U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Connecticut for my retirement. I would prefer a small town that has a town square. I grew up in such a town in Illinois and enjoyed it very much. Can anyone help me with information about such a town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM

2,604 posts, read 6,032,684 times
Just asking for a town with a square isn't specific enough.

Price range?
Do you prefer near water or inland?
anywhere you will need to commute somewhat regularly?
Size of home you're looking for?
Nearby amenities you want?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,839,593 times
Default Looking for small town

Try looking more towards the coast of Conn. I particularly like Mystic Seaport..nice small town with I believe places to live in town. If you are not partial to the sea, then try places like Cheshire and Southington....the coast really is the BEST though.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM

"best" depends on what he's looking for and given that the shoreline is much more expensive it may not be what's best for someone trying to retire and living on a set income every month.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,942,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorchard View Post
I am looking to move to Connecticut for my retirement. I would prefer a small town that has a town square. I grew up in such a town in Illinois and enjoyed it very much. Can anyone help me with information about such a town?
We have about 169 towns that can fit that description. So yes.

Seriously though, give us some of your wants and needs and we can point you towards what would be a good fit.

There is a big difference between say Colchester CT and Ridgefield CT in many regards, but both are small towns with a "square" or "town green" as we usually call them.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,305 times
More details, huh? Well, it needs to be a small town - no need for a lot of shopping. It needs to be fairly quiet, but with festivals, etc. Not near the Sea (we live in Seattle now near lots of water and are tired of it). Must have friendly people and the cost of a house (not a new one) must be reasonable since we will be on a fixed income. We don't plan on traveling a lot. My husband owns a car repair shop here and would like to open one or buy one where ever we go, buy only part time. How is that for information?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM

369 posts, read 762,551 times
Why don't you check out the Pomfret/Woodstock area of Ct, very pretty, very quiet corner of the state, but close to Providence and Boston too if you want some culture. I know there are towns with squares there but I forget which. Rt 169 was named one of the 10 scenic drives at some point.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM

What is a reasonable amount of money for a home in your definition?
If you're looking for more rural and a smaller town I suppose i could suggest a lot of towns.
Durham, New Hartford, Canton, Hebron, Bolton..All of these are inland and are smaller more rural towns.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

553 posts, read 598,015 times
Connecticut has many towns with 'greens' (the Midwestern term 'square' is not used in this sense in New England). Litchfield County has many such towns, starting with Litchfield itself. But I sense there are some cost concerns, which might be better addressed by staying east of the Connecticut River.

Please remember that Connecticut has the nation's highest state tax burden, mainly due to our remarkably high property taxes. Expect to pay $1000 per month in _property_ tax for a nice 3 or 4 BR house with an acre or two of land. A smaller house might get a break, but you will be lucky to find taxes under $500/ month in this state. And they go up every year.

Additionally, the cost of living is high, there are much higher utility costs here than in other parts of the US, and we have an income tax to boot.

Have you looked at New Hampshire?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM

We also have car tax that not all states have as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut