U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,283 times
Default Enfield CT

I am debating whether to live in Northampton, MA or Enfield, CT. Unfortunately -I won't have time to visit those places physically until i move out there.

Northampton I've heard it be described as "artsy" collegiate b/c it is close to Smith, UMASS.

Meanwhile i have not heard anything about Enfield. Scanning through forums i have noticed negative sentiments towards "Thompsonville" and worries about safety. But i cannot discern if this worry is exaggerated or founded. Could someone please give an honest opinion about Enfield, it's safety primarily, and it's yuppie-friendliness?

Many thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,584,719 times
Enfield to me is a strange town. On the West side near it's official downtown, it feels a little run down. Head East and you encounter the "retail" section which for the most part is nice and newer...further West it gets more rural with a "village" inside the town called Hazardville which is fairly decent.

I'm not a big fan of the town, and IMO it doesn't compare to Northampton regarding the "artsy and yuppie vibe". It's more of a suburban feel IMO.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 AM

106 posts, read 247,423 times
Honestly apples and oranges, dude. I'll PM you.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 AM

106 posts, read 247,423 times
Okay, I can't PM you... Northampton is an artsy, well educated town with culture and tons of good restaurants and is walkable.

Enfield is mostly chain restaurants and big box stores. I like Enfield but it is what it is. It's an odd suburbs that in some parts is rural and other parts there's some troubled areas, but even that isn't too bad. Enfield is very convienent to I-91 as it's right off it and it's very near Mass and near enough to Hartford.

Both places represent solid places to live for very different individuals. It's apples and oranges as I said above. People who live in Enfield are middle-class and usually follow sports and are content with Fridays at the Olive Garden. Northampton is famous for it's art scene and diversity. But if you live in Enfield you can always visit as it's not to far away and it's a cool place. If you live in Northampton you wouldn't come down to visit Enfield though. You'd go to Holyoke MA for the big box stores or places in Western Mass.

Hope this helps. I don't know why you'd move to one or the other blind as they are vastly different.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,283 times
thank you so much for the insight! it actually proved extremely helpful in my decision!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM

14,153 posts, read 21,997,615 times
Though people here are saying things about Enfield, I should note that even its "bad" areas are really not so bad. It is nothing like any of the major cities with significant crime problems. Even the worst area is better than what is found in most major cities. You do not have drive-by shootings or gang wars and I do not fear for my life driving around the town.

Northampton though is a totally different vibe though. It thrives because of all of the major colleges nearby which helps bring in an educated and diverse population. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 PM

2,600 posts, read 5,838,217 times
Enfield's "bad" area of Thomspsonville is labeled so because of drugs and really nothing more. IT's not like people are getting shot their all the time or anything. That area is just lower income and has a drug community. Any other area of Enfield is great it is a bit more rural than Northampton...Though they do have a mall and big box stores where as Northampton has more of a downtown type feel.
Enfield to me is a good location but VERY different than Northhampton.
Enfield i would say consists mostly families and some singles.
Where a lot of the Gay and Lesbian community make Northhampton their home, for whatever that is worth to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut