U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 51,377 times

Advertisements

In about a year my husband and I will FINALLY be able to settle after many moves around CA and the South West Area. While these areas have been good to us, they lack in some things I would like in a place where I settle FOR GOOD.

I lived the first 6 years of life on the east coast and spent a few summers there as an older kid and am enamored with it from my memories of it. I believe the somewhere on the East Coast I may able to find my perfect location. (Hopefully someone on here can help me!)

I'm posting this in several different states I feel may be ones that have towns or cities that fit this criteria, but if you have a suggestion of another town in a different state, I'm open to all ideas.

Here's what I am looking for in a new home and community.

I want to live somewhere:

- Where it's very green and lush with nature, and grass, and hills, and lots and lots of trees, especially deciduous trees.

- Where is gets four distinct seasons, of snow in the winter, rain and new growth in the spring, warm or hot weather in the summer, and deciduous trees that change color in the fall with all the traditional orange, red and yellow colors all over the landscape.

- Where the community has a central hub where locals hang out, (maybe like a main street or central park) and where community events take place. Where there are events that focus on local sports for kids, and theater and art. Where there are festivals and such several times a year or farmer's market's, etc.

- Where there are pick your own produce orchard and or farms no great than 60-120 miles outside of town.

- Where there are hiking or bike trails near by and or parks where one could walk, bike, or rollerblade in the warmer months.

- Where the town has a small town feel, although it doesn't have to be small. It could be anywhere from 500 to 50,000+ so long as it has a feeling of unity and such in the community with events, and rec center for youth and adults and what not.

- Where gardening is good and you don't have to work really hard (like 2-3 years) before you can get things to grow even remotely in your back yard soil.

- Where there is a major city of over 100,000 within about 60 miles that has a college or colleges, and a Sam's Club or Costco like shopping center.

- Where cost of living isn't through the roof. (Example standard house of 3br/2bath 1500 sq. ft. costing $700,000 is too much in my opinion) My thresh hold for a house of this type costing too much would be $400,000.

- Here is a strange request but I would like there to be a ballroom dance studio and theater group in the city/town. (If not in town I can settle for it being in the major city just outside of town)

- And here is the strangest request yet, but I would like to find a community that is fairly split in its political preference of both republican and democrat. Or at least not heavily one and really skimpy on another.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TIME ANYONE TAKES TO RESPOND.

Last edited by Gypsy-Dancer; 03-18-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM

24,728 posts, read 40,337,922 times
What you describe is pretty much what Connecticut is like. I would suggest looking into the Hartford or New Haven areas. The shoreline area east of New Haven is very nice. Check out towns like Guilford, Branford or Madison. In the Hartford area check out Glastonbury, Simsbury, Granby or Farmington. These are all very lovely towns with a lot to offer. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,243,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Dancer View Post
In about a year my husband and I will FINALLY be able to settle after many moves around CA and the South West Area. While these areas have been good to us, they lack in some things I would like in a place where I settle FOR GOOD.

I lived the first 6 years of life on the east coast and spent a few summers there as an older kid and am enamored with it from my memories of it. I believe the somewhere on the East Coast I may able to find my perfect location. (Hopefully someone on here can help me!)

I'm posting this in several different states I feel may be ones that have towns or cities that fit this criteria, but if you have a suggestion of another town in a different state, I'm open to all ideas.

Here's what I am looking for in a new home and community.

I want to live somewhere:

- Where it's very green and lush with nature, and grass, and hills, and lots and lots of trees, especially deciduous trees.

- Where is gets four distinct seasons, of snow in the winter, rain and new growth in the spring, warm or hot weather in the summer, and deciduous trees that change color in the fall with all the traditional orange, red and yellow colors all over the landscape.

- Where the community has a central hub where locals hang out, (maybe like a main street or central park) and where community events take place. Where there are events that focus on local sports for kids, and theater and art. Where there are festivals and such several times a year or farmer's market's, etc.

- Where there are pick your own produce orchard and or farms no great than 60-120 miles outside of town.

- Where there are hiking or bike trails near by and or parks where one could walk, bike, or rollerblade in the warmer months.

- Where the town has a small town feel, although it doesn't have to be small. It could be anywhere from 500 to 50,000+ so long as it has a feeling of unity and such in the community with events, and rec center for youth and adults and what not.

- Where gardening is good and you don't have to work really hard (like 2-3 years) before you can get things to grow even remotely in your back yard soil.

- Where there is a major city of over 100,000 within about 60 miles that has a college or colleges, and a Sam's Club or Costco like shopping center.

- Where cost of living isn't through the roof. (Example standard house of 3br/2bath 1500 sq. ft. costing $700,000 is too much in my opinion) My thresh hold for a house of this type costing too much would be $400,000.

- Here is a strange request but I would like there to be a ballroom dance studio and theater group in the city/town. (If not in town I can settle for it being in the major city just outside of town)

- And here is the strangest request yet, but I would like to find a community that is fairly split in its political preference of both republican and democrat. Or at least not heavily one and really skimpy on another.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TIME ANYONE TAKES TO RESPOND.
I'm not sure where you posted this message overall, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of "that's us" posts, but I can honestly look you in the eye and tell you that you just described the Metro Hartford area very well as well as the Great New Haven area.

Seriously.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Interesting you say that, cause I've looked very carefully at those two cities. I'm trying to get an insiders feel though. So you're post was just what I'm looking to hear. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting you say that, cause I've looked very carefully at those two cities. I'm trying to get an insiders feel though. So you're post was just what I'm looking to hear. Thanks for the reply!
What type of info are you looking for? I'm very much a "realist" about things so you'll get no fluff...and I'm all over this state and tend to get involved with everything I can for the experience so I know the area well. I'm more than happy to share what I can with you.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
What type of info are you looking for? I'm very much a "realist" about things so you'll get no fluff...and I'm all over this state and tend to get involved with everything I can for the experience so I know the area well. I'm more than happy to share what I can with you.
Well one of the things I am concerned about cold humidity. I can tolerate it for a season but not all year. Hot humidity is not a problem. In the New Haven area I imagine the humidity is high because it is a coastal town. Is this assumption correct? And is it humid all year or just in the summer and winter months?

I am assuming that Hartford is less humid? Also is this assumption correct. Again hot humidity ok, but cold is bad for the asthma.

I would like to live on the east side of Hartford as first choice. Somewhere around the Manchester area. Can you suggest any little communities/towns that fit the bill of what I stated above in the first thread?

Do you know anything about homeschooling issues there? I do know that CT is one of the few states that has nonexistent regulations in regard to homeschooling children, compared to all the other northern east coast states. Any thing you know about this would be great at well.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM

276 posts, read 1,227,868 times
Guilford. It's fits just about all your criteria.

We just had to leave Guilford due to my husbands job and are now in CA. I can honestly say I wouldn't hate CA nearly as much as I do if I hadn't absolutely loved Guilford!

Bishops' s Orchard: Bishop's Orchards - Home Page
Town website: Guilford Chamber of Commerce

Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well one of the things I am concerned about cold humidity. I can tolerate it for a season but not all year. Hot humidity is not a problem. In the New Haven area I imagine the humidity is high because it is a coastal town. Is this assumption correct? And is it humid all year or just in the summer and winter months?

I am assuming that Hartford is less humid? Also is this assumption correct. Again hot humidity ok, but cold is bad for the asthma.

I would like to live on the east side of Hartford as first choice. Somewhere around the Manchester area. Can you suggest any little communities/towns that fit the bill of what I stated above in the first thread?

Do you know anything about homeschooling issues there? I do know that CT is one of the few states that has nonexistent regulations in regard to homeschooling children, compared to all the other northern east coast states. Any thing you know about this would be great at well.

Thank you for being so helpful.
Well I can tell you this.

We do have "more humid" Winters then say Colorado.

BUT when I moved to Florida I was SHOCKED at how humid it was there in the Winter. 35 degrees there felt like 18 here!

Relative humidity in Winter here drops to a level I would call "mid-range". You get more humidity in the Summer months because everything is all moisty and green. When the sun hits it, you get humidity. You also have the gulf stream heading up from time to time. On the flip side, those days don't last that long and we also have cold dry air blow in from the North.

In the Winter, when you heat your home the humidity levels drop a LOT. The average humidity in my home in the Winter is 25%. In fact I have a humidifier in my house all Winter for that reason.

Spring and Fall have darn near perfect conditions. September days are so crisp and "warm" you think you are on another planet. Experience one, and you'll understand why 9/11/01 was such a "shocker" as it was one of those crisp, blue sky, warm, everything is perfect, Sept mornings. You just have to experience it to know it.

The bottom line is, the climate gives a lot of variety - which I suppose is why I like it so much. I get bored with things fairly quickly and here it seems just when I'm sick of something, we are at the end and headed towards the next "thing" in our climate. For instance, we only get about 2 months of hard Winter. I love it at first, but by the end of Feb, I've had enough. Sure enough March comes around and "Winter" has broken and we get 50 degree days.

East of the River has a lot of choices. Knowing your budget and personal wants helps a lot.

If you are more into the "chi chi" burb, Glastonbury has it down to a science - but homes are more expensive there.

Manchester is a small city that has a ton of diversity and many faces.

Bolton is a historic "farm town" with a "town center" etc and nice open spaces.

Coventry is part farm town and part historic New England village.

Everything here is really just a short drive from the city core (Hartford) so it really depends on your wants and budget.

As for homeschooling, I'm sorry I don't have much info on that. We plan on sending our kids to a local, private run Christian school here in Manchester. (No not a "money" place, but a church outreach/run facility that is more akin to homeschooling really)

Keep the info coming...we've got replies.

Edit: Sorry, it's been a long day and I missed your budget. $400K would give you a "nice" house in Gbury, and a "very nice" home everywhere else. A piece of me says Glastonbury and/or the Birch Mountain area of Manchester/Bolton/Glastonbury may be what you're looking for. You can be in DT Hartford in literally 15 minutes, live on the Eastern Ridge, have a nice home, close to hiking trails to local parks, bike trails, shopping, city stuff in Manchester if you want it, access to the farm towns mentioned (Fish Family Dairy farm in Bolton for instance where you can take the kids for a barn tour and/or get fresh milk and icecream is only a few miles away http://www.fishfamilyfarm.com/ ) and the things Glastonbury has to offer. All within a 15 mile range.

We have one of the best state park systems in the nation as well which again, there are seveal within a 10-15 mile drive of said area.

Last edited by JViello; 03-18-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for such detailed info. This is wonderful.

Now I have to ask you to clarify something. You said...

"If you are more into the "chi chi" burb, Glastonbury has it down to a science - but homes are more expensive there."

LOL, I'm not sure what "chi chi" burb is? I've never heard that one, as I've only lived on the western side of the US most of my life. Does it mean yuppies-ville? Or people who like to appear rich and really aren't? Or who are very wealthy and they like to flaunt it?

If that is the case, I would say that I am looking for an area that has more down to earth, "wear your feelings on your sleeves sort of people." Not superficial. Some parts of California where I lived were like that and I want to get as far away from that as possible. I'm looking for a community that feels close and unified in their town. Kinda cheesy but somewhat of a "Maybury" type feel to it.

Although when I lived in Henderson, NV for a time even though the city is huge they try to encompass a hometown feel there (depending on what part you live in) So size isn't the issue, just the people and how they treat each other.

Are any of these places you mentioned above tourism areas? (besides Hartford of course...)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM

326 posts, read 1,293,195 times
Dear Gypsy-Dancer, I am here reading your post, going through your list and I keep mentally saying: "Check.....check.......check". I live in Glastonbury CT and my town meets every single of your points. The only issue may be cost of living. Connecticut is not a cheap state, and Glastonbury does not have a very cheap real estate market. Still, there are plenty of properties in town that would fit your budget for a home. The town is small (30,000); has a town feel; plenty of community events; theater workshops in Hartford, which has a marvelous stage life; performances from schools and teen groups abound; pick-your-own opportunities are exceptional; green and trees are everywhere, and the town is an up and down of hills covered with orchards; a nature trail runs 5 minutes from my home, and state parks are all around; lots of snow, spectacular falls, I'm waiting for the first daffodils, and summers are hot and lazy; my garden has been bountiful in its first here; one of the first things my husband and I did when we moved here was to take dance lessons at a dance school in town (we had to find an alternative to our glass of wine around the pool in the evening when we lived in South Florida); Univ of Conn is 35 minutes away (with plenty of stage life and concerts there as well) and so are several other colleges and university (not to discount Yale 50 minutes away); Boston and New York are 2-2.5 hours away; and, finally, the town is a little bit more democrat but the difference is little significant. I hope I sold you my town well enough, considering how hard they had it to unglue me from South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or