Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
It just stumps me how such a small state is always broke when we collect so much money. I would really LOVE to see the accounting forms for state spending. What really drives me crazy is that when there is a shortage it's either raise taxes, talk about tolls, or cut education spending. They are never able to look at their current shortfalls, they instead just squeeze the people out of more.
Every state cries poverty. It is the standard cry of the entire political system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You claim to be 17, but yet you talk about how great things used to be 20 years ago.
Five words:

T
R
O
L
L

Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 AM

60 posts, read 221,008 times
People, stop feeding the trolls!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Five words:

T
R
O
L
L
letters

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM

356 posts, read 808,704 times
So what? Just because i'm 17 doesnt mean I know things that happened 20 years ago!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
letters
Eh, it was early. lol

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM

70 posts, read 210,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post

And in that department Hartford is unequivocally lacking. Most of the better-known indie acts do skip Hartford, and swing through Boston-Providence-New Haven instead. It's not that there are zero shows, but there are very few indications of anything like a "scene", especially compared to New Haven, or even Danbury where I understand some very good shows have been happening.

Regardless, though, it's been a boon to Providence, which unexpectedly became a hipster haven. While some of that is due to extrinsic factors, some of that renaissance definitely can be attributed to bohos, bobos, punk/noise kids, and the like, who are willing to live on the edge in exchange for cheap rent and a free rein. Hartford is perceived as a combination of yuppie town and ghetto, and those are two things which don't really reconcile. Love 'em or hate 'em, if there were a real hipster scene in Hartford, it would do the town a world of good. We've got Real Art Ways and a few other things here and there, but it's nowhere near critical mass yet.
Awesome post!! Props to you...and I'm semi-a part of this crowd that is really wanting to get Hartford off the ground. I'm not the activist type, just the participant type. Maybe things will look better this summer (but this is only my 3rd summer here, so what do I know)

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Hartford needs to get on track.
i work in the XL building so i see first hand all the construction that's going on on Columbus Blvd. the science center is almost completed and they're constructing a new strip mall type thing on either side of Front St (parallel to Arch). not to mention the recently built convention center. at least they're doing something to try and attract people to downtown.

Last edited by Slipperman; 02-10-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
I avoided this thread because I thought it was about sports. Gosh, just think, it has been 18 months since I moved here and was on here telling everyone the same thing. All the new people sound just like I did (and do sometimes). I've learned to keep my mouth shut mostly and realize my time here will not ,or could not, change anything or anyone. Get with the program people it will be easier on you the sooner you do.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM

119 posts, read 369,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
My biggest problems with the state are in no particular order -

- Antiquated highway system in 95 is just absurd for the amount of traffic on it, especially in the Fairfield corridor. There are also some bonehead interchanges such as the 91/95 and 84 interchange.

- It just stumps me how such a small state is always broke when we collect so much money... They are never able to look at their current shortfalls, they instead just squeeze the people out of more.

"They" seem to have solved the traffic problem in FFLD Cnty by increasing the number of unemployed.

I've noticed rush hour is now actually an hour rather than the 3 or so it used to be. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut