Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 PM

16 posts, read 108,134 times

Advertisements

I lived in connecticut for over a year. I'm from Australia so it was a huge shock for me.

I noticed that people were distant and closed off. They seemed to have some kind of unspoken language among them that dictated what was funny/appropriate/bad/etc, that I didn't understand.

It seems like the people in that region have 'their business', and that's the most important thing in the universe. I donno if it's rudeness, but it certainly seems to cause problems when people going about 'their business' leave their own personal space and enter a public place, such as a road, store, sidewalk, family room, workplace, etc. That's when they come into contact with other people going about 'their business' who want things to go their way at all costs also. They seem unable to recognize when another person is not engaging in this behavior, so they naturally assert their dominance in a subconscious way, as if to prove that what they're doing is more important.

This kind of behavior seems to be kept in check by a process of dominant intrusion by others into their respective 'business', but if you're not playing that game, it leaves you feeling cheated and wondering why the hell everyone is so rude.

The east coast thing just doesn't jive with me.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 AM

92 posts, read 455,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
I honestly believe that most rude behavior is exhibited to mask fear. The closer one gets to New York ie Fairfield County the higher the "Fear Threshold." People in this neck of the woods are under enormous pressure from a multitude of sources. No excuse just reasons. It's hard to survive here.
Yet some of these same "Rude" people are the most decent people anywhere once one gets to know them. People seem to be afraid of any type of intimacy...A simple hello can be met with deep suspicion. It is sad indeed. I agree with the writer from the Tolland County area ,folks up there are much more approachable perhaps less afraid. People in Connecticut are like people from anywhere else,
some scared some less scared.

I do agree w/your assessment but as a resident of Tolland county for 50 yrs we have a lot of rude,
& unapproachable people too!
If you drive on "their" street they get suspicious & give the evil eye.
Maybe they relocated from Fairfield county?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM

82 posts, read 280,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLYS View Post

If you drive on "their" street they get suspicious & give the evil eye.
I don't see anything wrong with being concerned with strangers driving down your street, especially in small towns. That is how neighbors look out for each other. It's better than some areas of the country where people don't even know who lives on their street.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
If you want reserved come to Phoenix. Not only do people stick to themselves but each houses has 10 foot high walls around the yards! HAHA, I am so sick of this place.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
I don't see anything wrong with being concerned with strangers driving down your street, especially in small towns. That is how neighbors look out for each other. It's better than some areas of the country where people don't even know who lives on their street.
Totally agree. I live on a dead end, and we all know each other and the cars we drive. When a strange car comes into the neighborhood and doesn't pull into someones drive or just stops and does a K-turn, we pay attention.

Lots of times, a neighborhood will get "canvased" in the middle of the day for a future robbery.

It's nice when a neighbor comes over and says "hey I was home this afternoon and saw x happen on your property". I do the same for my neighbors.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM

82 posts, read 280,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
If you want reserved come to Phoenix. Not only do people stick to themselves but each houses has 10 foot high walls around the yards! HAHA, I am so sick of this place.
Been there, done that...lived there for about 6 years. I never had the opportunity to meet my neighbors. I mostly met people through work. Unfortunately, we may be heading back for family reasons. But each time I think about moving back there, I get sick to my stomach. I don't understand why my family insists on living there?? Gosh...I miss New England. We are in the Minneapolis metro area now and it is nice but it's not the same as new england.

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Old 04-26-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 15,131 times
Well I am moving the family from Texas to CT in about 2 months......so you had all better be nice. Especially, in the areas North, East, and South of East Hartford.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapacious View Post
Well I am moving the family from Texas to CT in about 2 months......so you had all better be nice. Especially, in the areas North, East, and South of East Hartford.
Fugettaboutit - rednecks aint welcome up hear. You betta get juiced to it or we gonna send antknee over ta tchrow ya a beetin.

Just kidding! Welcome to CT. We are nice people, just treat everyone the way you would like to be treated and you'll do just fine. Oh sure there will be some adjustments, but if you are willing to take the time and figure us and the area out I think you will be well rewarded.

Feel free to PM any time if you have any questions or need some help...I'll do what I can.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 21,161 times
talk about rude...

what's with the selfish, horrible drivers here? I mean really, what the heck!!!!

cutting off on the highway just to get one more car ahead when nobody can go anywhere.
giving the middle finger so often that it's like a friendly wave in the Midwest
where's the finish line? I'm going 75 mph in the left lane and I have people so close to me because they want to go 90
do cars in CT have signal lights installed? if so, i don't see them!!!

(i drive 84 daily between waterbury and fairfield county)

any insight? This to me is pretty damned rude!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayCT22 View Post
talk about rude...

what's with the selfish, horrible drivers here? I mean really, what the heck!!!!

cutting off on the highway just to get one more car ahead when nobody can go anywhere.
giving the middle finger so often that it's like a friendly wave in the Midwest
where's the finish line? I'm going 75 mph in the left lane and I have people so close to me because they want to go 90
do cars in CT have signal lights installed? if so, i don't see them!!!

(i drive 84 daily between waterbury and fairfield county)

any insight? This to me is pretty damned rude!
Generally speaking, if you are getting cut off, flipped off etc it's because you are not keeping pace with the traffic and/or becoming more of an obsticle in traffic.

The left lane is NOT for travel. It's a passing lane. Slower traffic keep right. If someone needs to get in to your lane and they are slightly behind you, hit the gas and not the brake...if they are in front, brake lightly.

It's that simple.

I found it just the opposite in the South. Two lane highway in the middle of NOTHING, with two cars having a cruise control race in both lanes. I flash to pass, I get brake lights. Sigh...flash to pass again, I get brake checked...Okay third time is charm, they speed up for brief second, make the pass and pull to the right lane. I go by, and WHAM right on my butt with the high beams flashing on and off. Talk about ignorant.

Sometimes I'm glad we don't have an autobahn because 80% of the driving public is scared to actually drive.

I do agree that people sleezing into a stopped lane last minute and such is - well, sleezy. I never let those people in, and in fact they may be on the receiving end of the 1 finger salute. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut