Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times

Advertisements

If there is a problem getting a spot in Westport you can make the drive to So. Norwalk, when we left CT last summer most of the newish (5 yrs?) parking garage was still empty! (my husband worked in the building next door to it)
Worth checking out.
Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM

75 posts, read 108,674 times
Hi Sky - thank you for the welcome back. We hope to check out Connecticut beyond the gold coast and will hopefully make it around your area

I have a question about the trains. When we visit Ridgefield, we plan to eventually take a train into NYC. As out-of-towners, will it be impossible to park our rental car at the station and go? Would we be better taking a taxi to it and skipping the parking completely?

Which cities have the better stations? Do they all drop into Grand Central?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolls View Post
Hi Sky - thank you for the welcome back. We hope to check out Connecticut beyond the gold coast and will hopefully make it around your area

I have a question about the trains. When we visit Ridgefield, we plan to eventually take a train into NYC. As out-of-towners, will it be impossible to park our rental car at the station and go? Would we be better taking a taxi to it and skipping the parking completely?

Thanks
Stamford seems to have ample parking.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 PM

15 posts, read 49,403 times
Your commute will be over an hour - approaching an hour and a half every day - The return trip will also be about the same

Westport has some pretty good restaurants though...

Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:

Thanks
Loll

do visit other parts of Connecticut- the Gold Coast and Fairfield county are not representative of the rest of the Connecticut- not by a long shot.

Try over here in the quiet corner- in the eastern part of the state- where I am near- its like a different world. Low traffic, farms, small towns and real earthy people.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:

I don't know about Ridgefield specifically, but any train in CT on the Metro North line will get you to Grand Central, sometimes by way of Stamford or Bridgeport (switch trains) depending on where you are coming from. The main line runs from New Haven to Grand Central, basicially running next to I-95, with many stops in between.

Parking varies from station to station. A friend of mine lived near Ridgefield and would go to the Katonah, NY station and take Metro North into Grand Central from there (a little over an hour ride in). Parking is easy on any weekend to go into the city. I have parked in many stations with no hassle on weekends (Fairfield, Milford, Stratford, Stamford, all easy). It is a totally different story on weekdays when commuters are filling the lots. So if you are going into the city on a Saturday, no problem. If you want to go on a Tuesday, the parking situation will be very different.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 AM

252 posts, read 769,528 times
Lolls,

Believe it or not, some New Englanders are actually happy to provide some detailed, hopefully helpful information.
I grew up in Ridgefield, and even though the character of the populace was considerably different back then (it was indeed friendlier!), the train situation is more or less the same. Depending on whether you live on east or west side of town, you must:

-- Drive 15-20 minutes to Katonah, NY for the direct train to Grand Central (a little more than an hour's ride)
-- Drive 15-20 minutes to New Canaan, CT for a train which may require a change in Stamford
-- Drive 5-10 minutes to Branchville, CT (actually a little village in the Southeast corner of Ridgefield) for a trip that -- i think -- may also require a change in Stamford.

Since we lived on the west side of town, off of Peaceable, i've always used the Katonah station. Parking may be a real problem during the week; you might want to investigate the day before you travel.

Indidentally, when i grew up in Ridgefield (population 3000), I and most of the junior high kids took proper ballroom dancing lessons at the Community Center, a lovely old mansion near the center of town. Walking down Main Street meant waving or saying hello to everyone i passed, even if i didn't know them. If i forgot the 5 or 10 cents for a flavored soda at Squash's store, Squash (long since passed away) would give me credit. My parents were well off, but i had to earn my own spending money so i washed dishes and bussed tables at the Elms Inn restaurant on weekends. I believe that it's still the second nicest place to eat.

It's certainly one of the prettiest towns on the planet. I hope that your daughter -- any you -- enjoy your times there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut