Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
are you saying religious people are not intelligent? That's offensive.
I was thinking the same thing (and I'm not too religious).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Oh, I know this. That's why I said they are very nice people who are a product of their environment. Same reason we are the way we are here in New England. Even so, with your explanation, still not my cup-o-joe.
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if you realized that or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You've lived in Charlotte for too long, JV. Since when does saying "I'm Catholic" mean "buzz off?" If that's how they see it, still, I find it very sad.
LOL It wasn't in Charlotte, I get that more up here than anything when talking matters of faith.

When I get the "well I'm catholic" blow off, I usually try to lighten the mood and say "oh, so we are both Christian then, great!" and it really separates the folks just letting me know they are Catholic and those saying "buzz off".

Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
are you saying religious people are not intelligent? That's offensive.
I think it's rather close-minded and unintelligent actually.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
it's also distinct because even the RURAL areas are non-religious. rural oregon isn't much less religious than rural texas ...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
it's also distinct because even the RURAL areas are non-religious. rural oregon isn't much less religious than rural texas ...
Yea we don't keep our hippie athiest liberal friends contained in just the cities like you folks, we let them live in the country too.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if you realized that or not.

LOL It wasn't in Charlotte, I get that more up here than anything when talking matters of faith.

When I get the "well I'm catholic" blow off, I usually try to lighten the mood and say "oh, so we are both Christian then, great!" and it really separates the folks just letting me know they are Catholic and those saying "buzz off".
Ahh, okay. "Buzz off" sounds like it'd fit better in CT anyway, lol.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
One time when we lived in North Carolina next to a great young couple, who happened to be Baptist, it proved to be quite comical. They of course didn't drink and we of course the good Catholics we are, did. Every time my husband would be working in the yard he would always offer the neighbor a beer. For three years this went on. We never had a problem with anyone asking us if we had found a church. We just said we were Catholic and that would end the conversation.
Ah, good ole NC!!

I've had my fair share with the Baptists. But none of them ever bullied me for being catholic, a treatment I'd been subjected to by other folks, for instance, many of my friends who happen to be SDA's.

Also, with regard to NC, I found bigdave's religion heatmap in the first page a bit surprising where NC and SC are kind of yellow, both these states had some of the most ultra-conservative christians I'd met all my life.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Some of the greatest intellectuals come from the church. If you don't believe it, lets go a few rounds and see if you can keep up.
Several people ward them off, but actually the early works of Jerome, Augustine etc., are probably the most complex of polemics and intellectual arguments I have ever come across.

There's this great book I grabbed from Amazon once upon a time. Here's the link:

Amazon.com: How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization: Thomas E. Woods : Books

"Ask a college student today what he knows about the Catholic Church and his answer might come down to one word: "corruption." But that one word should be "civilization." Western civilization has given us the miracles of modern science, the wealth of free-market economics, the security of the rule of law, a unique sense of human rights and freedom, charity as a virtue, splendid art and music, a philosophy grounded in reason, and innumerable other gifts that we take for granted as the wealthiest and most powerful civilization in history.

But what is the ultimate source of these gifts? Bestselling author and professor Thomas E. Woods, Jr. provides the long neglected answer: the Catholic Church. Woods’s story goes far beyond the familiar tale of monks copying manuscripts and preserving the wisdom of classical antiquity.

In How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, you’ll learn: · Why modern science was born in the Catholic Church · How Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market economics five hundred years before Adam Smith · How the Catholic Church invented the university · Why what you know about the Galileo affair is wrong · How Western law grew out of Church canon law · How the Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life No institution has done more to shape Western civilization than the two-thousand-year-old Catholic Church—and in ways that many of us have forgotten or never known. How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization is essential reading for recovering this lost truth."

Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I'm not sure if Jay will appreciate religion in this forum. But here goes:

CT has been in the news like two days ago. NE is the least religious and least catholic region in America per the latest survey.

What do you guys think? Could this really be factual? When I was in CT, I used to visit one church every Sunday and every church was kind of overflowing.

Perhaps the left is at it again
I'm glad to hear this...it is a good thing.
The worst thing about this country are those religious wacko nutjobs...like GWBush..and Sarah Palin.

They have a perverse religious belief that evolution does not exist...reject all geologic evidence...want THIS to be taught as science at out schools.
Further....they want to force US to have babies we don't want....rap children...bastards...teen pregnancy...even if the mother';s life is in jeopardy.
They don't believe in stem cell...claiming it kills life...when REAL human life can be saved.

They want prayer in school and don't believe in contraceptives...so STDs can be spread.

No...I'm perfectly ok with having a least religious state.
Our forefathers had it right...seperation of church and state...because it's wrong for one person, like Sarah Palin and Geogre Bush, to impose THEIR persverse religious views on ME.

Why should I have to have a bastard child I don't want.
Why should I not be allowed the benefits of stem cell research?
Why should I have to be taught creationism bullsh*t?
Why should I have to sing their prayer in school?

Religion is like the bathroom....keep what you do in church to YOURSELF.
Don't subject me to your wacky views.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Why should I have to have a bastard child I don't want.
Why should I not be allowed the benefits of stem cell research?
Why should I have to be taught creationism bullsh*t?
Why should I have to sing their prayer in school?
I'm going to give this post a mulligan for now because I'd like to settle in with the family.

But I will say it's pretty obvious to me that "I" is the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut