Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,585 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm hoping to gain some insight into New Haven for a possible relocation when my current lease is up. A little about myself: Currently living in East Norwalk (moved here 4 months ago), 23 years old, and work in Middlebury. Don't mind the current commute, but less mileage would be nice. Looking to buy a condo somewhere that would allow me to meet other young, working professionals and live in a lively area. I don't want to live in a rural or suburban area where I won't have the opportunity to meet people.

What areas of New Haven are desirable for the above situation? Is buying a condo in New Haven a poor choice? (I'm also considering buying in South Norwalk) Any suggestions on neighborhoods with residents similar to myself? If I bought a bought a 2 Br condo, could I expect to rent the other room out?

Thanks for your input,

mk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM

220 posts, read 525,068 times
East Rock has a lot of grad students and younger professionals in their 20s (and I would guess that most of them work at Yale--all of the non-students in my building do). Most of the condos in the neighborhood that I am aware of are individual floors of a house, rather than townhouse-style (so basically 2 or 3 condos in one building). I imagine that you might be able to rent out the second bedroom if you bought one of those condos.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
East Rock has a lot of grad students and younger professionals in their 20s (and I would guess that most of them work at Yale--all of the non-students in my building do). Most of the condos in the neighborhood that I am aware of are individual floors of a house, rather than townhouse-style (so basically 2 or 3 condos in one building). I imagine that you might be able to rent out the second bedroom if you bought one of those condos.
There is one complex comprised of 3-floor townhouses: Armory Court on Orange Street. The complex has 10 units. They're not cheap though...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 76,446 times
I would strongly rec renting first before you buy as you really wont know if you like living here and can tolerate the commute (there is no direct route from new haven to middlebury and in winter it could be grinding). I believe the condo market in New Haven is pretty weak and values may be depreciating a bit more so I would wait. What if you dont like it and then want to sell right away, it may be difficult. For a young single person, I would recommend living in the downtown area. It is pretty safe, alot of the medical residents, grad students and faculty live downtown as it is so close to Yale and Hospitals. I think I know what condos you are talking about and they are in a nice location, lots of restaurants, bars, music venues, arts, theater, etc. Downtown New Haven is walkable even at night esp around Yale (and Yale is almost everywhere there.) There is so much to do esp with Yale and the active night life. It is not just all undergrad, Yale has many older students and young faculty. Also consider the Wooster square neighborhood, which is also close to downtown but being right downtown might be nicer. West Rock (closer to Highway 34 and avoids alot of the new haven and 91 congestion) or East Rock neighborhoods may have more families but are also a posssiblity. There are so many condos so I would think some of them would be for rent.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,585 times
Thanks for the input. It seems as though downtown would be the best option. The reason for buying instead of renting would be the conlfluence of low interest rates, low prices, and the government credit.

Aside from New Haven, are there any other areas of CT that fit the description I seek? I like norwalk, but it's the furthest from work I'd be willing to commute from. Are there any other areas the same distance or closer to middlebury that would provide what I seek? What about danbury?

Thanks again,
mk

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk912 View Post
Thanks for the input. It seems as though downtown would be the best option. The reason for buying instead of renting would be the conlfluence of low interest rates, low prices, and the government credit.

Aside from New Haven, are there any other areas of CT that fit the description I seek? I like norwalk, but it's the furthest from work I'd be willing to commute from. Are there any other areas the same distance or closer to middlebury that would provide what I seek? What about danbury?

Thanks again,
mk
Not that I know of. The towns surrounding New Haven are very nice but suburban and rural. I think that you are right to want to stay closer to downtown New Haven for night life and meeting people. In my experience, you will meet a lot of people and have a very good time (I did when I lived there .)
There are "areas" of New Haven, such as East Rock , that are within the city limits but are not necessarily "downtown." There are also Westville and Wooster Square, among others. If you can't find anything downtown or in East Rock then I would look into either one of those.
There is also Fair Haven, which is a suburb but is still nearby (across the bridge.) It is not as urban but it is very close to downtown New Haven.
Good luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk912 View Post
Are there any other areas the same distance or closer to middlebury that would provide what I seek? What about danbury?
Middlebury from Danbury may actually be a better option than Middlebury from New Haven mainly because MBy is straight up 84. traffic wise, you'll be going against traffic going east bound in the morning and you'll be getting off before you reach the bottleneck in Waterbury. total time maybe a half-hour.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM

220 posts, read 525,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Not that I know of. The towns surrounding New Haven are very nice but suburban and rural. I think that you are right to want to stay closer to downtown New Haven for night life and meeting people. In my experience, you will meet a lot of people and have a very good time (I did when I lived there .)
There are "areas" of New Haven, such as East Rock , that are within the city limits but are not necessarily "downtown." There are also Westville and Wooster Square, among others. If you can't find anything downtown or in East Rock then I would look into either one of those.
There is also Fair Haven, which is a suburb but is still nearby (across the bridge.) It is not as urban but it is very close to downtown New Haven.
Good luck!
I would not call Fair Haven a suburb so much as a neighborhood within the city. I also don't think this is what the OP is looking for in terms of nightlife as there are consistent crime reports coming out of the area.

I would agree with the comment on Wooster Square and Westville, although Westville is fairly removed from the downtown area and Wooster Square is separated from downtown by railroad tracks.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Middlebury from Danbury may actually be a better option than Middlebury from New Haven mainly because MBy is straight up 84. traffic wise, you'll be going against traffic going east bound in the morning and you'll be getting off before you reach the bottleneck in Waterbury. total time maybe a half-hour.
if u get on at exit 16 and get off at route 69 u should encounter a small amount of traffic (less than a mile's worth)

If you think thats bad, you might be able to even go route 8 to naugatuck and get off on route 63, which may even be quicker than route 69, depending on which part of new haven ur tryin to get to (not to mention if you dont mind, you can stay on 63 in naugatuck and it would take u to middlebury)

Theres many ways to bypass waterbury..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut