Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM

34 posts, read 110,867 times

Advertisements

I will be coming from southern Calif. April 1st, considering a 1 bdrm house in Woodstock Valley to rent. Can anyone tell me about this area.
How close is a grocery store? A lake for hiking? bike trails?
The closest Airport that flies to orange county, Calif from Connecticutt?
Does it have a town? Is it in a valley? Can you describe it?
Any information will just be so appreciated.....I am moving into this vicinty in 3 weeks. Just to give you a bit about me...54 single female, 2 cats, my children are adults, this is my dream to move back to New England from Calif.. came here when I was 12 years old, with mom and Dad.
I really enjoy biking, swimming, tennis, hiking, kyaking, reading, music,
and gardening too....and much more...I hope to find new friends to get to know and enjoy, any ideas of clubs etc on this? Everyone on the forums are so helpful and nice, it makes coming to meet you so exciting....Thanks for any helpful information, I really appreciate it!!! Sincerely Sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Deerstar - I remember your other posts. How did you find Woodstock Valley of all places? I thought you wanted to be near the water. don't get me wrong, it is a very nice area. Woodstock Valley is a section of the Town of Woodstock. This is a small town in northeast Connecticut with about 8,000 residents, so it is pretty quiet. The town has a couple of small stores but nothing major. The nearest supermarkets are in neighboring Putnam which is about 10 miles away. The nearest major airport is Bradley Airport which is about 50 miles to the east and will take an hour to drive. The next closest would be T.F. Greene in Rhode Island. It too is about 50 miles away but would take about an hour and 15 minutes over mostly back roads. Logan Airport in Boston is about 80 miles away and will take about an hour and a half to get to. Not sure about your other questions though but I thought I would answer what I knew. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM

34 posts, read 110,867 times
Dear Jay,
I am still here. and I am laughing, because I think you are the only other soul who is witnessing my landing delimmas (spelling wrong)... I have been at this for months as you might know, I am leaving still on April 1st, and yesterday I actually mailed my first application.
This has been quite a learning process, trying to find somewhere to land from California, without coming first to check it out. Jay, please know, if I had anyone behind me (depending on me), a job, or other responsibilities, I would have had to just show up somewhere and make arrangements,
But being single and in this odd independent phase, I elected this way. I started in Maine, (around the portland area) I could almost taste the lobster as I dreamed of all the good lunches and dinners awaiting. I would read the forum and instantly I find folks writing letters that sound like mine.
Wanting to leave Calif. for New England's 4 seasons, they said they thought for sure they would end up in Maine, but after arriving fell in love with New Hampshire. I read more and more about New Hampshire and Dad took us on the only vacation of my childhood to Rye Beach, New Hampshire.
So I studied New Hampshire until I found Portsmouth. Then I began looking for a place on Craig's list.
Then I struggled with sending email and finally had to go over to the Apple Computer Store for help.
Then in pursuit of a place I begin to discover the kinks of that process. Of course I have my immediate needs and preferences in a place to stay. I learn in this process...finding them all together is harder than I thought. After spending weeks looking for a place in New Hampshire without no avail, I decide to try my other dream idea place to live Connectiutt, then Rhode Island, then New York, Pennsylvania, and yesterday I mailed the application to Clinton, Massachusetts.......I have got to go get coffee, I will be back later, please write me. I hope you have a sense of HUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Wow Deerstar, you are about to embark on some adventure. I do not think I would do it, but then again, I am a pretty boring person. I think you will find that there is no one prefect place. What I like will be different from what you will like. Any state in New England would be wonderful. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut