U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 08:17 AM

19,001 posts, read 30,100,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
This is not to knock CT but when you say Raleigh is basically suburbia here then what do think CT is primiarily? This state is one giant suburb with patches of rural areas and patches on some urban. It's even historically described at the suburban state on a pbs special about CT I saw last year. I'd imagine, and I have never been to Raleigh, that it is larger, more populated and a better city than what CT has to offer. CT's strengths are not in their cities. CT's strengths are in it's new england towns along the coast and in Litchfield that are filled with culture and scenary and restaurants. These are places that people want to move to from out of state because they saw "Mystic Pizza." There are places in CT where you can feel the history of New England and eat fantastic seafood. And there are places in CT that look no different from some area of upstate NY or the midwest and are one giant strip mall with the Olive Garden being the area's high point. BUT the best thing about CT is it is small and fairly convienent. It takes less than an hour to go to those quaint places.

I guess everything is a matter of perceptive. I remember the first time I saw Los Angles and thought aside from a few square blocks that it was hardly a city like NY or Chicago. It was one massive suburbs.
Raleigh and Hartford have metropolitain areas that are about the same size but the difference is that the City of Raleigh covers a much larger area than Hartford. Raleigh has 353,000 people with 134 square miles. The City of Hartford is about 17 square miles with 121,000 people. But Hartford is surrounded by a lot of small fiercely independent towns that do not want to be associated with the City of Hartford. These towns have long proud histories and do not want their identities to be over shadowed by a large city even though they are part of a large metropolitan area. Jay

Old 05-11-2007, 08:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 15,503,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
This is not to knock CT but when you say Raleigh is basically suburbia here then what do think CT is primiarily? This state is one giant suburb with patches of rural areas and patches on some urban.
The suburbs of the South are totally different than "suburban" living here. If you simply define suburb as "areas between an urban metro and cow pasture" then it might fit.

But there are really no master planned communities, no stamped out sub divisions that run into one another, no highway loop around a city core that feeds those subdivisions...every road to them is not a divided blvd lined with strip malls and I really can't think of a gated community in this state even in Greenwich.

Here you might find a sprinkle of 4000sf modern colonials built amongst some 50-60 year old homes and a few hundred year old homes all mixed together. Hardly the typical suburb with an HOA...another rarity in this state.

And if you were to tell me that Manchester is a planned community in the shadow of Hartford I would say you don't know your history.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM

106 posts, read 288,126 times
One of the biggest differences between some of New England and the "new" South area that is booming is the sense of history. In these booming areas everything is new and cookie cutter. When you go to say the Mystic area of CT you can feel the history and get a sense of what it was like for a whaler in 1877 to go out to sea. People change, clothing changes, technical advances and some businesses come and go but otherwise everything is old. This is a good thing to me because I like to be around a sense of tradition. Hopefully it will not be overly developed in the future.

I was in Newport RI this weekend and it was anything but cookie cutter. A rich history is there and you feel it with every step... that is when you're walking off the insane food you just ate because the restaurants are awesome.

When I've gone to Florida and South Carolina I did not get this sense of history, but I was in the more developed population boom areas and I'm sure if I went to say a Charleston SC I would feel what I feel in some of CT, MA and RI.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 PM

565 posts, read 1,660,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
But there are really no master planned communities, no stamped out sub divisions that run into one another, no highway loop around a city core that feeds those subdivisions...every road to them is not a divided blvd lined with strip malls and I really can't think of a gated community in this state even in Greenwich.

Here you might find a sprinkle of 4000sf modern colonials built amongst some 50-60 year old homes and a few hundred year old homes all mixed together.
I can think of many gated communities in Greenwich, Stamford, Ridgefield, Danbury, Middlebury, Woodbridge, Oxford, Trumbull, Darien, New Fairfield, Westport, etc.

You don't think CT has stripmalls? Who are you trying to kid?? LOL! Have you been down the Berlin Turnpike, Boston Post Road, Newtown & Federal Roads in Danbury, most of Waterbury, Derby, Ansonia, Fairfield and New Milford? Even when driving along state roads such as Rt 63 or Rt 7, strip malls are the norm. Coming from someone who lives in Manchester, I would think you'd see this daily.

If you drive around some thriving communities (such as Southbury or Brookfield) many of the new homes are all the same, with just 2 or 3 housing styles. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful, but every home is cookie cutter. It's not only in NC. I also see it in Canton, Burlington, Derby, Monroe, New Milford and Thomaston.

Quote:
And if you were to tell me that Manchester is a planned community in the shadow of Hartford I would say you don't know your history.
I just read much of the posts and I don't think anybody said this.

Also when discussing sports, this thread is a CT or NC thread. You can't say CT is more involved with sports because of the Patriots (based in MA) or the Red Sox (also in MA). CT has no professional sports teams so to even begin to say that sports are a part of CT itself is just untrue. UCONN basketball is about as big as it gets.

Last edited by jeremeyk482; 05-11-2007 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,956,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
You don't think CT has stripmalls? Who are you trying to kid?? LOL! Have you been down the Berlin Turnpike, Boston Post Road, Newtown & Federal Roads in Danbury, most of Waterbury, Derby, Ansonia, Fairfield and New Milford? Even when driving along state roads such as Rt 63 or Rt 7, strip malls are the norm. Coming from someone who lives in Manchester, I would think you'd see this daily.
Looking at it from this angle, it makes sense that these strip malls are located where 75 percent of the state's population is located. Being from New York state, I noticed the same thing in Poughkeepsie (Route 9), Jefferson Valley (Route 202), and Carmel (Route 6), etc.

As a result, I never sensed that much of a difference among Connecticut (Hartford, New Haven, and Fairfield Counties), downstate New York, or northern New Jersey.

With that being said, I was always at a loss when I'd hear, "Connecticut is typically New England."

To this day, I don't see how based on the parts of Connecticut to which I've been exposed. Having been to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire, I still think that Connecticut resembles New York or New Jersey more.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm with ya JeremyK and Rich Lee. Been trying to say that in a round about way but I always get hammered by posters that seem to live right by a lighthouse and have season tickets to the Bushnell or something.

The topic that makes me cringe the most is when people speak highly of Hartford as a city to people from other states who haven't a clue. People can quote statistics and name restaurants but the average native CT person knows that Hartford is not the city of the future and wouldn't go into it if it didn't have the area's only major medical center.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,956,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
Im originally from NY
NYS or NYC?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 PM

565 posts, read 1,660,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Looking at it from this angle, it makes sense that these strip malls are located where 75 percent of the state's population is located. Being from New York state, I noticed the same thing in Poughkeepsie (Route 9), Jefferson Valley (Route 202), and Carmel (Route 6), etc.

As a result, I never sensed that much of a difference among Connecticut (Hartford, New Haven, and Fairfield Counties), downstate New York, or northern New Jersey.

With that being said, I was always at a loss when I'd hear, "Connecticut is typically New England."

To this day, I don't see how based on the parts of Connecticut to which I've been exposed. Having been to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire, I still think that Connecticut resembles New York or New Jersey more.
I couldn't agree more with this assessment. To say that CT doesn't have strip malls, cookie cutter homes, gated communities, etc is hogwash.

Sure many towns are quaint in Connecticut and do resemble New England, but where most people on this forum would be purchasing a home is not in extreme NE or NW Connecticut. It's more likely than not in Fairfield, New Haven and Hartford Counties. These places, as Rich Lee has pointed out, are no different than the suburban atmosphere that has taken over much of the nation.

The only difference is maybe the topography, per capita income, and price (excluding Hartford). Otherwise, it's all the same.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 15,503,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
I can think of many gated communities in Greenwich, Stamford, Ridgefield, Danbury, Middlebury, Woodbridge, Oxford, Trumbull, Darien, New Fairfield, Westport, etc.

If you drive around some thriving communities (such as Southbury or Brookfield) many of the new homes are all the same, with just 2 or 3 housing styles. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful, but every home is cookie cutter. It's not only in NC. I also see it in Canton, Burlington, Derby, Monroe, New Milford and Thomaston.

I just read much of the posts and I don't think anybody said this.

Also when discussing sports, this thread is a CT or NC thread. You can't say CT is more involved with sports because of the Patriots (based in MA) or the Red Sox (also in MA). CT has no professional sports teams so to even begin to say that sports are a part of CT itself is just untrue. UCONN basketball is about as big as it gets.
Okay, I'm on my way out to dinner and can't reply in length right now, but let me ask you this.

Have you ever lived outside of CT? If so, where and when...because you are CLUELESS to think CT resembles ANYTHING NEAR NC or SC, or GA or VA etc regarding suburbia.

A list of those gated communities would be nice too since you can think of them off the top of your head...considering I could pass at least 10-15 on my way from Metro West to Buena Vista during my commute in HEL...Er, FL. (That's a pretty short drive BTW - but you already know that...right? )

Answer that and I'll be back...thanks.

P.S. Golden, I'm just a middle class working guy and don't own property near a lighthouse...I think you need to explore this state beyond SE CT and get over the fact that the middle class CAN survive and enjoy a good life in this state.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'm on my way out to dinner and can't reply in length right now, but let me ask you this.

P.S. Golden, I'm just a middle class working guy and don't own property near a lighthouse...I think you need to explore this state beyond SE CT and get over the fact that the middle class CAN survive and enjoy a good life in this state.
Whoa whoa... I have explored this state from top to bottom. We went over that last month when you attacked my assessment that there isn't a lot of culture seeking people on every corner and the Olive Garden is packed on Weekends.

And in exploring this state I can safely say I know where it's strengths and weaknesses are. My role on this board has become the middle man who understands both why people are leaving this state and why people, such as you, chose to live here. I objectively see both sides due to my travels throughout the area. Some people's role have become troll-like with nothing but bad, negative things to say about CT. Your role is to scoff at anyone saying something bad about CT and to defend this state as though you were the governor and bring up statistics to intimidate.

Here's the facts... CT is full of strip malls and fast food, chain restaurants. Much of CT does not have a definate look while that does not mean entirely it looks like anything down South, I stand by it looking like any number of regions in NY, Indiana and Penn' just to name a few. HOWEVER, and this is before you chime in... Yes, there are spots that look exactly like New England or some out of stater think CT sould look like. Those spots are primarily in the New London County area, New Haven County area and to a degree Litchfield. Hartford County in particular does not have a special New England feel to it. And yes, you will disagree with me because I dared say a word that differs from your opinion. People from Ohio who want to move to CT to have that CT feel... Stonington, Mystic, Madison, Essex, Lyme are just a few places. Enfield, Tolland, Manchester, Windsor and alike will look nothing different from upstate NY (yes, I've been there). And I'm not going to name every town in CT - those are examples of what people want and do not want when it comes to a true CT town and life. And as someone pointed out it is more expensive to live in these such areas and the average person will have a difficult time buying a good home there. Is it more expensive than living in Manhattan or living in California? No, but everything is a matter of perception.

Now please stop waving the CT flag. We know you went to NC and you tried and found it not to be your liking. You came back to CT. Unstandable. But ease off the propaganda throttle. If I want to know a great eatery in CT I cannot think of a more knowledgable poster than you. It's true. Same goes if I were wondering about an event or the directions to a place, but you have to understand, like you at one point, some people are fed up and are thinking the move to NC is a good fit. Let 'em go. Either they'll come back and say you're right and kiss CT ground or they'll love it. We're all different. Some of us posters think some areas of CT are not quite like some people suggest and other places are "spot on" New England with wonderful chowder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut