Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
What about the areas North of Route 1 and West of Nichols Ave?

I used to work on Broadbridge Ave on the Trumbull / Bridgeport / Stratford line and it seemed fairly nice up there. I'm just wondering why property prices plummet and inventory skyrockets the further you get below route 15.
The area that lies between Broadbridge and Nichols is very safe and doesn't have very many issues of theft/break-ins. It's difficult to say exactly why prices are where they're at. It's a combination of quite a few things, imo. Primarily, i'd have to guess that it's pretty difficult right now to finance a home that needs renovation for today's buyer. Most of the homes are circa 1950 starter Capes/Ranches(~1200sq.ft.) that haven't been "updated". Think linoleum, 1/4bths., paneling, shag carpet, "odd" 2nd story set-ups, etc. Clean, tidy, but asthetically not too appealing inside, which is easy enough to rectify, but, you'll need to have some funds to do it. I'm in this area so i'm probably a bit biased, but i do believe there is real value in this area, if you're willing to update/expand a property.

Edit to add: Sorry to the OP for taking your thread off-course.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 02-03-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
cdv

7 posts, read 32,082 times
I can only comment on Stamford (usually I only visit Norwalk for shopping)
Commuting from Stamford to Norwalk is ok. You commute against traffic, that is a plus. But even so, traffic can be a pain. Stamford has a lot of nice middle-class, but still diverse, areas. The one point we do not like about Stamford are the public schools. After our kids attended for a number of years we decided to go private (very costly but so far worth every penny). But it all depends on your perspective. I know a lot of people that are unhappy with the schools and some that are happy-in Stamford as well as in the surrounding towns.
If you want some more information check out:
Stamford Parents (stamfordparents.com) and the Advocate
HOME - The Advocate
If I had to decide today again, I would try buying a house close to downtown Wilton or New Canaan. Very nice, small towns albeit not so diverse. For the schools in those towns I would probably compromise and buy a smaller house or fixer upper. But please, take it with a grain of salt. Not having kids in those school districts it's hard to judge if they are really that great.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,414,614 times
okay, becuse my wife's job might not travel with her. .we are going to rent.

We are liking a condo at 750 East Main Street. We are getting, per the other condos/area. . .a decent deal.

What is the deal with the day laborors in the gleenbrooke parking lot (accross the street) should I be worried?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,203,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, it is not. I did not say anything was wrong with Stratford but some of the problem areas of Bridgeport (East End and East Side) do border Stratford and if any town has a problem with crime from Bridgeport seeping into it, it is Stratford, not Fairfield.

As for pretentiousness, every town has some of this including Stratford (I know SEVERAL people there that are that way). Fairfield has a broad range of people from those of modest means (including some of my family) to mega-millionaires (people I know or that my family have worked for). It is funny that some of the ones who are the wealtiest can also be the most down-to-earth. My cousin worked for a wealthy couple in Southport who were so nice. They use to come to our family picnics. My aunt worked for one of the wealthiest families in the world and the mother was also so nice. She often would drive up to my aunts from to have coffee and chat with whoever was there.

My point is stop trying to label people by their pocketbooks or where they live. Not all that have a lot or are from a wealthy town are pretentious and not all who are of modest means and live in a poorer community are down-to-earth. Jay
Very well-said, Jay.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
okay, becuse my wife's job might not travel with her. .we are going to rent.

We are liking a condo at 750 East Main Street. We are getting, per the other condos/area. . .a decent deal.

What is the deal with the day laborors in the gleenbrooke parking lot (accross the street) should I be worried?
I think you're talking about 850 E.Main. Personally, i'd pass on it right now. Around the corner at 25 Glenbrook, would be a slightly better investment, IMHO. That section of Glenbrook Rd. is fairly homogenous(condo/apt. buildings).

The problem with 850 is that you're surrounded by commercial property that was expected to see a large scale conversion to new condominiums. With the economic slowdown, nobody is rushing to snap up these urban commercial teardown properties. Also, you'll have a seriously congested and noisy road fronting your property. The day laborers are supposed to stay a little further south, but the city hasn't been too successful in keeping them there.

I don't know how active the East Side Partnership is right now, but here's their link to give you more info about that specific area.
The East Side Partnership Stamford, Connecticut (http://www.eastsidepartnership.org/newsletters/latestnewsletter.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut