U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,758 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are hoping to build a home in the northeast part of Bloomfield, but we may end have to go somewhere else because of the ridiculously high property taxes. We really want to build this house, but we're afraid of having to pay $8000 a year just for property taxes. I'm just wondering how the town can justify having taxes that high with the terrible education system they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,442 times
Have you considered East Granby or Suffield instead?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,758 times
We've looked at other towns, but in order to have the house built that we really want our only option is in Bloomfield. The builder only has lots available in Bloomfield. It's disappointing to find a house we love in our price range, but not be able to build it because of taxes.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,442 times
Keep looking around! You'll eventually find something!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 PM

2,766 posts, read 8,839,168 times
I wouldn't build it in Bloomfield anyway because the resale value on stuff there will stink because of the bad schools and high taxes

Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedman8013 View Post
My girlfriend and I are hoping to build a home in the northeast part of Bloomfield, but we may end have to go somewhere else because of the ridiculously high property taxes. We really want to build this house, but we're afraid of having to pay $8000 a year just for property taxes. I'm just wondering how the town can justify having taxes that high with the terrible education system they have.
Sounds about right, welcome to CT.

The pot is already starting to boil and we are the frogs who denied the water was getting warmer.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 AM

200 posts, read 536,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Sounds about right, welcome to CT.

The pot is already starting to boil and we are the frogs who denied the water was getting warmer.
So move..... ? You whine a lot about your taxes!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:49 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,805,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Sounds about right, welcome to Conn.

The pot is already starting to boil, and we are the frogs who denied the water was getting warmer.
It's not that bad here. As a REALTOR® belonging to the Statewide MLS, we now have access to the Westchester-Putnam MLS (WPMLS). After browsing a bit, I cannot believe the taxes in my hometown of Dover. Dutchess County is a steal compared to Putnam and Westchester, but it's still higher than Connecticut!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
It's not that bad here. As a REALTOR® belonging to the Statewide MLS, we now have access to the Westchester-Putnam MLS (WPMLS). After browsing a bit, I cannot believe the taxes in my hometown of Dover. Dutchess County is a steal compared to Putnam and Westchester, but it's still higher than Connecticut!
To me, that's like trying to determine which type of cancer is worse. It's all cancer. CT may be lower than the the two highest taxed states, but that's not saying much. Kind like taking third place in an ugly contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
So move..... ? You whine a lot about your taxes!

Whine? Hardly. More like outright anger.

Since you want to "keep it real" ala DM, how's this for real.

I'm a small business owner. I employ 8 people full time. For state income tax and personal property tax I have to write a check, for real, in US dollars for $26,000.00. It's due "now". That's just for the privilege of employing people and owning equipment which to keep them employed with.

Add to that because I'm a "evil business owner" I just got slapped with a "new" self employment tax of $8000.00 on TOP of my regular Federal income tax payment due of almost $8000.00.

That does not include "little" things like $250.00 per year just for having LLC paperwork. (We are the only state in the nation to do that.) I also have environmental taxes out the wazoo again, just for doing business in CT and POSSIBLY having hazmat waste.

Furthermore, I worked myself to the BONE last year to get ahead $20K to pay down some debt and do some work on our house. 14-16 hour days. (Yes most of my posts are via laptop and wireless.) I sacrificed family time and my personal health to do so. Well, that just went out the window to pay for unexpected taxes. We did our best to prepare for it, but with an 80,000 page tax code even "smart" folks like Timothy Geithner the guy who now runs the IRS can't figure it out. I killed myself last year to get ahead by a small amount only to hand it, and another 8k over the government. Yea, that makes me angry.

So if you'd like to write that check for $26,000.00 for me, feel free. It has nothing to do with or based on any money I've earned so save the "if you earned it you can afford it" speech. I live in a 55 year old home and drive an 11 year old pickup. That tax right there was all at the state and local level and simply just for being an employer and owning equipment.

Maybe I will move and put 8 family men in CT out of work. I'd get a pretty nice raise right off the top just for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut