U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:25 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,789,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi Lori,

I guess because you're a Realtor, you don't know the "rule" that a buyer should never use the inspector that their real estate agent recommends as there could be a relationship between the two of them, and the Realtor has vested interest in the inspection going smoothly (i.e. nothing major being found) and making this sale.

I know, I know, not all Realtors are like this. I'm not judging; I love my Realtor and trust him completely. But some Realtors are not as kosher. Nor are some inspectors. Please don't take this personally -- I'm just warning the OP that it's not common practice to take the Realtor's recommendation of an inspector.
As a matter of fact, many offices have a display of cards and pamphlets provided by inspectors and other service providers (Radon mediation system companies, septic companies, etc.) and let the buyers make their own selection(s). Quite often, REALTORS® will alert the buyer as to which inspectors provide on-site reports upon completion of the inspection if time is crucial.

We usually will give the names of three inspection companies, lawyers, etc. just to get away from the claims mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,652 times
Hi DandJ!

I am aware of the line of thinking that suggests that an agent may recommend an inspector that will "make the sale go smoothly" so to speak. However, speaking from personal experience, I would rather recommend an inspector that I believe will be thorough & do a good job for my client so that my client 1) will be happy with my services and expert recommendations based on a 14 year history in this industry and want to use my services again as well as refer me to friends 2) will not find problems after the sale, which can lead to all kinds of legal problems for everyone involved. I do realize you are not directing this at me & are just presenting an opposing viewpoint, which I completely respect. I just thought I would point out the other side of the coin. I always make recommendations to my clients, which they are free to use or not--it is only my professional advice. Many are grateful to me for that, others prefer to find their own supporting professionals--attorneys, inspectors, mortgage people. I have also had many situations where people regret their own choice later & wish they had used someone that I had already found to be "tried and true". Either way, the end result is to have a transaction in which the client is best served. I respect both approaches.

Unread 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Tom King no longer works for US Inspect. He moved to MA towards the end of last year.

But he still inspects! And isn't all that far away :-) Now I am licensed in MA and CT. Moving was tough. I was slow at first and went working part time as an EMT. The sirens and lights are fun. But inspecting is my passion.

Hi Amy. Hi DandJ.

But yes, It is me. Tom the Inspector('Tom the inspectah' when my accent isn't kept in check). Formerly of US Inspect. I'm Now on my own.

The question about agents referring an inspector is a valid discussion. If you trust your agent to help you find a home; the biggest investment of your life, then you should be able to trust their recommendations. It's not a bad idea and call and talk to the inspector. Family and friends who have had inspections performed for them are also a very good way to get a reference on an inspector.

All I ask is that someone call me. If we can talk and we feel we are a good fit, then we can go forward.

Funny what you come across when you google yourself! lol.

Unread 08-23-2010, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,581 times
Lori makes great points.

Any agent wants to sell you a house. That is how they make money. The best agents want to sell you the right house(which may not be the first house). Referring a good inspector is part of making that happen.

When an agent matches you up with the right house and helps you get the best inspection(s), not only do they get the sale, they also have your reference for years to come because you put your trust in them and they did the right thing.

It goes back to working with people you can trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut