Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why the CT part of it really bothered you, you are already across the country?
Sacramento CA to Savannah GA = cross country already about 2730 miles
Sacramento CA to Cheshire CT = still cross country already about 2900 miles

Was there something about CT that was a problem for you? Really? Or are you really more angry (understandably) that the X lied, and is making plans without you?

What's more if you would have to go to MS for custody issues, doesn't she need to do the same to change their location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Just wondering why the CT part of it really bothered you, you are already across the country?
Sacramento CA to Savannah GA = cross country already about 2730 miles
Sacramento CA to Cheshire CT = still cross country already about 2900 miles

Was there something about CT that was a problem for you? Really? Or are you really more angry (understandably) that the X lied, and is making plans without you?

What's more if you would have to go to MS for custody issues, doesn't she need to do the same to change their location?
As my shrink notes, there's really two aspects to your first paragraph.

First, its a situation of content and process. My children are very - very smart. Excellent students. Now while I think good public schools are everywhere, since her BF is in Cheshire, and it has good public schools, that's a good thing. That's content.

But the process, as he noted, is going to suck whether I'm 3000 miles away or 3 blocks away. The kids are going to be uprooted and pulled around and while they're 9 and 7 now, by the time they're teens - and that's not far off - I doubt that they're going to want to spend any time with me, as their friends are going to be more important.

In other words, its just a bad situation, and its not going to improve, and that's just the way it is. She wants to be with her BF, and if he lived in rural Kansas, or Oklahoma, she'd point out how safe it was to live there. I *know* her, I lived with her for 10 years.

It just depresses and angers the daylights out of me to deal with her, and until the children get a little older, I'm going to have to go through her to talk to them - and it'll be worse in CT, as she'll no longer be living with her parents. It seems like the more I talk to her, the worse it gets, and it affects all aspects of my life, from the personal and at work. I just can't get away from it as hard as I try.

As to the moving thing, while any changes have to be done in MS, the court doesn't require her to come back to court to move... and while we have joint legal custody she basically ignores how I feel or think about choices.

And I simply don't like the East Coast. Sorry. I'm originally from Iowa, as I noted earlier in the thread, I've lived on the East Coast, and I simply think the part of the country west of the Mississippi river is a better place to live - for me. I would be miserable as hell living in CT, and that wouldn't be good for my children to see, either.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
And I simply don't like the East Coast. Sorry. I'm originally from Iowa, as I noted earlier in the thread, I've lived on the East Coast, and I simply think the part of the country west of the Mississippi river is a better place to live - for me. I would be miserable as hell living in CT, and that wouldn't be good for my children to see, either.
I'm a parent and anywhere my children are is home to me.
I wouldn't be miserable in ANY state or Country for that matter as long as I was with them....but that's just me.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm a parent and anywhere my children are is home to me.
I wouldn't be miserable in ANY state or Country for that matter as long as I was with them....but that's just me.
I need to spread the love around or you woulda got repped. Totally agree.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My impression of California is that it is full of selfish, obnoxious free-thinkers. It has earthquakes and wildfires everywhere; traffic is horrible with miles of traffic jams and is VERY expensive to live there. Is that true??? Of course it isn't. That is why your impression of Connecticut is WAY OFF. I am not sure why you think that what you experienced in VA is anything like Connecticut. Maybe parts of it are similar but certainly not the whole state.

Cheshire is a beautiful upscale town. Its schools are considered excellent and there are many very nice neighborhoods with friendly people. As he noted, our own Rich Lee lives there. That said, I can not tell you if there will be problems with your ex's BF or not. There is not much you can do about it. Good luck, Jay
That is EXACTLY how California is. Tell everyone you know and convince them they NEVER, EVER want to move here. Thanking you in advance.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I like the hot and humid summers so the summer humidity doesn’t bother me.
You must have gills instead of lungs. Or something like that.

High humidity is awful.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:08 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You must have gills instead of lungs. Or something like that.

High humidity is awful.
I agree - can't stand it.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:39 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I don't know much about this. But is she legally able to take them out of state away from their father?
I was wondering the same thing, I thought permission was needed of the non-custodial parent before moving out of state. Would also like to add that while I havent been to Cheshire in a # of years, it's a lovely town, we used to go there often when we lived in CT (I know Cheshire is out of the picture now but I wouldnt jump the gun and assume a town is bad just b/c it's a distance away unless there are other factors involved (which is sounds like)), arrangements can be made for the children to visit on holidays and vacations, not ideal but doable, and the OP can always fly there in between visits etc.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I know a couple in the state of Ct. who got divorced, and the ex-wife isn't allowed to move more than 30 miles away from the ex-husband. But maybe custody laws differ from state to state.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree - can't stand it.
Then you’re on the wrong side of the mainland boys and girls (lol).

In fact, the EuroMet and some of the global forecast models are moving in the direction a strong SW flow with the subtropical high (Bermuda High) becoming anchored off the coast of the South Atlantic states in the 30 - 90 day forecast. This is like the East Coast version of the summer monsoon. Think of it this way: surface air is drawn up from eastern Mexico/Gulf of Mexico (hot dry) on west winds…then humidity from the southern Bahamas and the tropical Atlantic is added… then it is channeled by southerly winds across the whole Eastern Seaboard from Georgia to Rhode Island. The stronger the SSW flow, the more humidity. This pattern was pretty typical in the 1930 to 1960 summers, then it was on and off again until around 1995. Since then it seems to be showing it’s face more often.

You’ll feel the humidity more and more in the coming days as the tropical sw flow strengthens. So this weekend might be just a preview of an old-fashioned East Coast summer spooling up once again (lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut