Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My husband is interviewing for a position in Hartford, its questionable that he will accept it as we love living in Portland (OR) but if its an attractive enough offer he'll probably consider it. My parents grew up in Farmington and West Hartford (but in the 50s and 60s) so I know a little bit but I've never had to worry about things like schools and commute times.

So, we are trying to find out what an attractive offer would be so we're adding up the cost of things. Here's what we're looking for, would love some help!

We want the best schools for our kids, small (small!) public schools that are as good as private ones.

We would like a small community but one that is accepting of outsiders. I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I would like to live somewhere where everyone didn't go to high school together. While I think West Hartford is beautiful, I want something smaller.

Assuming we're talking about someplace like Simsbury or Avon, how much should be realistically be thinking about spending on a 4bedroom, 2.5bath, 2500 square foot house in good condition (ie. central air and newer kitchen)? And what would property taxes be like? Also any thoughts on Canton?

What is a realistic commute time from any of the above towns to downtown Hartford?

Utilities are so different in the northeast from the rest of the country so I haven't a clue what you all spend on oil heat a year or what the kind of upkeep cost would be on a septic tank or well? Naive questions I know but really need to have an idea of all of the costs before jumping in.

My mom is from Farmington and has a friend who teaches in the Farmington schools who has said that there are urban issues creeping into Farmington and especially into the schools. Any thoughts on this? We originally thought that we would live in Farmington but maybe its a little too built up now.

I'm sorry if my post sounds a little abrupt, I really do appreciate the help. I am devastated at the thought of leaving the Pacific Northwest for the east coast, so please, treat me with kid gloves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The Hartford area is a wonderful place to live. It is a small city so everything is pretty easily accessible (despite what others here say). You have a nice small downtown area that is relatively safe and there are MANY wonderful suburbs to live in with excellent public schools. Connecticut consistantly rate at or very near the top for its public schools.

It is commonly consdered that the most desirable suburbs around Hartford are West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. Farmington, Avon and Simsbury are in the Farmington River Valley which is on the other side of a range of small mountains just to the west of Hartford. There are no major highways to this area so commuting in and out can be an issue during rush hour. On the hand, once you are there you do have a feeling of being away from it all. These towns are very scenic and have many lovely homes on larger lots.

West Hartford is a more densely populated suburban town with a wonderful downtown area and some of the area's best restaurants and stores. there is a wide range of housing choices from modest apartments to mansions. Homes there tend to be older and on smaller lots but the town is great to walk around and there are many family activities.

Glastonbury is also a nice suburb that is located just southeast of downtown Hartford. Route 2 provides direct access into the city in as little as 10 minutes without traffic, 20 with. It also has a lot of nice shops and restaurants and there is wide range of housing as well.

If you are looking for smaller towns, then consider towns like Canton, Granby, Burlington, Bolton, Marlborough and Hebron. These are all very nice with slightly less expensive homes and a more rural character. The commute is a bit further but many feel it is worth it.

AS I said I would not be so worried about moving to the area. It is great. Jay

Old 01-26-2009, 04:05 PM

103 posts, read 427,924 times
There are many people who have relocated to the Farmington Valley and the surrounding area, just like you, so I think you'd find that you fit in rather well. Many, many families have located here for jobs.

As far as price range goes, expect $350,000 - $550,000 range, Granby and Burlington on the low side, Simsbury, Canton, Glastonbury in the middle and Avon on the higher side. Prices would be higher for new construction. Property taxes are high in CT overall - estimate about $7,000 - $8,000/year.

Granby and Burlington are the most rural, I think, followed by Simsbury, Glastonbury, Canton then Avon. You're more likely to get some land in Granby than you are in Avon but the compromise is the commute.

Each town has something unique to offer - Canton has a quaint section called Collinsville but also has a major shopping center. Granby has a lot of farm land and is known for being horse-friendly. Glastonbury also has a historic district and major shops, like Whole Foods and Home Depot, but if you drive out to the eastern edges of town, you'll find apple orchards. Throughout central CT, there are walking trails and a few state parks so eventhough you're not really far from civilization, you can feel like it.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
Commute time from Simsbury, Canton, and Avon to downtown Hartford will all depend on where you are in those towns. Some neighborhoods will have good access to Rte. 44, while others will be further out and you'll need to take feeder roads, adding to the commute time. If you're on the eastern side of Simsbury or close to the center, it would take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to commute to downtown during normal traffic times. Avon could take anywhere from 30-45 minutes too, depending on where you are. Canton would be between 40-60 minutes.

Simsbury prices will be most realistic for what you're looking for regarding pricing- expect anywhere from the high $300Ks and up, most realistically around $500K. Avon will be on the higher end, prices will start around $500K and go up from there. Canton will have the fewest options, simply because it's the smallest of the towns. Prices will start in the high $300Ks and quickly climb to the $600Ks because most of the housing stock related to what you're looking for is new construction.

Taxes will run anywhere from $7,000 to $10,000, approximately. Each town offers different levels of services. You'd have to pay for private trash removal in all of these towns. Simsbury has an additional fire district tax which will be an extra few hundred dollars a year.

When you purchase, you'd have the septic and well inspected as part of your home inspection. If there are issues, you can ask the seller to correct them. As far as yearly maintenance, it will all depend on your usage. For a family of 4, you would probably want your septic system pumped yearly, just to avoid issues. It would run around $300 to pump and service the system. With the well, you wouldn't have to do much besides changing water softener canisters, if they're used. That would also run you a few hundred dollars a year too.

As a side note, The Valley (Farmington, Simsbury, Canton, Avon, Granby, Burlington) is known for having issues with radon, so be sure to get a radon inspection on any house you'd pursue, for both the house and the well. If the levels come back high, you can ask the seller to remediate. Both the house and the well water should be able to be remediated to acceptable levels. A mitigation for the house typically runs between $1,200-$1,500 for installation. A well system cost varies greatly, depending on the levels detected. Well water remediation systems can run anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000.

Hope this helps. Let us know what other questions you have.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Another thing to keep in mind is that in Connecticut you will pay taxes to the town on your cars. Depending on the type of car you drive, it can be anywhere from $100 to $500 per vehicle. Also note is that there are no counties in Connecticut so you do not pay anything for that, just town property taxes and state income taxes. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut