. Every single time.

Also, without trying to play Devil's Advocate, I should say that some of the customer attitudes store staff put up with would make me pretty irritable, but most of them do a good job in spite of that. There are exceptions, but I haven't seen too many.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 AM

756 posts, read 2,216,013 times
I think the customer service is pretty good here. I don't notice much of a difference from other states I have lived in. One difference, this is the first place I have lived in that you are expected to bag your own groceries if a bagger isn't present!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM

34,811 posts, read 56,709,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
In CT I do not find the kindness in customer service that I find in the Midwest where I visit my in-law family (South Dakota is where my Midwest experience comes from). However, having lived in South Florida for 12 years, I can assure you that it could be much worse.
V
I have friends in South Dakota too and I agree the people there are very friendly. This is pretty much true for most of the small town midwest. Life is a bit slower there so people seem to have time to be a bit friendlier. I have found the south to be TOO slow though. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut