Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
Isn't this the truth!

I moved to CT from WA state four years ago. The first year I lived in Greenwich but now I'm in Hamden and like it. But let me tell ya, CT is a weird state.

I read a lot of these blogs and found that most people think Fairfield County is what it used to be: modest old money where people drive old Volvos instead of brand new luxury cars. Well, that's changed because I don't see any sign of it. Instead, the towns in Fairfield County are some of the most pretentious areas in the country. The cars in the southern tip of the county rival the cars I saw while in Monte Carlo (Europe) and the way people dress is incredibly grandiloquent. Gucci, Prada, Burberry, Coach (on the lower end), AX, on and on and on. I even lived in the Santa Monica area and couldn't believe that CONNECTICUT was more pretentious than even California.

The people here are another story. There are three types of people in southern CT I have noticed. One type is the bombastic type, the others are the intellectuals who think living in a high income area automatically makes them liberal (beep, wrong. CT is so Republican. For the war, for taxes on the lower classes and against reform). Progressive, yes, but openminded, heck no! The third type of CT personality would be the inner city CT. Gosh, I have met people in Darien who have NEVER been to Bridgeport, and people in Hamden who wouldn't dare step foot in any part of New Haven away from Yale. The inner city people are barbaric here (similar to what they're like in the SF Bay area), they have a chip on their shoulder toward the rich CT suburbanites (and rightfully so!) and they're just as bad, just polar opposite. Mooching off of everyone else, entitlement, lazy and criminal. Yes, I said it, criminal. I work with people in New Haven and nearly every inner-city child or teen I've worked with is involved with some sort of criminal activity. I guess that's what happens when you're surrounded by some of the richest people (who dare COMPLAIN about money all of the time) that keep them where they are, a glass ceiling per se.

You know, I don't hate living here. I just can't believe how things work. It's not like this in New York, or even Massachusetts. Just Connecticut. What you all don't understand is that even your average towns are organized to cater to the rich. Example: Hamden just built affordable housing. Would anyone like to know how much they're going for? $270,000. Yes, that's more than what I'd pay for a nice house in Washington state. Ridiculous.

On the positive side, CT has culture, sophistication, great food, nice scenery, access to major cities, top of the line education and mass transporation (at least in the southern part). It is pricey to live here but it's not all that bad when you see what you're paying for. I'll probably stay here for a long time since my job is stable in this economy, but if I were to move, it would be to a much less pretentious place. Oh and for having so much money, you all are CHEEEAP! Giving the least amount of money to charity than any state, even though you're the richest. Well I guess that's how the tune goes.

Sorry for bashing your state. I just had to get it all out. No offense to you all. Enjoy your day!
What exactly is the "inner city" in Connecticut? I could probably be considered "inner city" but I have no involvement in crime and I go to work 5 days a week. I don't think I am owed anything because others have more toys than me. I'm not into high end name branded things anyway.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM

200 posts, read 610,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What exactly is the "inner city" in Connecticut? I could probably be considered "inner city" but I have no involvement in crime and I go to work 5 days a week. I don't think I am owed anything because others have more toys than me. I'm not into high end name branded things anyway.
By inner city - New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwalk, and you know the rest. Are you saying that the inner cities don't have more crime than the suburbs?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM

163 posts, read 374,702 times
SB28-I would delete Norwalk from that list, only because it's the last waterfront town that is trying to make a comeback, Over 500 new high end luxury apartments being built on West Ave. . The rest are still living in fantasy urban Obongo land. South Norwalk only has a few gunshots every once and a while shhhhhhh.. The rest???

Quote:
By inner city - New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwalk, and you know the rest. Are you saying that the inner cities don't have more crime than the suburbs?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that or imply that. I just wanted you to know that you were painting me with that same brush.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
Don't expect any sympathy in here. The BS is so far up most of the Perfect Ct. peoples dumpers, and other sheep herding states that their eyes are clouded with . It ONLY Changes IF & When something unfortunate happens to them or one of their own (and history shows it will). Then the four alarm sirens start blaring By then no one could give a rat's @ss about their pleads for help, and suddenly become Helen Keller. Don't believe me? Try it sometime.After you plow a driveway or shovel your neighbors walkway like a good retard.
I don't need sympathy. I'm debt free and still have a job. I just wanted him to know that some people are having a hard time right now. And the majority of them are middle class people.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM

60 posts, read 220,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Also true. And they shake their heads at those flaunting their new-found wealth just like the rest of us do.
Heck yes! I'm sooooo not impressed by someone who's in debt up to their eyeballs, but hey look at them, they've got the newest luxury car and new clothes and what not. Get a life! lol

Old 02-01-2009, 02:01 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Many people can't afford food, shelter, and heat. They have mortgage rate resets, job losses, and dwindling investment portfolios to worry about too. Not to mention that many people put their necessary expenses on credit cards and have a running tab.
I disagree. The people who can't afford food, shelter and heat are not middle class - lower middle class just above poverty, maybe, but not middle class. I'm middle class as are most people I associate myself with. We're doing okay so far. The people affected are those who had lower middle class incomes who attempted to live as if they made the salary of an executive.

The industries suffering right now are definitely the "extras" industries - electronics, hotels, restaurants, vacation packages, airlines, automobile to name a few.

If the problem were so widespread that the middle class (largest economic group in America) couldn't afford food, heat and shelter, we'd truly be in a depression. For now, we're in a mild recession brought on by fear (commonly known as psychological warfare) from politicians and the media.

I, for one, don't buy it.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I disagree. The people who can't afford food, shelter and heat are not middle class - lower middle class just above poverty, maybe, but not middle class. I'm middle class as are most people I associate myself with. We're doing okay so far. The people affected are those who had lower middle class incomes who attempted to live as if they made the salary of an executive.

The industries suffering right now are definitely the "extras" industries - electronics, hotels, restaurants, vacation packages, airlines, automobile to name a few.

If the problem were so widespread that the middle class (largest economic group in America) couldn't afford food, heat and shelter, we'd truly be in a depression. For now, we're in a mild recession brought on by fear (commonly known as psychological warfare) from politicians and the media.

I, for one, don't buy it.
That's not true. Many people who are definitely considered middle class over extended themselves and spent every penny they made, saving little because they believed the good times would keep rolling. These are the people who have their kids in every kind of activity for pay you can think of. Now that everything has slowed down and they have little savings and a lot of expenses they are in trouble. But we'll see who's right.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
That's not true. Many people who are definitely considered middle class over extended themselves and spent every penny they made, saving little because they believed the good times would keep rolling. These are the people who have their kids in every kind of activity for pay you can think of. Now that everything has slowed down and they have little savings and a lot of expenses they are in trouble. But we'll see who's right.
Honestly - I have yet to meet one person who is having trouble affording their home. My coworkers in Charlotte, NC say the same thing. So if nobody knows anybody having these kinds of problems, where are they?

One thing to prove my point: Look at the amount of home foreclosures in CT cities versus the middle class towns. The amount of foreclosures is significantly higher in the low income cities. Anyone have this data available to them?

Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Your best source will be The Commercial Record publication. It lists lis pendens, sales, mortgages and foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut