Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 30,136 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have heard in several states that using green board for shower and tub enclosures has been banned. Is this true for CT?
If it is and I use Cement Board instead can I just paint the smooth side or must I use tile or something?
Also, if it is ...where can I find an official statement that it is banned? I heard they put it right on the box but the greenboard did not come in a box lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Hey TechieGirl, try this forum, there might be someone who can answer this.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Why would you want to just paint the area surrounding the tub? Water and humidity are going to ruin the wall. You can always get those inexpensive tub enclosures.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
I have not heard anything about green board being banned but I'm pretty sure using it in the shower area is NOT to code.

But I will say this...Even if it wasn't against code, I would never, ever use greenboard in a shower area. Ever.

You're asking for moisture problems big time. Greenboard is for the REST of the bathroom as it's slightly more moisture resistant.

Use cement board, and Schluter Ditra underlayment (That orange waffle looking stuff Schluter-DITRA - Schluter-Systems ) as it provides a breathable but waterproof lining.

No you can NOT just paint the cement board.

Bathrooms are nothing to mess around with - I've seen way to many tear outs due to black mold in a short timeframe. If you really don't know what you are doing, hire someone. If you are insistant on doing it yourself, read some books and talk to the city inspectors BEFORE you do anything.

And remember, "to code" is the MINIMUM, not the standard. I always laugh when I see adds saying "We build to code". Oh, so you just do the bare minimum then. Thanks for letting everyone know upfront!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Hi - we went through the mess of bathroom remodels two years ago. Heres what I know:

JV is correct. Greenboard is no longer to code in CT for areas that come in contact with water. You should use cement board. In ours we did tile over it. You cannot paint cement board and in a shower area you should do tile over it or an enclosure.

Greenboard in the rest of the bath is the way to go due to moisture. And if you don't already have one take the time and money to properly install a fan. Good luck

Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
And remember, "to code" is the MINIMUM, not the standard. I always laugh when I see adds saying "We build to code". Oh, so you just do the bare minimum then. Thanks for letting everyone know upfront!
Not sure I understand your logic. If code says Deck railing height must be 33-36" by "code" you're telling me 36" is minimum?

Code is Code. It means it has to be done otherwise it's illegal or won't pass inspection.

Code simply means what you can or cannot do.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
Not sure I understand your logic. If code says Deck railing height must be 33-36" by "code" you're telling me 36" is minimum?

Code is Code. It means it has to be done otherwise it's illegal or won't pass inspection.

Code simply means what you can or cannot do.
You're right, you're not understanding. When I say code is minimum, I'm not talking about railing heights and such but materials and practices used.

In your example of the railing...code may say you need two 1/2" lag bolts attaching the railing posts to the outer rim joist. Why not use 3 or 4?

On the same thought, if code says 2x8 joists are fine for the load you are presenting, why not go with 2x10 for more rigidity and strength?

Code may call for 14 gauge wire. That's minimum. Why not spend a little more and go for 12 gauge?

You may pass code by doing basic gable vents. Why not put a proper ridge vent in for better performance?

Code may call for a bathroom fan that flows 500cfm of air. Why not put an 800cfm unit it that works all the better?

Code may call for Type M copper pipe (thin walled junk IMHO). Why not use type K or L instead that is much thicker and will last 50 years instead of 15 before needing a patch.

Code may call for an R13 in the walls. Why not add an R9 styrofoam to the outside or even do spray in insulation and make it that much more efficient?

See my point? Code standards are minimum for safe operation of your home. You can always do "better" most times...but you know why most folks only build to "code"? Going beyond it cost more money.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:01 AM

Point taken... So your theory doesn't apply to distances and measurements.

It's like using 12-2 for lighting. It's overkill and not necessary but not illegal because code says 14 wire for lighting.

But for arguments sake you can't just use a 2x10 just because code "minimum" is 2x8, because then you have to think about the structure holding up the 2x10. If it's only 2x3's then the 2x10 is illegal because of the weight.

Just follow the code and everything will be fine.

Reminds me..I gotta install smoke detectors today.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
Point taken... So your theory doesn't apply to distances and measurements.

It's like using 12-2 for lighting. It's overkill and not necessary but not illegal because code says 14 wire for lighting.

But for arguments sake you can't just use a 2x10 just because code "minimum" is 2x8, because then you have to think about the structure holding up the 2x10. If it's only 2x3's then the 2x10 is illegal because of the weight.

Just follow the code and everything will be fine.

Reminds me..I gotta install smoke detectors today.
LOL

Yea my theory doesn't apply to distances and measurments as a whole.

The 2x10 example was not inclusive. Of course the footings and support would be matched to the larger joists.

I'm an "overkill" type person most times. Same as you are with wiring. You should see my house.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 30,136 times
Default I need more advice

Let me start out with "I have a contractor and that is part of the problem."
We just experienced burst pipes on the second floor and some of my plaster walls on the first floor were ripped out.

I am addicted to those DIY shows, that shall remain nameless.
I already knew that green board was no longer kosher for tub and shower surrounds. This is why I made sure to ask my contractor to put insulation on the outside facing wall of the bathroom and to use cement board for the surround.
This guy is a "family friend" licensed of course and has been in the bussiness for I think over 35 years. I feel like a kid telling their dad that I know better.
So anyways he ignored me and now I have green board surrounding the tub/shower. Anyone else would have been fired ages ago..the one thing I don't want to mess with (by cutting corners) is my home...
There is no way this job is going to pass inspection if they find out. I don't know if they can find out...but I don't want it.
If I could find the code stating this is no longer allowed I would feel so much better when I approach him on Monday to let him know he is tearing it out at his own expense.
I am trying so hard not to be unreasonable and respectful...

Oh as for: "why would you want to paint the cement board anyways?" question.
I like the look of smooth walls over tile and I think somewhere I saw someone put down some super thin barrior and painted it...it was beautiful and paint is the perfect accessory; you can change it with your mood or preference if you have the money.

I don't have a problem firing this guy and I am not afraid to speak to him if I can't find the code..I just want to make sure I am not loosing my mind here.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

163 posts, read 374,838 times
Default Friend???

Sounds like an enemy not a friend. Can you say CHA CHING??? Your so called friend knows the codes if what you say is true. Why would "your so called friend" install improper sheetrock in the first place? Make sure you have a permit to back you up. All you need is your friend to get tossed off the job, and drop a dime on you. I like when people talk about creeps and always introduce them as a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGirl View Post
This guy is a "family friend" licensed of course and has been in the bussiness for I think over 35 years. I feel like a kid telling their dad that I know better.
So anyways he ignored me and now I have green board surrounding the tub/shower. Anyone else would have been fired ages ago..the one thing I don't want to mess with (by cutting corners) is my home...
There is no way this job is going to pass inspection if they find out. I don't know if they can find out...but I don't want it.
If I could find the code stating this is no longer allowed I would feel so much better when I approach him on Monday to let him know he is tearing it out at his own expense.
I am trying so hard not to be unreasonable and respectful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut