U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM

55 posts, read 169,721 times
Default Big old house in Seymour...

There's a large, white house with numerous outbuildings in Seymour on Great Hill Rd, just a skip and a jump off of 67...does anyone know the story behind it? Is it privately owned, what was it built as/for?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM

11,770 posts, read 12,039,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embroidery_rocks View Post
There's a large, white house with numerous outbuildings in Seymour on Great Hill Rd, just a skip and a jump off of 67...does anyone know the story behind it? Is it privately owned, what was it built as/for?

Thanks!
The home is actually in Oxford, near the Seymour line. It's pretty amazing, I've driven by there a few times and am amazed at the size. One of the guest houses alone is at least 5x the size of mine, LOL. It's currently privately owned, but the town was considering making an offer to turn it into a library. I also read in the paper the owner wanted to turn it into a bed & breakfast.

from-Early-Houses-of-Oxford.jpg

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-29-2009 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

132 posts, read 209,837 times
I was wondering about this house myself. I drive by on my way to the Bronx Deli in Oxford every morning and could not imagine how or why someone would want to live in such a massive home. It looks like there are four or five guest quarters as well.

A very historic structure anyhow.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,122 times
The house is in OXford, not Seymour, but it is close to the Seymour line.

It is magnificant! Does anyone remember Trees of Hope that the old owner would hold every year? They would set XMas trees up all around the mansion and people would buy raffle tickets for them. Once my aunt won a Wizard of Oz tree, decorations and all. The money went to charity.

The house itself is so stunning. It needs some work but it is magnificant. The guest house is newly renovated and itself the guest house has to be worth over a million dollars! I think there is another guest house, a pool house and a big old barn.

I know the current family recently renovated the house but it looks like it may need a new roof. The town wanted to buy it for use of a library, but I heard someone bid on it for a B&B. I don't think a B&B would be good there, it is too suburban and not rural enough over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut