Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,386,864 times

Advertisements

In the CT job market What 4 year degree do you think is MOST helpful?
Which Major could get you decent money and allow you to have many job openings to apply for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM

21,517 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
In the CT job market What 4 year degree do you think is MOST helpful?
Which Major could get you decent money and allow you to have many job openings to apply for?
I would say probably Nursing or Criminal Justice. The program for Nursing is difficult but in the end, well worth it IMO. As for CJ - as people lose their jobs, crime tends to go up.

Are you thinking about going back to school?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,386,864 times
I'm enrolling for September but need to decide on the major.
I'm good at science and was thinking a 4 year in Biology but not sure there is enough to do with it.
I would do Nursing but the field is too competitive to get into a program especially for someone who has been out of college for 6 years and been at home with children.

So I'm interested in Medical aspects of science and life sciences.

Just making sure i dont waste 4 years of tuition on a degree that opens up no jobs..

Trying to see what other peoples opinions are on what would be best in CT

Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 PM

722 posts, read 1,972,116 times
Have u ever looked at engineering? Thats VERY popular at UCONN. Its hard, but I think it would be the same difficulty level as biology. My community assistant from last year was an electrical engineering major and he landed a job 3 weeks after he graduated with General Electric in Fairfield.

How about accounting? Even in this economy, I have a friend from high school that landed a job with Ernest & Young as an accountant.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times
I agree with brasscitybluenwhite, engineering would be an excellent choice. Mechanical, electrical, chemical or biomedical engineering degrees allow you MANY opportunities in a variety of places with excellent salaries.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,211,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm enrolling for September but need to decide on the major.
I'm good at science and was thinking a 4 year in Biology but not sure there is enough to do with it.
I would do Nursing but the field is too competitive to get into a program especially for someone who has been out of college for 6 years and been at home with children.
Hi KH02! Nursing is a great career choice! My daughter was accepted into the prenursing programs at Western, Southern, and Central without much difficulty. Getting into the program isn't that difficult, however to remain in it will be very competitive. She must earn top grades in the required curriculum her freshman year to continue in the program. Each school accepted about 150 prenursing students and roughly 50 will be selected out of those at the end of their freshman year, to continue.

If anything being a SAHM would be to your advantage to get into the program.

If this is something you really want to do, go talk to the departments. The outlook for employment and pay is fabulous!

Some hospitals still offer nursing schools, I know Bridgeport Hospital does.

My advice would be to follow your heart. Do what you enjoy doing!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM

21,517 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
If anything being a SAHM would be to your advantage to get into the program.
I agree.

KH02- I'm not sure where you're located but I know Naugatuck Valley CC has an affordable and decent program that is good for parents.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM

9,866 posts, read 14,195,958 times
I'd suggest nursing, accounting, engineering, computer science, or education.

Nursing and accounting jobs are pretty freakin' plentiful--even in this awful economy.

IT jobs are found with every company and pay extremely well.

Education is taking a hit in some areas due to decreasing city budgets, but it is still a solid field that pays a pension--rare these days.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM

136 posts, read 761,232 times
Engineering is a good choice. Just by looking at the company where my husband works, they have a hard time finding good engineers(chemical, mechanical, electrical). He has already employed few students from CCSU in New Britain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut