Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The quality of life IMHO does not compare in any way to New England. Spent time there 7 years ago- it was HOT, dusty, and culturally

barren. Yup the parks may be pretty- but beyond that-nothing.
Why are so many people moving to Arizona, and more people are moving out of New England than are moving into New England? If you ever visited Arizona in a month like December, January, or February, and compared the weather and what you could do in those months with the weather and what one could do during the same time of year in New England, then one would find it hard to leave Arizona.

I know that the Phoenix area is hot, but there are nearby high-elevation towns such as Prescott, Flagstaff, and Payson that offer great ourdoor recreational opportunities and a respite from the summer heat.

Ken Akerman

Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Highpointer

with all due respect- population influx can have its down sides as well. Nasty sprawl, increased crime, bad traffic, poor schools and inadequate or lacking local infrastructure because governments have kept taxes so low- there is not enough money for the needed improvements.

Just because people flock to a specific location, does not mean they will A. be Happy B. Have a high quality of life.

As for climate- Yes the weather in Phoenix and Tucson from November to April is pleasant compared to New England and the northern tier of states.

However as I found out its from May to October when the region becomes an oven like inferno. Dry heat or not is still very uncomfortable- I frankly would rather take 3-4 months of cold weather then nearly 6 months of cloudless sunny, hot 100-120 degree weather endlessly.

Also I may add for the near future, because of global warming/climate change the weather In AZ is likely to become even hotter and drier causing more problems for the residents and new comers. Water will become an even larger variable.

In 10-15 years many areas of the southwest could actually see outmigration because of the extreme weather conditions for 6 months of the year. While weather in New England for the same reasons will increasingly see milder winters and longer springs through Autumns.

Yes Prescott and Flagstaff are very pleasant because of elevation- but it also extremely expensive.

Lastly on an intangible such as quality of life and education
Arizona ranked near the bottom of all states CT ranked in the top 5. People may be flocking to the state; however that does not mean it will be good for them.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-05-2007 at 04:42 AM..

Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why are so many people moving to Arizona, and more people are moving out of New England than are moving into New England? If you ever visited Arizona in a month like December, January, or February, and compared the weather and what you could do in those months with the weather and what one could do during the same time of year in New England, then one would find it hard to leave Arizona.

I know that the Phoenix area is hot, but there are nearby high-elevation towns such as Prescott, Flagstaff, and Payson that offer great ourdoor recreational opportunities and a respite from the summer heat.

Ken Akerman
The vast majority of Arizona's population come from California. They are moving to escape excessively high housing costs and taxes. Yes I will admit that a couple of months of the year that Arizonia weather is nicer than New England, but the rest of the year the heat is obscene. Definitely not for me. I do not understand why people would rather deal with several months of unbearable heat rather than a few snow storms. The weather here in NE isn't that bad, IMHO. Jay

Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why are so many people moving to Arizona, and more people are moving out of New England than are moving into New England?
Frankly, you're clueless. ALL the New England states have had net population gains from 2000-2005 and in fact New Hampshire has grown faster than the national average. So where did you get that notion that we are losing population?

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html

Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Jviello, Highpointer is correct-more people have moved out of New England than into it, in recent years. The population growth that has occured is due to other factors. He didn't say that the NE is losing population. There have been articles published about this recently, which I would link if I was not so tired at the moment...

Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Frankly, you're clueless. ALL the New England states have had net population gains from 2000-2005 and in fact New Hampshire has grown faster than the national average. So where did you get that notion that we are losing population?

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html

According to this link, every state but North Dakota had a population gain from 2000. However, many of the New England and Mid-Atlantic states had growth rates between 0.0 and 2.0 (New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts). Contrast these figures with those of Nevada (20.8), Arizona (15.8), Georgia (10.8), and North Carolina (7.9) and one can see that the Northeast is shrinking (by virtue of not growing at the same rate) compared to states in other regions. There are many others (Idaho, Texas, and Utah, for example) that are growing at significantly higher rates than the national average.

Another good barometer is the Electoral College as it changes every 10 years.

Eight states gained electoral votes, based on Census 2000 results, since the last presidential election in 2000. Four of these states — Arizona, Florida, Georgia and Texas — each gained two votes. The other four — California, Colorado, Nevada and North Carolina — gained one apiece.

Ten states had fewer electoral votes in 2004 than in 2000. Two states — New York and Pennsylvania — each lost two votes. The other eight — Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma and Wisconsin — each lost one vote.

The growth rate for Connecticut is comparable to that of Indiana and Wyoming.

NOTE: the 2004 elections used census data from 2000; the 2000 elections used census data from 1990.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 05-05-2007 at 09:21 PM..

Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Jviello, Highpointer is correct-more people have moved out of New England than into it, in recent years. The population growth that has occured is due to other factors. He didn't say that the NE is losing population. There have been articles published about this recently, which I would link if I was not so tired at the moment...
Demographic patterns since the late 1960s and early 70s till now will obviously see the so called 'Sunbelt' states far outstripping areas of the Midwest and most of the northeast in population growth. That is certainly proven in the Demographic and census data, and the change of the electoral landscape, with the gain of political clout of the south, and southwest.

The reasons for this are weather and costs; However in an interesting piece from the AARP (which I belong) did have a map showing 'creeping' climatic zones' with milder temperatures further north compared to 30 years ago .And as I alluded to above climate change is likely going to make all these areas south and west both hotter-much hotter in fact.- in the near future. With more cyclonic storms in the south, and more drought further west.

The climate in the northeast is simply growing warmer. Washington DC is the 'New North Carolina' was something I read in the Washington Post over the winter. The Post article talked about 'zone creep' and how some palms are now growing in the DC area- along with other plants from the south that would have never been tried a few decades ago.

In Connecticut; well in my garden I grew two cold hardy Asiatic fan palms through the winter with minimal protection and they survived and are thriving. I may also add I have had a Giant Sequoia growing on the estate for 3 years.

Other reasons for the so called exodus to the Sunbelt; Cheaper living/lower costs. Well not in Florida. Housing costs in the major metro areas are ALL higher then CT outside of Fairfield county. And taxes are rising. Homeowners Insurance costs thousands in Florida.

AZ has housing costs that are near Hartford's with Phoenix about the same, Tucson and little lower, while Flagstaff and Prescott higher.

California? CT looks like a dime store.
Areas of the mid south still have an advantage over CT- while NC- well we have over and over here beat that into the grown pro and con.

Therefore, its in the stats that the 'Sunbelt' states have seen a fairly large in migration in the last 3 decades or so- that may not continue with as much fervor in the future. And may shift to other areas.

The biggest wild card is climate change- which could render these areas too hot in the very near future. And with costs Soon to reach a near parody with southern New England- a continued migration into these areas may slow and even come to a halt.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-06-2007 at 05:18 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
I keep hearing about this supposed warming, but honestly, I work outside and I was wearing longjohns still just a few weeks ago : )

I have been suprised to see, recently, in my town, two housing developments being built for over-55 people. So, I do think that some folks do choose to retire here, at least part-time. Maybe they live here in summer and down south in winter? These are nice developments, SFHs.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I keep hearing about this supposed warming, but honestly, I work outside and I was wearing longjohns still just a few weeks ago : )

I have been suprised to see, recently, in my town, two housing developments being built for over-55 people. So, I do think that some folks do choose to retire here, at least part-time. Maybe they live here in summer and down south in winter? These are nice developments, SFHs.

Climate change/global warming is more then your personal anecdote of wearing long johns a few weeks ago LOL
The average yearly temperature at the university of Connecticut at Storrs in more then 3 degrees warmer the 100 years ago.
Considering during the last Ice age it was around 6-7 degrees cooler then today- it something not to pooh pooh so lightly.

See this excellent link from the Union of Concerned Scientists about shifting climates in the Northeast in the years to come.
http://www.climatechoices.org/ne/

It is in fact a serious problem- to dismiss it so lightly- it is likely to come back to bite many of us in on the backside- and sooner then even we may think.

Yes I agree with the over 55 housing in the state- Condo's detached homes etc. Many are opting for those instead of moving to the Sunbelt.
And the homeowners is under $200 a year! While in Most of Florida the same type of property would cost thousands to insure

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-06-2007 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Default Percentages of mobile homes in CT vs. NC

Here is one point of evidence where Connecticut is superior to Arizona. Most of us can agree that people who live in mobile homes are generally not intelligent, affluent, or sophisticated people. The percentage of Connecticut's housing units that are mobile homes is only 0.8 percent. The only state with a lower percentage is Hawaii. In contrast, 16.4% of North Carolina's housing units are mobile homes. This is higher than every state except for South Carolina, West Virginia, Mississippi, and New Mexico.
Ken Akerman

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut