Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 47,492 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have read just about everything here to do with Willimantic, talked to people I know, and I still am getting a mixed impression. Is it really THAT scary? Crimes seem at about the national average. I'm no fraidy cat, and seeing "poor" people loitering about doesn't offend my sensibilities, so be HONEST - and no arguing, please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

FACTORS:
We'd prefer not to live in fear of being mugged, or having our home broken into. (we also realize we must take all appropriate precautions ourselves)

We don't want to live "within a short drive" of EVERYTHING - we like to be within walking distance of grocery, restaurant, nightlife, bookstore, etc.

Need to be able to bus to Storrs - one of us is employed there, for just one year.

The other person needs a commercial space (small!) to operate a business out of. Would prefer not to have to operate out of a rented home, as bedrooms are small and costs are higher per sq. ft.

Would really like a modern home, not a drafty noisy chopped up antique house shared with a bunch of students...

I've lived in semi-urban areas with poverty and crime before, and I find it tolerable, as long as I can avoid the danger.

I'm interested in the arts and see that Willimantic is supposedly undergoing some revival and find the aspect of an arts-focused community very appealing.

I'm sort of imagining a very very tiny version of Portland Oregon, which would be great with me. Is this off the mark?

So... Willimantic... yes? no? Please help. And no arguing with other posters if you can help it. I can sort out the nuts

THANK YOU NUTMEG STATE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
There are a lot of opinions on Willimantic. One newspaper decided to sensationalize "heroin, addicts, and their effect on Willimantic." Willimantic certainly doesn't get a lot of coverage of the evening news.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 PM

yes, i see most of the news results are for drunk driving in the area. and the article in the courant was from 2002. i'm interested to see what people think of that now. thank you rich!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
There are a lot of opinions on Willimantic. One newspaper decided to sensationalize "heroin, addicts, and their effect on Willimantic." Willimantic certainly doesn't get a lot of coverage of the evening news.
There was also a segment on 60 minutes regarding the issue at the time. Whether or not the town was/is being unfairly maligned, i'll have to leave that opinion to others who are more familiar with Willimantic.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Agreed. While the city does have problems (where doesn't nowadays), it's hardly a place that violent crime would occur. You're more likely to see druggies than pistols.

Willimantic is located in the most rural area of CT so you will have to drive to malls, cities, etc.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I used to go to college at ECSU in Willimantic.

My opinion...I would never live there!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
Quote:
FACT: if you don't live in Hartford or New Haven, ur town will most likely not be on the evening news.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM

so.... what i am getting here is that the reputation might be blown out of proportion, but most people would not willingly live there... agree? or is it ok to live there? i have until tuesday to decide. !!!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konekochan View Post
so.... what i am getting here is that the reputation might be blown out of proportion, but most people would not willingly live there... agree? or is it ok to live there? i have until tuesday to decide. !!!
Willimantic is a blue collar/college town There are some very nice neighborhoods and some rundown ones. I think you'll do just fine there. I know several people who live in Willi and believe me they dont live in fear... However, you will see a few poor souls trudging up and down main street all day long waiting for the shelter to open. You'll be fine.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 58,193 times
Lived in Willimantic for a couple of years. The area around it is beautiful, and there were people very dedicated to the town and trying to make it work. But otherwise - I can't say I'd recommend it. Maybe its changed - I hope se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut