U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM

2,586 posts, read 5,400,518 times
Default Groundhog under my shed

I have a groundhog under my Shed it's out in the yard eating from our garden as I write this.
I knew there was something living under there but wasn't sure of what it was until know.

My kids and I often play out in the yard close by that shed. Is it a danger to my kids at all? I dont want to play near the shed if this animal could harm them as i know they can also carry rabies...

Should we have someone come remove it with a trap or let it be?

Our yard is VERY wooded with a small stream running through our property so it's a great habitat for him and we'd like him to stay as it's nice to watch him from the window....
Any comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Also, I'd post a pic but i dont know how..
Anyone tell me how to do that?

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,772,660 times
We had a groundhog living in our wooded backyard for years, he lived in a big hole in the ground. He was fun to watch as he wandered around around our yard, eating my flowers. My oldest kids at the time were very young, and the groundhog never bothered them. I have never heard of any groundhog attacks.

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM

12,007 posts, read 10,236,929 times
I don't know anything about groundhogs but here's an easy way to post a pic:

Go to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Press the Browse button and find the picture on your PC
Click the Upload Now button
Copy the code that's in the IMG Codes for Forums & Message Boards section
Paste it into this window

It will appear as code until you save your forum entry. Then it will appear as the photo.

It's easier than uploading it directly to the forum because then you can easily use the same photo more than once on City Data.

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Groundhog under my shed-p4130001.jpg

Here is the picture. Hope I did this right!

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

1,464 posts, read 2,574,697 times
Default Groundhog Under my Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I have a groundhog under my Shed it's out in the yard eating from our garden as I write this.
I knew there was something living under there but wasn't sure of what it was until know.My kids and I often play out in the yard close by that shed. Is it a danger to my kids at all? I dont want to play near the shed if this animal could harm them as i know they can also carry rabies...

Should we have someone come remove it with a trap or let it be?

Our yard is VERY wooded with a small stream running through our property so it's a great habitat for him and we'd like him to stay as it's nice to watch him from the window....
Any comments...
Just this past weekend, I heard from my sister in California who was having a similar problem to you with gophers...similar to a groundhog. Her gardener was talking with one of the elderly neighbors and this neighbor told him that you can buy these pellets that give off the smell of a fox and it keeps the gophers/groundhogs away as it scares them. My sister went online and sure enough, she found these pellet things. I can't recall right now what they were called, but look on the internet and see if you can find anything under "Fox Pellets"...or something similar. The gophers had been eating all her flowers and half the flowers on the hill across the street from her house. She lives in Miramar??? I think that's what it is called. We spend so much time emailing...her address alludes me now.

Fox Pellets...what can it hurt? If you do find them, sprinkle them near and under the garage..should scare the groundhog away.

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM

Well Luckily it just seems to be that one groundhog and he was eating our tulips that are just starting to sprout up. I suppose I'll see how it goes as to whether or not we need him to leave. It's just nice to see wildlife in the backyard, so far all the kids have seen are the deer so it's nice to have another addition to our yard...

haha..I dont think I've heard of groundhog "attacks" either..

Unread 04-14-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Well Luckily it just seems to be that one groundhog and he was eating our tulips that are just starting to sprout up. I suppose I'll see how it goes as to whether or not we need him to leave. It's just nice to see wildlife in the backyard, so far all the kids have seen are the deer so it's nice to have another addition to our yard...

haha..I dont think I've heard of groundhog "attacks" either..
Trust me, you will want this little bugger to leave! They are cute but boy do they love new plant shoots! I know what you mean about seeing wild animals. Where we live, there is a huge pasture across the street and I have seen deer, wild turkey, fox, groundhogs, coyote...they were scary, a huge turkey vulture..very ugly and a beautiful owl..huge had to look at him through binoculars but he was gorgeous.

Tell your kids this story....one late Spring, I looked out onto our side yard and saw a duck swimming in our inground pool. When I looked closer, I saw several baby ducks swimming behind her. I had my husband go shut off the skimmer so the little ducks would not go inside it. He came back in and told me that the Mommy duck and babies didn't flinch while he was down there shutting the skimmer off. Well, I got concerned as to how the babies were going to get out of the pool. They could jump in but, how were they going to get out? I took one of our chaise lounges that was beside the pool and put the end of it where you put your feet into the pool and made a ramp for them and....they used it I was able to sit by the pool for about a week and watch the babies get use to swimming and get stronger. After about a week, they were gone...all of them. There is a park nearby and I think one night the Mommy duck took off walking with her brood to the park where there are lots of other ducks and a big pond to swim in....TRUE STORY.

Unread 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Attachment 39731

Here is the picture. Hope I did this right!
You are right, that is a cute little critter...hope you don't miss your flowers! I am surprised he is living under your garage? Normally they like to live on hillsides or open fields..we have a few living across the street in a big pasture...wrote about the critters across the street from us in earlier post to you.

Don't try to feed this little guy...he will be like a wayward son and stay for good...can't and shouldn't tame wild animals. Loved the picture!

Unread 04-14-2009, 06:15 AM

He lives under a shed in our backyard, not the garage and the shed is RIGHT at the base of a LARGE uphill in our yard and also right next to a waterfall and stream, i would say it's an ideal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut