U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

2,714 posts, read 8,432,177 times

Advertisements

I went to Mt Greylock in Mass. It is a REALLY nice place to hike!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,564,129 times
Sorry if some of these have been mentioned, here are some of my favorites:

talcott mountain
Reservoir #6 in Bloomfield (not really a hike)
Reservoir off Farmington Ave in WH - not sure what the real name is (not really a hike)
Peoples State Forest (I think its barkhamstead)
Cotton Hollow Preserve in Glastonbury
Case Mountain in Manchester
And my wife an I once did a section of the shenipsit trail. We started near the glastonbury/ marlborough line. Sections of it were really pretty, but parts of it are now literally in the backyards of Mcmansions that have sprung up in that area so that took some of the nature scene away, but the walk was still nice.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,885,700 times
Out in the Berkshires... the piece of Appalachian trail that goes over Mt Grace and Mt Everett is really beautiful. You get to it from a local road in the town of Mt Washington, Mass. Or you can turn right at a certain point and hike the AT up to Bear Mtn in Connecticut. Off the same road in Mt Washington State Forest is the hike up Alander Mountain. Gorgeous views at the top and lots of blueberries to pick along the way if you go in July. Nearby is a lovely, easy nature walk at Bartholemew's Cobble along the Housatonic River in Sheffield.

Right in Hadley-South Hadley is Mt. Holyoke, which is a relatively easy hike up from state route 47 and has nice amenities at the top, especially the Summit House which was a functioning hotel in the 19th century (you can also drive up Mt Holyoke). Beautiful views from there over countryside in Hadley, Amherst, Northampton. Or hike in either direction from the Notch visitor center on Route 116.

Also there's Quabbin Park, in the Quabbin reservation off route 9 in Belchertown. Very scenic, and the visitor center has interesting material on the land-takings and construction of the great reservoir.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM

625 posts, read 1,666,600 times
A good resource for hikes (and museums) in the area... Hikes at Connecticut Museum Quest

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM

420 posts, read 960,372 times
I agree with Uconn97, Talcott Mountain is the absolute best!!! Never will you see more beautiful views of the Connecticut countryside. Especially beautiful in the fall, with all of the colors, and a river that winds along seemingly endless farmland and forest. It's in Simsbury I do believe, and it is an absolute MUST.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,493,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I agree with Uconn97, Talcott Mountain is the absolute best!!! Never will you see more beautiful views of the Connecticut countryside. Especially beautiful in the fall, with all of the colors, and a river that winds along seemingly endless farmland and forest. It's in Simsbury I do believe, and it is an absolute MUST.

I do love Talcott Mountain, but I wanted to get into something a bit more challenging.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,564,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I do love Talcott Mountain, but I wanted to get into something a bit more challenging.
Not sure which way you usually get to the top of Talcott Mnt - probably via the main entrance off route 185?? There is actually a harder climb to the top - if you park at reservoir #6 in bloomfield off route 44. Follow the unpaved trail to the left and when the trail starts to curve around the water there is a marked path that will take you to the top of the mountain, but at a steeper climb. Thats one thing i love about this state is all the options to enjoy the scenery!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,493,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Not sure which way you usually get to the top of Talcott Mnt - probably via the main entrance off route 185?? There is actually a harder climb to the top - if you park at reservoir #6 in bloomfield off route 44. Follow the unpaved trail to the left and when the trail starts to curve around the water there is a marked path that will take you to the top of the mountain, but at a steeper climb. Thats one thing i love about this state is all the options to enjoy the scenery!

Thanks for the info. Uconn! I didn't know there was another entrance. We've always used the main entrance off Route 185. There's actually a really nice overlook at Penwood Park as well.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 AM

420 posts, read 960,372 times
You could also try Devil's Hopyard in East Haddam...not necessarily a hard climb, but a fun one through the forest. At the end of the hike is a huge waterfall (I forget the name) but it truly makes the hike worthwhile.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

113 posts, read 443,747 times
Oh my god! This thread has actually made me miss Ct! This is the first time in the 2 years I have been gone that I miss it. I love the Litchfield hills. The woods around Kent and Cornwall. Even Sleeping Giant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut