Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,321 times

Advertisements

I moved to Norwich CT last year, as an immigrant it's illegal to have a job, I don't have nor want a dog, and I have not been able to have any live children yet and our local churches, we've been to several over the year to try and meet anyone, no luck there either.I don't know if it's my caring, kind, interesting personality or if I'm a foreigner living in snobville, but I have yet to make one friend, and it isn't for lack of trying.My husband has collegues and those collegues have wives, and they've all said they'll call and we'll meet for coffee.....I'm still waiting, and I don't have their numbers.Nice!My husband also has a lot of cousins, and only the elderly show any interest in feeling sorry enough for me to entertain me, which is very nice, but there's only so much I have in common with an 80 year old.It's tough the only person I have in the world is my husband, and it makes me really really sad that I'm obviously so unattractive a person to have even one single friend here.I really miss my friends and family at home where I'd never have a day alone, im now into year 2 alone.Hopefully my greencard will arrive soon and I will be able to fly home for much needed woman to woman chats about life and the hardest bumps of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM

200 posts, read 610,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankery View Post
I moved to Norwich CT last year, as an immigrant it's illegal to have a job, I don't have nor want a dog, and I have not been able to have any live children yet and our local churches, we've been to several over the year to try and meet anyone, no luck there either.I don't know if it's my caring, kind, interesting personality or if I'm a foreigner living in snobville, but I have yet to make one friend, and it isn't for lack of trying.My husband has collegues and those collegues have wives, and they've all said they'll call and we'll meet for coffee.....I'm still waiting, and I don't have their numbers.Nice!My husband also has a lot of cousins, and only the elderly show any interest in feeling sorry enough for me to entertain me, which is very nice, but there's only so much I have in common with an 80 year old.It's tough the only person I have in the world is my husband, and it makes me really really sad that I'm obviously so unattractive a person to have even one single friend here.I really miss my friends and family at home where I'd never have a day alone, im now into year 2 alone.Hopefully my greencard will arrive soon and I will be able to fly home for much needed woman to woman chats about life and the hardest bumps of all.
It's not you, it's them. They're too good for you here. I learned that when I moved here.

If you try to strike up a friendly conversation, they look at you in shock as to say "why are you talking to ME?"

Snobville is right!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Hi!

I'm sorry that you're going through such a hard time. It is very difficult for adults to make new friends, especially when those who already live here already have their circle of friends.

I moved here from Montreal in 2005. Now, in 2009, I have ONE really close friend here. A few friends. A bunch of acquaintances. But only one really good friend. But anyway...

As for your ability to fly home, where are you in the immigration process? You don't have to wait for your green card! The first thing that I did when I immigrated was got my Employment Authorization Document (I-765) so that I could work, and my Travel Document (I-131) so that I could go home for visits. Check that out! No need to wait for your green card to get a good friend/family visit in.

Good luck!

Dawn

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Just so you don't feel left out, it's hard for native's of CT to make friends too.
Lived here my whole life, moved to a new town a year ago now and my ONLY friend here moved down to alabama recently.... (sigh)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Quote:
How about volunteering your time doing something you enjoy? You may or may not make any new friends that way but it may bring you happiness.

As for the op with children, I agree with everyone else's suggestions. Volunteer for things at the school that other parents will be at such as a book fair or class party. I haven't made any close friends yet either, but I know from previous experience, it takes time.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Quote:
____

I am so sorry to hear how you feel. I too agree, it is NOT you. I've been here for over a year now and I don't have a single friend either (relocated from NY). I never been in Norwich...is there any racial diversity? Being an immigrant in a non-diverse area can make things even worse. Try checking if there are classes you can take in the mean time. Perhaps the town offers them. Engaging in something will help you take your mind off the problem a bit and who knows, maybe you'll find someone in your situation you can be a friend with. Shame you don't live in Fairfield!

Last edited by ambarstone; 03-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 PM

8 posts, read 20,396 times
Been here a few years. No new friends here, either. Just the old ones. Lucky me.

While we're on the topic... these City-Data Facebook-like "befriending" methods don't really help with this friend-making business. Too much pressure.

JMHO.

Last edited by bug_in_a_rug; 03-18-2009 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM

103 posts, read 144,226 times
Life long Norwich resident here (Greeneville section) and I must agree, don't take it personal. I don't think any of us CT lifers have many friends. The best thing to do is find the transplants who are in the same boat. And as a side note, if you meet somebody from Occum....run.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
New people have to be somewhat assertive in order to meet new people.
This is particularly true in New England.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,396 times
Yeah, let's all meet at Evergreen Walk holding a white rose.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut