Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

As others noted your budget is pretty limited for the area you want to live in. There are no highways between Danbury and New Haven so it is mostly backroad travel depending on where you live. Seymour is a nice middle class town with good schools. Also look at neighboring Beacon Falls. Below is a link to informaiton on schools in the state. Generally I look for schools that perform at or above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests and that have class sizes around 20 students. I hope this helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Advice 2009 View Post
Hi, we are moving from Michigan to Connecticut. I will be working in Danbury and my partner in New Haven. We have 3 young children so we would like a great school district. We have a budget of $300,000 and we're not familiar with how much that would get us. Ideally we would like to spend less. In MI we can get a new 8 room house, but am assuming CT to be less for the dollar. Can anyone name some good towns with great schools about halfway? Thanks for any help
You will either want to stay along the Route 34 corridor or venture to Naugatuck.

Route 34 yields Newtown, Monroe, Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, West Haven, and New Haven. Naugatuck is on Route 8 and would be about a half hour to either Danbury or New Haven, depending, of course, where in each city.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 34,318 times
Thanks, we will look at Naugatuck. How is Meriden?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 34,318 times
Can anyone recomend any hotels near New Haven that is also accessable to Danbury and Meriden?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Meriden is kind of far from Danbury, I'm not sure you'd want to make that commute. And I don't think it's considered one of the better towns of Connecticut, and apparently the schools aren't all that great, either.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The houses under 300k in Seymour, Oxford and Prospect will probably be major fixer uppers though.
I wouldn't say that was true at all from what I saw, but everyone definition of "major fixer upper" is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I wouldn't compare Derby and Ansonia to Bridgeport either. Just my opinion
Just wondering???? No arguments starting.... but when was the last time you really checked out the valley?? Major doings going on up here in the valley and yet almost all CT posters steer newcomers away from Derby and Ansonia out of old habits. Yes, I personally think Derby and Ansonia totally have their fiscal house more together vs. Bpt. JMHO

Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
I wouldn't say that was true at all from what I saw, but everyone definition of "major fixer upper" is different.
My definition of a fixer upper is having to put more than 25% of the value into renovating the home to make it livable. Look at the houses in Oxford and Seymour under $300k - and they make them look good in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Just wondering???? No arguments starting.... but when was the last time you really checked out the valley?? Major doings going on up here in the valley and yet almost all CT posters steer newcomers away from Derby and Ansonia out of old habits. Yes, I personally think Derby and Ansonia totally have their fiscal house more together vs. Bpt. JMHO
That's exactly what I was saying...that both Ansonia and Derby are doing a LOT better than Bridgeport. And BTW - I live in Shelton. I drive through Ansonia and Derby just about daily. I travel along Route 67 from downtown Seymour to Oxford almost daily too.

Regarding what's in bold above - I'm not sure why you're pinpointing me, because I recommend Valley towns more often than most people on here like. Check out my posting history...

or did I misunderstand what you were trying to say?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-24-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM

154 posts, read 802,203 times
My biggest reason from steering away from Ansonia and Derby and some of the river valley schools is based on the OP wanting good schools for her children and that alone drops these towns out of the mix if you go by any of the major school index rankings.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I think at this point the OP must realize they are not going to find a town with "a great" school district with that budget. I think they would be better off looking at The Valley towns instead of Meriden. They are going to have to much some sacrifices.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM

132 posts, read 331,594 times
What so many spoiled CT people do not realize is that the education in CT and this geographical area is it's so much better than any other area. I only wish some of you would realize that the valley towns (Oxford not included since it is not ''in the river Valley'' geographically) offer education that is still probably above average for the USA.

OP should look at both Ansonia and Derby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut